Update on "Stress Cracks"

Reaction score
So I noticed "stress cracks" few weeks back. I was going to send it in for repair but since the cracks were very small and hard to see. The only way to see them is the correct lighting. I held off and flew more to see if they would get bigger. I have flown maybe 7 more hours, some flights in high winds. The cracks don't seem to be getting any bigger, but I did notice a couple more? Unless I just didn't see them the first time since like I said they are hard to see. Now I'm wondering if they really are cracks or just imperfections or maybe cracks in the gloss? I'm not really sure at this point.
7216eb7e7e2b0bbdf770686373208909.jpg

26aaf12e9609cdc7298fd20d7dac2eb1.jpg

Take the casing off and get NDT done, that'll confirm what the "cracks" are.

If you don't mind my 2cents, I think I'd just watch them for now and see what happens. Those hairline cracks may just be an imperfection in the mold.....don't know......just a guess on my part.

But the scariest part of sending it in to be serviced may result in them sending you a different bird that is not necessarily new. Have seen too many threads on this Forum about guys not getting their original bird back.

If you don't mind my 2cents, I think I'd just watch them for now and see what happens. Those hairline cracks may just be an imperfection in the mold.....don't know......just a guess on my part.

But the scariest part of sending it in to be serviced may result in them sending you a different bird that is not necessarily new. Have seen too many threads on this Forum about guys not getting their original bird back.
I'm hoping that's what they are. My fear of sending in is the same, I know I've flown this bird carefully, handled with care. I don't want to get someone's previous crashed or overheated drone. Who knows really.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Seems to be more about cracks in the gloss only.. maybe someone else with an older drone could check better under the hood and confirm in a more accurate way.

Reactions: Bozz
I believe they are just molding lines. Mine has those too. Same spots near 4 motors. Not getting bigger after flights.

I have several just like that and none seem to be getting any longer or bigger. Been there for over a year. IMHO, I wouldn't worry about it.

Dealing with this now. Sent in the P4 with 3 copies of a note, one taped right to the bird, explaining that it was registered with a N-number, even sent a copy of the paperwork. Told them not to replace with a refurbished, just replace the shell and send back,even offered to pay technician for labor time - then they sent a refurb. I called and asked them to send my bird back and they told me "just tell the FAA you crashed and cancel the registration". So I told them if they did not find it and send it back I was going to call the sheriff (that's the Agency in Cerritos) and report my stolen aircraft, $1300 = grand theft, and the sheriff would shut down the facility and find it for them. Now they are looking for it.
I'm not lying to the FAA, I already noted in my log book that it was returned to manufacturer for repair.

OMG wow in my opinion you're taking this way too seriously.

OMG wow in my opinion you're taking this way too seriously.
Really? If DJI uses my serial numbered parts in a refurb and sends it to someone who crashes into some expensive property or another person, when they read the serial number guess who they fine? Oh yea me!
It was a hassle to get the N-number so I could fly commercially overseas, now I can't and it would take weeks to get a new number. I didn't crash it. I sent it because after only 25 1/2 hrs it had cracks because of a manufacturing defect.
Why would I tell the FAA I'm abandoning my N-number because of a crash? DJI messed up and now they can fix the situation, shouldn't fall on me.
If the drone was just for hobby I would probably just take the refurb and be happy.

Not to mention I have nothing to fly right now so business is down.

I would get some Plast-aid and coat from the inside over the outside cracks. That's what I did and I don't have to worry about the cracks getting bigger.

This is an interesting an unique situation. I did read my warranty information that specifically states that DJI can and may replace a damaged drone with a new or refurbished device. For the majority of us, this is not an issue as the replaced device has the same warranty coverage. Even with DJI care and refresh, the repaired drone has the serial and gimbel number transferred to the warranty coverage.

From what I can see, an N number registration is assigned to a serial number. With the new drone, the serial number does change. For what it's worth, I can see an analogy of a plane being damaged and the insurance company buys you a new plane. You have to register the new plane.

I do not believe it is cost effective for DJI to repair a drone. Actually, i would be more worried that someone removes and replaces every component in the drone back into a new case by hand. If you have ever opened a drone, you would see a rather circuitous maze of glued wires routed through small opening and tight tolerances. This is all done by machine and to reproduce it by hand is technically demanding.

So, I appreciate your unique situation. I do not think you're response to DJI is valid. The item has not been stolen and I doubt any law person would respond. Plus, DJI is a private corporation. There is no board or responsible corporate entity. I would contact the FAA and see what the options are. And it's not lying to the FAA to say a drone was repaired and the serial number changed. See if they can do a transfer of the number. From what I read, that's about $10.00

If it were me, and as frustrated as you, I would insist on speaking to a DJI service rep. Then, I would file a complaint to the BBB. You might get a faster response by filing an online complaint with the State Attorney general, dept. of consumer fraud. A call from them always gets a response.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj