Update on P-OPTI crash

How long have you been flying?
I've been flying since September 2014. That's when I purchased my first quadcopter (the P2V+).

I've been flying since September 2014. That's when I purchased my first quadcopter (the P2V+).

And not a single flight mode change for you...that sucks. Like, for me, it sucks, LOL, to have this happen so early into learning how to fly.

Just a comment, I bought a $50usd toy quadcopter first and practiced for a month, no gps no altitude hold, it might be worth the small investment to get something like that and have fun learning without the fear of such a significant loss when you do crash.....I bought one of these and its still a blast to fly around: JJRC H5P Long battery life too here is a review of it on youtube :

Reactions: ChristoHD
So, it's not unusual then for a drone to kick into p-Opti mode when you've got good satellite coverage? I find that scary as a beginner :(
Marzipana ... a bit of guessing on my part .. but if you had leafy branches within 3 metres below your Phantom and no GPS, that could explain VPS trying to latch onto the leaves but failing to lock onto a solid pattern it could recognise.
Do you remember if there were branches or shrubbery under the Phantom at the time?

I myself wouldn't feel too bad about giving it a try in a nice open area like that school oval.
Make sure VPS is off and confirm that GPS is good ... lift off and watch it hover at 5 metres for a bit .. then gradually fly a bit this way and that.
If there are any signs of misbehaviour, switch it over to atti to resolve any conflict (but I doubt it would be necessary.
I think that after a few minutes you'll be fine.
Unfortunately I'm not down that way or I'd offer to come and be test pilot.
I do know an experienced P3 pilot at Garfield if that's anywhere near you and you wanted assistance?

Marzipana ... a bit of guessing on my part .. but if you had leafy branches within 3 metres below your Phantom and no GPS, that could explain VPS trying to latch onto the leaves but failing to lock onto a solid pattern it could recognise.
Do you remember if there were branches or shrubbery under the Phantom at the time?

I myself wouldn't feel too bad about giving it a try in a nice open area like that school oval.
Make sure VPS is off and confirm that GPS is good ... lift off and watch it hover at 5 metres for a bit .. then gradually fly a bit this way and that.
If there are any signs of misbehaviour, switch it over to atti to resolve any conflict (but I doubt it would be necessary.
I think that after a few minutes you'll be fine.
Unfortunately I'm not down that way or I'd offer to come and be test pilot.
I do know an experienced P3 pilot at Garfield if that's anywhere near you and you wanted assistance?

Thank you Meta4, you are so kind! I would be about an hour away from Garfield, I will keep that offer in mind, thank you.

If you don't mind taking a look, here's a video - 42 seconds - which I recorded right before it started drifting away, and it should give you a good idea of what surface was beneath the P3 when it kicked into p-OPTI mode.

When you're in ATTI mode, are you constantly having to control the drone, like, it won't hover in place on its own?

When you're in ATTI mode, are you constantly having to control the drone, like, it won't hover in place on its own?
Correct. It does not use GPS to correct/hold its location. If there is no wind, it'll hover in place. There is usually wind (especially high in the air), so it'll drift at the speed and in the direction of the wind.

Atti is just like GPS mode ... altitude is stable BUT you don't have position holding.
So it's a bit like driving on ice - it keeps drifting when you take your hands off the sticks.
If you're out in the open it's pretty easy - no drama.

Correct. It does not use GPS to correct/hold its location. If there is no wind, it'll hover in place. There is usually wind (especially high in the air), so it'll drift at the speed and in the direction of the wind.

Okay, so you'd want to practice this at a low altitude as a beginner then...I haven't flown high at all, for me 12m in the air was already scary.

Atti is just like GPS mode ... altitude is stable BUT you don't have position holding.
So it's a bit like driving on ice - it keeps drifting when you take your hands off the sticks.
If you're out in the open it's pretty easy - no drama.

Heart palpitations just reading that, LOL.

Has it every happened to you personally, that your drone suddenly switches flight modes?
It happened to me once. After post-flight analysis, I concluded I did not have optimal line of sight to GPS satellites. Essentially, I was flying in an area where the sky was blocked a bit. Fortunately, I just reacted to the movement and flew in ATTI mode to bring it to a safe landing.

Okay, so you'd want to practice this at a low altitude as a beginner then
Nope. It would be best to practice above all obstacles -- in case you drift toward one of them. Before doing that though, be sure you understand how to orient and control your Phantom. Otherwise, you might not be able to get it back once it starts drifting away.

Okay, so you'd want to practice this at a low altitude as a beginner then...I haven't flown high at all, for me 12m in the air was already scary.
Out in the open and up 5-10 metres.
The ground is an obstacle as well as trees and buildings so being well clear is safer.
Trees are the number one enemy of beginning flyers - they jump out and grab drones.

It happened to me once. After post-flight analysis, I concluded I did not have optimal line of sight to GPS satellites. Essentially, I was flying in an area where the sky was blocked a bit. Fortunately, I just reacted to the movement and flew in ATTI mode to bring it to a safe landing.

Would you say that anything looks like it could be blocking the satellites from my video above?

Nope. It would be best to practice above all obstacles -- in case you drift toward one of them. Before doing that though, be sure you understand how to orient and control your Phantom. Otherwise, you might not be able to get it back once it starts drifting away.

To be honest, I'd probably practice on an empty oval, I wouldn't feel comfortable having it really high in the sky...I tried the RTH function a day after getting it, it was set to 30m, and even looking up at it then made me feel giddy...I don't understand how people have the confidence to fly these things 200m up in the air.

If you don't mind taking a look, here's a video - 42 seconds - which I recorded right before it started drifting away, and it should give you a good idea of what surface was beneath the P3 when it kicked into p-OPTI mode.
Would you say that anything looks like it could be blocking the satellites from my video above?
As much as the video shows, you had a clear view of the sky so GPS should have had no problem.
The Phantom appears to be very steady despite quite a breeze so GPS must have been working?

Out in the open and up 5-10 metres.
The ground is an obstacle as well as trees and buildings so being well clear is safer.
Trees are the number one enemy of beginning flyers - they jump out and grab drones.

Yeah, sadly I know that already :(

To be honest, I'd probably practice on an empty oval, I wouldn't feel comfortable having it really high in the sky...I tried the RTH function a day after getting it, it was set to 30m, and even looking up at it then made me feel giddy...I don't understand how people have the confidence to fly these things 200m up in the air.

The empty oval is the perfect place to get used to the Phantom.
Just put it up 5-10 metres and take things slowly.

As much as the video shows, you had a clear view of the sky so GPS should have had no problem.
The Phantom appears to be very steady despite quite a breeze so GPS must have been working?

It was steady, it was great until it flipped modes. :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues