*UPDATE* P3P flips after only seconds in the air and lands hard in the water

I actually never went through with my order from Pixel Hub, kind of wish I did. I had too many friends telling me how crazy I was to order a "spare" P3P. Well, here I am with nothing to fly and chomping at the bit to get out and fly in this great weather. I've been negotiating on a new Inspire 1 Pro however, not sure it really makes sense to spent nearly $3500 when the P3P is such a bargain for what it delivers. I'll decide within a day or so and then hope DJI at least offers something sensible for my aforementioned incident which hopefully won't be considered by them as any sort of pilot error.

If you can wait it out, dji will hopefully offer you a discount on a new bird if you are way out of warranty. I think I remember hearing 40% off offers, but not sure. Three weeks is a long time to wait for a resolution. As much as the inspire is a nice bird, you could buy three nice phantom birds for that money. The only thing the Inspire offers now is more stability in windy conditions and two operator ability. The p3/4 with a third party app for waypoint mission filming or even the autonomous modes of the P4 gives a single operator the filming-like capabilities of the Inspire. For single operator, phantom all the way. The Inspire is a nitche bird and expensive at that. It's also much easier to fly general areas where you're not completely alone, which is most areas, with a smaller and less daunting bird to the general public, imo.

I wasn't yet out of warranty, only had it about 5 months so it'll be interesting to see what's offered, if anything at all. I can pick up a new Inspire 1 Pro for $3150 complete. Now it's a matter of making an impulsive decision or a sensible one.

I wasn't yet out of warranty, only had it about 5 months so it'll be interesting to see what's offered, if anything at all. I can pick up a new Inspire 1 Pro for $3150 complete. Now it's a matter of making an impulsive decision or a sensible one.
As a fellow gear lust sufferer, I can only advise to buy because of a need, not a want. When I do that, I keep my bank account in check, so to speak. Within warranty, hopefully dji does the right thing for you. No one can fly the phantom in such a way as to flip it upside down, even by mistake. Shutting down motors yes, but not flipping upside down. Good luck.

Reactions: N017RW
Thanks my friend, I hope they offer something reasonable. In regards to having to wait 3 weeks, that's unreasonable as its only a 6 second flight to analyze, not much to see.

Just remember, there is no guarantee that an Inspire won't suffer the same fate as your P3P. Just saying.

Regards, Jim

That's too funny but how well will it survive hitting the water from 400ft up?

That thing was moving.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thats also what I was wondering, but mostly about warranty work. Mine from Pixel Hub has been absolutely flawless so far, but I was still curious about this incident in case it was the one @CCDD bought there a few weeks ago. I was interested in whether DJI would even look at it or not if it was the Pixel Hub P3.

@CCDD - i guess the good thing is the one you bought for a spare can get you back in the air right away. Again though, still sucks bad about the splash down.

My P3S I bought from Pixelhub is on it's way back to me as we speak from Dji's shop in California. They made no mention of any warranty issue since it was through Pixelhub. I guess there probably are unauthorized dealers out there who Dji won't cover though.

If I remember correctly DJI said they honor the warranty no matter where you buy it.

As I wait for DJI to determine warranty coverage, I went ahead and purchased a new Inspire 1 Pro. Undoubtedly, I'll continue to fly and enjoy a P3P too therefore, I look forward to continuing my relationship with this great forum as well as meeting others on the Inspire site.

Good luck with that Inspire. You'll no doubt love it!

I had an Inspire flip on me. Took off and then abruptly turned upside down and crashed. We determined the cause was that a prop came off; I hadn't put it on all the way. Did you find a prop away from the rest of the aircraft? That's got to be it.

The Phantom I lost on takeoff did not lose a prop, more than likely was a motor failure.

After having flown nearly 2,000,000 feet without incident, my beloved P3P ended up flipping upside down after only a short distance from take off and slammed into the lake that I often fly over. Was able to grab it out of the water however, it had already become submerged. Dried it off the best I could with hairdryer and no connection between RC and copter appeared. The gimbal would move however, it started to smoke a bit and I just pulled the battery and will contact DJI. At this point, it's probably time to start thinking about its replacement. I'll keep all posted.
Is this the one you just bought? ****. Sad to hear it.

No Tony, this is the original one I purchased back in Novemebr. I canceled my order with PH and ended up buying an Inspire Pro.

Sorry for your loss. Too bad you didn't wait for it to dry out completely before attempting to power it on. The smoking isn't a good sign.

After having flown nearly 2,000,000 feet without incident, my beloved P3P ended up flipping upside down after only a short distance from take off and slammed into the lake that I often fly over. Was able to grab it out of the water however, it had already become submerged. Dried it off the best I could with hairdryer and no connection between RC and copter appeared. The gimbal would move however, it started to smoke a bit and I just pulled the battery and will contact DJI. At this point, it's probably time to start thinking about its replacement. I'll keep all posted.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl