[UPDATE] Phantom plummets into the Ocean. Have FPV video. What happened?

Re: Phantom plummets into the Ocean. Have FPV video. What ha

The problem with me is that if I drop it in a lake and can not get it back, I am done. There will be no replacement. Same thing if it HARD crashes on land and there are 100 broken pieces, I am done. But at least on the land it may be less of a problem picking it up and maybe, if lucky, not broken too much.

Marlin009 said:
When I talked to him he asked me what color mark it had. He wasn't concerned with the label, the beeps during start up, serial #, etc just the color of the mark. Red and blue = bad, yellow = good. They sent me a PPD label to send it in.

I spoke to them yesterday. They flew it and confirmed they were in fact wrong and will replace them.

First time I heard about the yellow mark being good. I dont recall seeing a yellow mark before, most have been blue or red.

jflyer3... Really sucks you lost your phantom like that, it 100% trully looks like a mechanical failure that you had no control over.

Definitely Motor or ESC failure of some type. It was not a battery failure since you had fpv and telemetry data the whole time.
I dont remember... did you contact dji earlier about the esc thing? did you get an email reply or anything?

What dvr were you using? Does the DVR also record the sound around you or did you add that in?

I guess the termial velocity of a Phantom falling is 22m/s... 50mph freaking crazy. I hope a falling quadcopter never lands on anyone

I enjoyed your other videos on your youtube page!

Reactions: turbodronepilot

Marlin009 said:
Hughie - That seems to be a reasonable conclusion to draw. When he said that it was the first I had heard of red or yellow markings.
Did the spares you had have any marking?
The ESCs I took off, which had no version label, looked like yours and had a blue/black mark. The 2.1s all had yellow.

Hughie said:
Marlin009 said:
Hughie - That seems to be a reasonable conclusion to draw. When he said that it was the first I had heard of red or yellow markings.
The ESCs I took off, which had no version label, looked like yours and had a blue/black mark. The 2.1s all had yellow.

My 2.1 has yellow as well.

robinb said:
Hughie said:
Marlin009 said:

My 2.1 has yellow as well.

Interesting, that the DJI dealer I used in the UK has responded to an email I sent over the weekend as to whether I should proactively fit the v2.1 ESCs I already had, in order to minimise risk. He said that since it has been flying OK since November don't bother. He also said that most of the problems they had seen with ESCs were mainly Visions (which is a surprise to me). I have a Non Vision. He states that DJI have not released any information about what the difference is in the firmware between v2.1 and the previous versions.

mendezl said:
What dvr were you using? Does the DVR also record the sound around you or did you add that in?

I enjoyed your other videos on your youtube page!

Thanks, mendezl.

I use is an RMRC FPV1000 DVR. If you have a V2.0 Phantom2 or V3.0 Phantom2V get a DVR…now.

Just wanted to give you an update on this incident. I contacted DJI, filled out their "RTHF Survey" form, and sent them the URL to the youtube video of my Phantom falling into the ocean.

Their first response was:

"First, we want to remind you that the remote connection our Phantoms use can be interfered with by outside sources as per FCC law. Flying near any large amounts of concrete, steel, powerlines, wifi technology, and other man-made sources can affect the behavior of the aircraft. Also, calibrating the compass over or near any of these objects or material can cause issues in flight. This is a general reminder and may not necessarily apply to your situation.
We would like to offer you 30% off a new purchase of a Phantom 2 + H3-3D + iOSD mini for $719.60"

Clearly this was a form letter response. I asked them to please review the video link I sent them. I also mentioned that this was one of the early V2.0 Phantom's with ESC v2's that had a history of sudden failures.

"After reviewing the survey and watching the link to the video provided, it seems that there were some precautions and steps you could have taken to prevent this. I have put some follow up questions below to help figure out what happened:

1. Were you flying in Atti or GPS mode?
  2. Where, and how did you mount the iOSD?
  3. What 3rd party hardware was attached to the unit at the time, and where, and how were they installed?
The reason i ask, is it appears that there was noise on your monitor, seconds prior to the incident, indicating some type of electromagnetic pulse, or interference.

Nothing that has to do with the motors, or ESC's would make the video glitch like that."

I answered their 3 questions and noted that the video glitches were typical of those I see when I'm 1 km out or my antenna is not pointed directly at the Phantom.

I also noted that in the movie you can see the video signal and battery level are all working perfectly even as the Phantom is falling from 50 meters down to 4 meters. This indicated that the wiring had not shorted out. The last iOSD height on the video is 4 meters, right before impact.

Lastly, I asked them what "precautions and steps" would have prevented this failure. This was their response:

"Thank for contacting DJI Support

After going to my superiors to fight for you a better deal, I was able to get them to agree to an offer of 50% off a new purchase of a Phantom 2 + H3-3D + iOSD mini for $514.00. This is our final offer."

Nothing about the "precautions and steps", but they did give me a 50% off offer on a new one. I figured that was about as good an offer of support as I would get from them so I took them up on it. I mailed them my old transmitter (they paid for s/h), paid the price, and they sent me a new P2 w/zenmuse H3-3D.

So after buying a new transmitter, GoPro H3+ (used), and Flytrex, I'm back in the air. But my days of flying 3 km over the ocean are behind me. After losing two P2s in the drink, I just don't have the trust in the platform that I had before. I still love flying the thing but now I'm a much more cautious PhantomPilot.

The problem with me is that if I drop it in a lake and can not get it back, I am done. There will be no replacement. Same thing if it HARD crashes on land and there are 100 broken pieces, I am done. But at least on the land it may be less of a problem picking it up and maybe, if lucky, not broken too much.
Mine came crashing straight down from 300 feet and hit the pavement breaking it into 100 pieces. I packed up all the pieces I could find and shipped it off to DJI and told them what happened. It took 6 weeks but they are replacing it and it will be in tomorrow per Fed Ex tracking

I can't help but think from your original post and I can't believe nobody has mentioned it that your problems are down to flying over the ocean so much. With all the salt air, spray and moisture it is bound to have long term affects on your bird especially motors. The reason I say this is because I do most of my flying over the ocean and I've been waiting for this exact same thing to happen to me, in fact it did happen but luckily I wasn't over the ocean at the time. The reason I always fear this is because I install satellite dishes, and the lifespan of them can be 20 years or more unless you are living in coastal areas like my home town where I replace satellite dishes after 12 months or less so I see the accelerated power of the salt air all the time. Just my 2 cents worth and something I'll be expecting it to happen again as long as I live or keep flying over the ocean I'm afraid.

Last edited:
I can't help but think from your original post and I can't believe nobody has mentioned it that your problems are down to flying over the ocean so much. With all the salt air, spray and moisture it is bound to have long term affects on your bird especially motors...

That's an interesting theory. Living near the ocean I see the effects of the moist air on my bicycle in the garage. That's the primary reason I keep my Phantom inside the house. But with a total flight time of only 3.5 hours over the ocean do you think the salt air would even have a chance to damage the motors? I would think it would take a much longer exposure.

We're talking about very finely tuned tiny parts, and lots of them that can affected. I've no real proof to offer but I know how corrosive that salt air is. I had 2 unexplained falls from the sky which I thought were either battery faults or a motor seizing up and some other unusual goings on and I put it down to the salt air in the end. That was on my p2v which has since been sold and my p2v+ is still new enough but if it starts acting up like the last one I'll definitely be chalking it up to the salt air.

That's an interesting theory. Living near the ocean I see the effects of the moist air on my bicycle in the garage. That's the primary reason I keep my Phantom inside the house. But with a total flight time of only 3.5 hours over the ocean do you think the salt air would even have a chance to damage the motors? I would think it would take a much longer exposure.
Just wanted to give you an update on this incident. I contacted DJI, filled out their "RTHF Survey" form, and sent them the URL to the youtube video of my Phantom falling into the ocean.

Their first response was:

"First, we want to remind you that the remote connection our Phantoms use can be interfered with by outside sources as per FCC law. Flying near any large amounts of concrete, steel, powerlines, wifi technology, and other man-made sources can affect the behavior of the aircraft. Also, calibrating the compass over or near any of these objects or material can cause issues in flight. This is a general reminder and may not necessarily apply to your situation.
We would like to offer you 30% off a new purchase of a Phantom 2 + H3-3D + iOSD mini for $719.60"

Clearly this was a form letter response. I asked them to please review the video link I sent them. I also mentioned that this was one of the early V2.0 Phantom's with ESC v2's that had a history of sudden failures.

"After reviewing the survey and watching the link to the video provided, it seems that there were some precautions and steps you could have taken to prevent this. I have put some follow up questions below to help figure out what happened:

1. Were you flying in Atti or GPS mode?
  2. Where, and how did you mount the iOSD?
  3. What 3rd party hardware was attached to the unit at the time, and where, and how were they installed?
The reason i ask, is it appears that there was noise on your monitor, seconds prior to the incident, indicating some type of electromagnetic pulse, or interference.

Nothing that has to do with the motors, or ESC's would make the video glitch like that."

I answered their 3 questions and noted that the video glitches were typical of those I see when I'm 1 km out or my antenna is not pointed directly at the Phantom.

I also noted that in the movie you can see the video signal and battery level are all working perfectly even as the Phantom is falling from 50 meters down to 4 meters. This indicated that the wiring had not shorted out. The last iOSD height on the video is 4 meters, right before impact.

Lastly, I asked them what "precautions and steps" would have prevented this failure. This was their response:

"Thank for contacting DJI Support

After going to my superiors to fight for you a better deal, I was able to get them to agree to an offer of 50% off a new purchase of a Phantom 2 + H3-3D + iOSD mini for $514.00. This is our final offer."

Nothing about the "precautions and steps", but they did give me a 50% off offer on a new one. I figured that was about as good an offer of support as I would get from them so I took them up on it. I mailed them my old transmitter (they paid for s/h), paid the price, and they sent me a new P2 w/zenmuse H3-3D.

So after buying a new transmitter, GoPro H3+ (used), and Flytrex, I'm back in the air. But my days of flying 3 km over the ocean are behind me. After losing two P2s in the drink, I just don't have the trust in the platform that I had before. I still love flying the thing but now I'm a much more cautious PhantomPilot.
Hey jflyer3. .
I guess I have a different perspective on your crashes..
I've seen a read about your flights and I believe you really enjoy flying over the ocean..
I understand why you have a bad taste in your mouth and don't want to loose another phantom, but if it's what you enjoy and I know it is,then get back on your horse and ride inspit of the fact it could happen again. .
don't let fear run your life..
I ride and race motorcycles and I just crashed at laguna and did 2000.00 damage. .
should I give up??
Maybe, but I'm going to the track this weekend inspit of what happened two weeks ago..
and if I crash again and don't get seriously injured or killed I'll rebuild and ride again. .
that's just me..its easier to just give up and pack it in..
but there's nothing like the feeling I get when I'm riding and it's flowing. .
it's a beautiful thing. .it's like you flying over the ocean! ! A beautiful thing..
Happy flying
turbo

WoW, 50 posts after the thread was initiated and not one mention of the battery voltage going UP throughout the demise (starting with the loss of altitude) of another P2 with a "so called" smart battery.

Anyone have any thoughts "ON TOPIC" as to why the voltage kept going up?
Please don't tell me it's because the motors stopped drawing juice.

Maybe I missed or misinterpreted something, but I don't think so.

My guess is that the voltage went up because the motors were not drawing as much current when it was falling.

FWIW, I should mention that I was using a nearly-new Limefuel L60P 6000 mAh in the Phantom when it dropped into the abyss, so DJI's 'smart battery' is absolved of any guilt in this case. Could the Limefuel battery have something to do with this disaster?

Turbo, thanks for the inspiration. I certainly love flying over the ocean and will do it again, I'm just not so keen on doing it with my brand new Phantom. Perhaps when the P3 comes out I'll take a few more risks with my P2. ;)

Reactions: turbodronepilot

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl