UPDATE: Found & Rescued - URGENT - Help needed in Robbinsville, NC for child search & rescue

Reaction score
URGENT - SEEKING ALL DRONE OWNERS NEAR ROBBINSVILLE, NC: Need your help in Search & Rescue for missing child & grandmother in Big Snowbird!

Yesterday morning, Wednesday May 31, Maddie Anderson, a 13-yo girl and her grandmother, Chris Plonski, set out for a hike into the forest near Robbinsville, NC. As of today, neither Maddie nor her grandmother have returned. Their car is still at the Snowbird Creek trailhead. A search is underway, being coordinated by the Graham County Sheriff's office.

Their car was left at the Snowbird Creek Trailhead (GPS: Latitude: 35.273442 | Longitude: -83.912333) and they made a call to family from the summit of Mouse Knob. It is expected that they are somewhere between these two points. If anyone could assist, especially those with thermal imaging or search & rescue experience, it would be immensely appreciated. Rescue helicopters are expected to be in the area tomorrow (Friday) if she is not found today, so remain at a low altitude and be vigilant of other aircraft.

Anyone venturing to the Snowbird Creek Trailhead can liaise with local S&R teams on the ground. But remote operators can report any findings to Graham County Dispatch at (828) 479-7985.

At this point it is unknown what each woman was wearing. Attached is a photo of Maddie, and we are working on obtaining a photo of her grandmother.

More information, as we know it, will be posted here.

Any leads should be forwarded to Graham County Dispatch at (828) 479-7985.

Thank you for your help in finding Maddie!

Attachments

• Maddie Anderson.jpg
    Maddie Anderson.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 1,395
I hope this ends well and they find the two women safe and sound!
Prayers to everyone!

This maybe a stupid question but if the sheriff department is coordinating the rescue, are they will allow drone owners to cooperate? Law enforcements sometimes are very particular and picky in their operations.

Last edited:
It's not a stupid question at all. The last thing we want is UAS interfering with local search & rescue operations.

But In this case, the Graham County Emergency Services Dept. has specifically asked for assistance from local operators, if any. Apparently they don't have UAS of their own, and S&R helicopter availabity is unknown.

The GCES has also stated that a special allowance will be made to permit UAS operation in a federal forest area.

Reactions: macoman and sar104
It's not a stupid question at all. The last thing we want is UAS interfering with local search & rescue operations.

But In this case, the Graham County Emergency Services Dept. has specifically asked for assistance from local operators, if any. Apparently they don't have UAS of their own, and S&R helicopter availabity is unknown.

The GCES has also stated that a special allowance will be made to permit UAS operation in a federal forest area.
In that case I hope you guys find a lot of drone owners willing to cooperate. If I was closed to the area, I will quickly help you as much as I can with my drone.

Just spoke to dispatch. Now keeping in mind he didn't seem to exactly have a finger on the pulse of what was going on, he said they already had a drone operator, then paused/was interrupted by someone, then came back and asked if mine had infrared capabilities. I told him I did not, so he took my name/number and said they would pass it on to the director of the operation. I am laying in some flight routes in Litchi now and will still plan to be out there in the morning with a couple of Mavics and goggles, should allow a 2nd viewer to see more detail. I'll try to keep this updated.

Just spoke to dispatch. Now keeping in mind he didn't seem to exactly have a finger on the pulse of what was going on, he said they already had a drone operator, then paused/was interrupted by someone, then came back and asked if mine had infrared capabilities. I told him I did not, so he took my name/number and said they would pass it on to the director of the operation. I am laying in some flight routes in Litchi now and will still plan to be out there in the morning with a couple of Mavics and goggles, should allow a 2nd viewer to see more detail. I'll try to keep this updated.

Thank you killjoy. Please report on what it's like there on the ground. I'm based in Florida and am just transferring information as it comes in.

One question- someone told a pilot that thermal imaging does not work "because of the terrain and the mountains". Which seems odd to me. Is that the case?

They are flying helos this morning, then said I am welcome to help search from the air when they pull out. Hikers are coming in from Fort Meyers to help as well. This is day 3 of the search.

The area is heavy forest, lots of canopy coverage, so thermal will only be so effective I imagine, but I was told they have a group coming in with thermal drones today as well. I'm about to head up there but sounds like I'll be waiting for a bit until airspace clears.

UPDATE: June 2, 2017 9:52AM - FOUND AND RESCUED

Maddie and her grandmother have been found in the woods. They are ok. No other information as to what happened or how they were found has yet been made available, but I will post additional information as it becomes available. On behalf of the Anderson and Plonski families, I wanted to extend my deep, deep and sincere gratitude to everyone - known (Killjoydotcom!) and unknown- who assisted. Words cannot express how amazing it was to see strangers spring into action and support.

Thank God this one had a happy ending!

I would like to know if a Drone actually found them or a foot team. The outcome is the headline of course. Knowing that they were found. But knowing that the Drone actually helped in the rescue would be a blessing for the UAV community.

I will try to find out how they were found. Regardless of how, it has certainly made me appreciate the impact drones can have. I for one, will be investing in a FLIR system, since I live near the Everglades.

Here is a post from Maddie's mother:

"Maddie and Chris are safe and I have Maddie in my arms. I cannot thank everyone enough for their shares, prayers, thoughts, and actions. So many people and organizations came to our aid. I will be eternally grateful. I have too many people to thank but you know who you are and I am forever in your debt. Please share this post, so the thousands of people who have been our "wingmen" will know that they are safe and home.

To the Graham County NC Rescue and Police department - I love you, each and every one of you and thank you for your diligence and hard work.

After hiking to one of the falls they got lost and turned around somehow. They hiked till almost dark where they thank god found a shack, a shack that was stocked with some canned food and sleeping bags and a way to start a fire. Both nights were spent there. There are so many angels that were with them, guiding them to that cabin and angels that guided the rescuers to find them today."

There were no drones in the air yet at the time they were found that I know of. We were holding for a search helo that was about to go up. I think they walked out to the roadway.

UPDATE: June 2, 2017 9:52AM - FOUND AND RESCUED

Maddie and her grandmother have been found in the woods. They are ok. No other information as to what happened or how they were found has yet been made available, but I will post additional information as it becomes available. On behalf of the Anderson and Plonski families, I wanted to extend my deep, deep and sincere gratitude to everyone - known (Killjoydotcom!) and unknown- who assisted. Words cannot express how amazing it was to see strangers spring into action and support.

Thank God this one had a happy ending!
Great result :)

Reactions: DougAles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1