Update on P-OPTI crash

It will - as long as you have enabled multi-flight modes in the app.

It hasn't been enabled at all since I got the P3...that's assuming that I can check that without being connected to the drone, but it's not showing as being enabled right now.

It hasn't been enabled at all since I got the P3...that's assuming that I can check that without being connected to the drone, but it's not showing as being enabled right now.
It's disabled by default and because it's in the Phantom, you can't tell in the app unless you are connected.

I'm still liking the theory that you had something below that confused the VPS.
I remember way back a guy crashed on his roof when VPS unsuccessfully tried to read his sloping roof.
That's the only thing I can think of that would activate the VPS.
It usually stays off if there's nothing less than 3 metres below it.
Lots of owners leave it disabled just to make sure they don't have that happen.

It's disabled by default and because it's in the Phantom, you can't tell in the app unless you are connected.

I'm still liking the theory that you had something below that confused the VPS.
I remember way back a guy crashed on his roof when VPS unsuccessfully tried to read his sloping roof.
That's the only thing I can think of that would activate the VPS.
It usually stays off if there's nothing less than 3 metres below it.
Lots of owners leave it disabled just to make sure they don't have that happen.

Yes, unfortunately it's on by default - and I didn't realize. There was only grass beneath the drone when it took off...it's a golf course, rural, and there was no one around at the time so I thought it safe to fly there for a bit.

If you need a bit more confidence before you lift off, you can just leave it there with the props off, switched on and connected and watch the GPS indicator for a while to confirm it's stable.

I'm curious about something...if the P3 switches into p-OPTI mode, that means its lost satellite reception, right? I thought if that happens it's supposed to RTH?

If you need a bit more confidence before you lift off, you can just leave it there with the props off, switched on and connected and watch the GPS indicator for a while to confirm it's stable.

I'd be quite confident with it just hovering about my height, I'm not scared of that altitude, it's when it goes high (10m and upwards) that I get nervous.

I'd be quite confident with it just hovering about my height, I'm not scared of that altitude
The ground is your biggest obstacle. It scares me more than the trees do.

It still has satellite reception mate, just not using GPS to fly under your command (as explained by them when in "locked on GPS"). That's why RTH is always functional no matter what mode you're flying on.

The ground is your biggest obstacle. It scares me more than the trees do.

Well, given mine got stuck in a tree, and then plummeted from quite a height to the ground, it's more frightening to hit the ground from high up than down low, no? ;)

Well, given mine got stuck in a tree, and then plummeted from quite a height to the ground, it's more frightening to hit the ground from high up than down low, no? ;)
If you were higher than the trees, you would have easily missed them. When further away from obstacles, you'll have more time to react and correct the situation.

If you were higher than the trees, you would have easily missed them. When further away from obstacles, you'll have more time to react and correct the situation.

Yes, I see your point...i also didn't know which was the drone was actually facing at the time, which scared me, I didn't want to hit the wrong stick and make it worse...I've since learned that the front of it can be seen on your map with the narrower part of the red arrow...but then also you're apparently meant to make sure you calibrate your iPhone compass so they match...would that be right?

Stay a long way clear of trees.
This is my idea of somewhere safe to fly. Nothing to hit and no interference.
79-103a-X2.jpg

Reactions: Nightwalker
I've since learned that the front of it can be seen on your map with the narrower part of the red arrow...but then also you're apparently meant to make sure you calibrate your iPhone compass so they match...would that be right?
It's easiest to use the radar at the bottom, left of the DJI GO app to follow the orientation. Your iPhone's compass should not lose calibration often. But, if it does not match the direction the radar is indicating, then you should recalibrate it.

I think part of why I've been scared of going up high is lack of confidence, paranoid that it might drop out of the sky or something...it's such a long way up for such a tiny little contraption ;)

VPS (Video Positioning System): uses a small camera underneath to help positioning of the AC relative to ground. Can (must) be switched ON or OFF. If ON, it kicks in at 3m to aid in flying in some situations.

GPS: provided there is enough satellites around, the P3 is always receiving signal. You can use (GPS) or not (ATTI) to fly. RTH is autonomous i.e. it'll work in any mode provided there is enough satellite count AND your HOMEPOINT has been set prior to takeoff. If you're in GPS mode, it'll lock on position (horizontal and vertical) whenever you leave the sticks, regardless of wind or any other interference. It will BRAKE, stable and in total control the instant you flick the switch.

If your P3 is VPS OFF and GPS OFF it'll move around horizontally AND vertically. If you enable VPS the system will kick in at 3m to keep it vertically stable up to some point, but as said above by moderators it can interfere with flying in some ways depending on what's bellow it. My P3's VPS is OFF all the time, I takeoff/land visually regardless of the mode I'm in. And I never use CSC to land, ever.

Reactions: Solar Deity
Stay a long way clear of trees.
This is my idea of somewhere safe to fly. Nothing to hit and no interference.

That is a stunning image, Meta4, just beautiful...but I thought you're not supposed to fly over water? Whereabouts was this taken?

VPS (Video Positioning System): uses a small camera underneath to help positioning of the AC relative to ground. Can (must) be switched ON or OFF. If ON, it kicks in at 3m to aid in flying in some situations.

GPS: provided there is enough satellites around, the P3 is always receiving signal. You can use (GPS) or not (ATTI) to fly. RTH is autonomous i.e. it'll work in any mode provided there is enough satellite count AND your HOMEPOINT has been set prior to takeoff. If you're in GPS mode, it'll lock on position (horizontal and vertical) whenever you leave the sticks, regardless of wind or any other interference. It will BRAKE, stable and in total control the instant you flick the switch.

If your P3 is VPS OFF and GPS OFF it'll move around horizontally AND vertically. If you enable VPS the system will kick in at 3m to keep it vertically stable up to some point, but as said above by moderators it can interfere with flying in some ways depending on what's bellow it. My P3's VPS is OFF all the time, I takeoff/land visually regardless of the mode I'm in. And I never use CSC to land, ever.

Thank you Alex...as I said, in my Go app, VPS was on by default, I had to manually switch it off after the crash. I did have 15+ satellites at the time of the crash, and home point had been set. I'm still baffled as to why it suddenly switched to P-OPTI though.

P-OPTI.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik