Update: (It Fell Today!!!)ALMOST Sudden Death Drop w/ Video

Re: Update: (It Fell Today!!!)ALMOST Sudden Death Drop w/ Vi

shartlza said:
Just to note the second mishap was on a different battery, so it is not the battery. Since there was no damage to anything after the crash (how i don't know), just a missing prop, I took of the gimbal after making sure it was okay. Then i took off the props and spun it up and simulated the same control movement i was doing in the air to see if it did anything and it didn't. Then with the motors going i picked it up and shook the the f**ker all over the place to see if anything would happen and once again nothing. I guess i will take it out and fly it low (with no gimbal) and simulate the same movement to see if it does it, but I have a feeling it really need to be in the air where there is more wind and resistance. I will also open it up one more time and go through it would a fine toothed comb. I have also contact B&H, were i bought it in Feb, and they are sending my issues to DJI to see if i can get a warranty exchange. Even though the guy and B&H was trying to prove that it was not a manufacturing warranty issue. He was coming up with everything in the book like it was a IMU thing, or only one motor was going out, compass issues, and the battery contacts were loose. I checked everything after the first mishap and everything looked and felt ok.

My thoughts:
1. Not the battery since this happend on 2 seperate batteries.
2. Don't think it is a motor or motors because what are the chances all 4 would fail at once.
3. I don't think it is a main power thing because the craft does not loose. As you can see in both videos you can see the red LEDs still on. Also if it completely lost power and came back on I would think the ESCs would play the ESC start up sound.
4. There is something wrong between the main circuit board to the ESCs that is shutting off the ESCs or telling the ESCs to shut off the motors.

wow, thats odd. It's good that you have the videos. If you do keep testing, definitely do it with the gimbal to catch any more falls.

I know its putting the gimbal at risk, but you need that evidence.
Or remove the gimbal and replace it with a cheap anti vibration mount. That was when/if it dies, your real gimbal is safe.
But keep recording your tests! It's the best answer to "what if".

dragonash said:
shartlza said:
Just to note the second mishap was on a different battery, so it is not the battery. Since there was no damage to anything after the crash (how i don't know), just a missing prop, I took of the gimbal after making sure it was okay. Then i took off the props and spun it up and simulated the same control movement i was doing in the air to see if it did anything and it didn't. Then with the motors going i picked it up and shook the the f**ker all over the place to see if anything would happen and once again nothing. I guess i will take it out and fly it low (with no gimbal) and simulate the same movement to see if it does it, but I have a feeling it really need to be in the air where there is more wind and resistance. I will also open it up one more time and go through it would a fine toothed comb. I have also contact B&H, were i bought it in Feb, and they are sending my issues to DJI to see if i can get a warranty exchange. Even though the guy and B&H was trying to prove that it was not a manufacturing warranty issue. He was coming up with everything in the book like it was a IMU thing, or only one motor was going out, compass issues, and the battery contacts were loose. I checked everything after the first mishap and everything looked and felt ok.

My thoughts:
1. Not the battery since this happend on 2 seperate batteries.
2. Don't think it is a motor or motors because what are the chances all 4 would fail at once.
3. I don't think it is a main power thing because the craft does not loose. As you can see in both videos you can see the red LEDs still on. Also if it completely lost power and came back on I would think the ESCs would play the ESC start up sound.
4. There is something wrong between the main circuit board to the ESCs that is shutting off the ESCs or telling the ESCs to shut off the motors.

wow, thats odd. It's good that you have the videos. If you do keep testing, definitely do it with the gimbal to catch any more falls.

I know its putting the gimbal at risk, but you need that evidence.
Or remove the gimbal and replace it with a cheap anti vibration mount. That was when/if it dies, your real gimbal is safe.
But keep recording your tests! It's the best answer to "what if".
Definitely not going to risk the h3-3d gimbal. What I will probably do is attach the sticky gopro mount and attach the gopro to that in the waterproof housing. Still nervious to test though.

Ahhhhhh!!!!! It happened again!!!! This time I just stuck the gopro on with the sticky mount inside the waterproof case to protect it. Well I am glad I did!!!!! I flew the remaining of my battery from the crash yesterday (7 minutes) and it did nothing. Then I popped in my 2nd battery and for the first 7 minutes flying close to ground it flew fine (was pulling it all over the place), so I took it up just above the trees and did some wide turns and fast yaws and flew a bit crazy to try to induce the power out. Then as I finished a yaw and it leveled out the motors lost power for a few second and they turned back on and it tried to recover, but it was too late and already in the tree. Thank god once again the tree broke the fall and the only thing damaged was one prop (luckily used old beat up props). So here is the video. Something is wrong!!!
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGInV91QoGE[/youtube]

I imagine all your electronic are stock, radio, etc.

There is a component when start heating, causes the problem.
I am convinced that is the controller board.
It could also be an ESC with problems, but to stop all engines is quite strange.
Have you thought about changing the firmware and try another?

Many years ago when I started flying helicopters found a trainner which could serve to stop dropping your phantom 2 while doing tests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YXNd7SSTN8

tarro said:
I imagine all your electronic are stock, radio, etc.

There is a component when start heating, causes the problem.
I am convinced that is the controller board.
It could also be an ESC with problems, but to stop all engines is quite strange.
Have you thought about changing the firmware and try another?

Many years ago when I started flying helicopters found a trainner which could serve to stop dropping your phantom 2 while doing tests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YXNd7SSTN8
Everything is stock with a h3-3d gimbal with the last flight only a gopro stuck on it. Batteries all pretty new and I have had absolutly no crashes before this (150+ flights). I am on firmware 3.06 (for 20+ flights) and it could be an option to downgrade to see if it happens, but in all honesty I don't want to fly it again fearing I could really damage the craft and since i am in a high declination area i want to stay on 3.06 because i want to fly strait. I think it has to be control board related. I know on the last fall the lights were still on when the motors shut off. On another note the helicopter trainner is genious!!!! But for me that is too much work for an issues i think is already well documented. I am still waiting to hear back from B&H if DJI will do a warranty replacement.

When I read your original post, I thought it would have been a loose rotor blade. They are self tightening, but I always check mine. I've seen some youtube vids of props flying off and usually the quad will overturn when this happens.

I think you might have had a loose prop and that motor issue you're having now is caused by the fall

Edit: Didn't read past page 1. This looks like a serious electronics issue. The comment from Tarro sounds pretty accurate about a component heating up and then failing. Your phantom looks like it cuts out and then tries to regain control. Have you taken the case off?

ATOMSK said:
When I read your original post, I thought it would have been a loose rotor blade. They are self tightening, but I always check mine. I've seen some youtube vids of props flying off and usually the quad will overturn when this happens.

I think you might have had a loose prop and that motor issue you're having now is caused by the fall

Edit: Didn't read past page 1. This looks like a serious electronics issue. The comment from Tarro sounds pretty accurate about a component heating up and then failing. Your phantom looks like it cuts out and then tries to regain control. Have you taken the case off?
Yeah, first mishap it recovered, so no crash. The second mishap the motors shut off which caused one prop to fly off because that prop had the more forward momentum to fly off (even though i always tighten each by hand really good after spinning on). Then the 3rd flight they cut out and when i got to the craft the first thing i did was feel the motors and around ESC and nothing felt hot. This has to be a main board issues or even a Naza issues telling the motors to cut out.

wow... it's VERY consistent.
Keep up talks with BH, also contact dji and show them all the videos.

Try all angles to get a swap.
Dont let them take it to get repaired. You will never see it again.

Need a DVR of an OSD output or even a log file off the CAN bus. That would tell us more about what is happening. Could be a partial reboot. Pretty clear this stemmed from your first crash but hard to what is doing it.

Clamp the Phantom down somehow, use the GoPro to video the Phantom and then try to recreate it.

dragonash said:
wow... it's VERY consistent.
Keep up talks with BH, also contact dji and show them all the videos.

Try all angles to get a swap.
Dont let them take it to get repaired. You will never see it again.
Yeah I am just working with B&H now. I have done an online chat with thier aerial imaging dept and then i sent them an email so they can go to DJI. I also emailed B&H's Director of Corp Communications as well since he helped me out with something before. I have not contacted DJI yet because i will let B&H do that to see where they get and if i am not happy i will go to DJI which means sitting on the phone for an hour just to talk to someone. I did the DJI thing with a faulty battery and it took about an hour to talk to someone including the disconects and waiting, but they did do an exchange of the battery with a 2 week turn around (only because i am about an hour from their LA office). I will not accept a repair though because I do not want to be with out a phantom for over 2 months or longer. I will really push for an outright swap/exchange!!!

ianwood said:
Need a DVR of an OSD output or even a log file off the CAN bus. That would tell us more about what is happening. Could be a partial reboot. Pretty clear this stemmed from your first crash but hard to what is doing it.

Clamp the Phantom down somehow, use the GoPro to video the Phantom and then try to recreate it.
Yea, the DVR and OSD would be ideal, so do you want to get that for me hahahaha :lol: . Honestly, my wife has put the lock down on buying anything for this thing for the time being.

Remember the first incident it did not crash, so that would have not caused the 2nd, but the 2nd could have caused the 3rd but that is way to coincidental since it did the same thing.

Before i do any more testing i am going to wait to see what B&H comes back with or DJI. I could do the clamp down thing if i have to prove it again, but who knows if the only thing to get it to do it is flying it so there is inertia on the craft.

Well after looking at all my options I sent my P2 into DJI for a warranty repair. :( I tried to go through B&H for a replacement, but unfortunatly they would only take it back as a warranty repair that they would send to DJI, so between shipping it to them, then them to DJI, and then back I felt it would be better just to go straight through DJI since the LA office is an hour up the freeway from me. When i talked to DJI i tried to push for a replacement, but they said as of now it has to be a repair and if they can't find what to repair they will replace it. He also said it was around a 4 week turnaround time, which is not bad, but i will believe it when i see it. So the countdown begins. :roll:

shartlza said:
Well after looking at all my options I sent my P2 into DJI for a warranty repair. :( I tried to go through B&H for a replacement, but unfortunatly they would only take it back as a warranty repair that they would send to DJI, so between shipping it to them, then them to DJI, and then back I felt it would be better just to go straight through DJI since the LA office is an hour up the freeway from me. When i talked to DJI i tried to push for a replacement, but they said as of now it has to be a repair and if they can't find what to repair they will replace it. He also said it was around a 4 week turnaround time, which is not bad, but i will believe it when i see it. So the countdown begins. :roll:

Probably your best bet considering the crazy symptoms you've been experiencing. Just hope they really test it - this seems like one of those things where they fly it for 2 mins and say "seems fine" and sends it back. Insist if they can't reproduce it that they replace it...

Buckaye said:
shartlza said:

Probably your best bet considering the crazy symptoms you've been experiencing. Just hope they really test it - this seems like one of those things where they fly it for 2 mins and say "seems fine" and sends it back. Insist if they can't reproduce it that they replace it...
Yea, I told them on the phone that they may need to fly a few batteries to get it to do it and i put it on the form I had to fill out and put in the box. I will make sure I get back a P2 in full working condition!!! :x

best of luck.
its good that you could talk to them face to face at least.

nothing more i hate than sending my stuff away to a place i've never seen!

Don't be so **** impatient. You had 1 failure, which could be anything. But then you have a 2nd failure and you're still taking it up high and crashing from high up? Come on, man, use your head. Are you just waiting to shatter it on concrete? I wouldn't be flying it more than 10 feet in the air over grass until I figure this out.

So slow down, figure it out.

witold said:
Don't be so **** impatient. You had 1 failure, which could be anything. But then you have a 2nd failure and you're still taking it up high and crashing from high up? Come on, man, use your head. Are you just waiting to shatter it on concrete? I wouldn't be flying it more than 10 feet in the air over grass until I figure this out.

Chill out, actually I did take it slow and I am patient, just didn't want to waste any time. After the first time I opened it up and inspected everything. After putting back together my first battery the next day was low and slow and about 9 minutes in I took it above a tree and it fell. After that I checked it all again. Next day I finished off the battery from the last crash, all low and nothing happened and then popped in another battery. Flew that for a good 10 minutes low, so I took it up thinking maybe that is the only way it will do something and it did. I did the last flight just to get my last evidence and it was not that high, just above the trees. Took it apart again and everything looked perfect, so I sent it to DJI. I was using my head by flying it over grass and trees knowing that the tree would break its fall. Maybe this is not the way you would do thing, but it is how I thought it out, so if you have an issue with my way, don't do it.

witold said:

Did you bother reading the thread? Or are you failing at a troll attempt?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers