Update firmware?

Reaction score
Should I update to current firmware? Is this newest firmware good and not glitchy? Thanks. I was also wondering if my fpv sometimes having breakups is because I didn't update the firmware because it did it use to do that before the new update was released.

Should I update to current firmware? Is this newest firmware good and not glitchy? Thanks. I was also wondering if my fpv sometimes having breakups is because I didn't update the firmware because it did it use to do that before the new update was released.
Prob flown 8-9 flights on the update. No problems at all. And I'm not 100% sure but I think my slight gimble twitch that I was getting about one or two every flight is gone. But I don't think it needing updated would be causing your transmission issues. Are you using Auto transmisson mode? Have you tried both 2.4 and 5.8GHz freqs? If your in manual transmission channels, have you lowered your rate to 4mbps? You do have to reset some of your default settings back to where you had them. So I started writing down all my settings so I knew exactly what they were so I could quickly reset them after update. Like EXP settings, RTH settings ect.

Prob flown 8-9 flights on the update. No problems at all. And I'm not 100% sure but I think my slight gimble twitch that I was getting about one or two every flight is gone. But I don't think it needing updated would be causing your transmission issues. Are you using Auto transmisson mode? Have you tried both 2.4 and 5.8GHz freqs? If your in manual transmission channels, have you lowered your rate to 4mbps? You do have to reset some of your default settings back to where you had them. So I started writing down all my settings so I knew exactly what they were so I could quickly reset them after update. Like EXP settings, RTH settings ect.
@KevMo Photog, have you been able to determine whether the remaining flight time algorithm uses 10% remaining battery or 0% remaining battery as it's calibration for 0 flight minutes remaining? After updating to the prior firmware update, mine changed from 10% remaining battery showing 0 flight minutes left, to 10% remaining battery still showing 2 flight minutes left. That is very dangerous, if you are used to 0 minutes remaining as still 10% battery remaining, even though you are in an Autolanding state. What have you observed on the latest update? Is 10% remaining battery 0 minutes or some 2 minutes? Obviously, this 2 minute discrepancy affects all flights, as we either have to mentally subtract 2 minutes from all flight times displayed, if we are used to 10% being 0, or we don't, if it hasn't been changed.:cool:

Ok, I will just set all camera settings back to before. And I need to lower my rate to 4mpbs

Ok, I will just set all camera settings back to before. And I need to lower my rate to 4mpbs
These are not really camera settings Evan. These are settings to change how you receive the picture or video on your device. But that should help on the 4mbps setting.

@KevMo Photog, have you been able to determine whether the remaining flight time algorithm uses 10% remaining battery or 0% remaining battery as it's calibration for 0 flight minutes remaining? After updating to the prior firmware update, mine changed from 10% remaining battery showing 0 flight minutes left, to 10% remaining battery still showing 2 flight minutes left. That is very dangerous, if you are used to 0 minutes remaining as still 10% battery remaining, even though you are in an Autolanding state. What have you observed on the latest update? Is 10% remaining battery 0 minutes or some 2 minutes? Obviously, this 2 minute discrepancy affects all flights, as we either have to mentally subtract 2 minutes from all flight times displayed, if we are used to 10% being 0, or we don't, if it hasn't been changed.:cool:
I have not yet. But msinger did say the other day that if it was at say 400ft and went into auto land that it would make it down slow and soft all the way. One guy commented that he actually did this and it worked. But I agree with you it could be very dangerous not knowing exactly when this dude will auto land ect. I just always get back to within 3-400ft of me when it gets down below 25%. Just like to play it cautious on the battery.

I have not yet. But msinger did say the other day that if it was at say 400ft and went into auto land that it would make it down slow and soft all the way. One guy commented that he actually did this and it worked. But I agree with you it could be very dangerous not knowing exactly when this dude will auto land ect. I just always get back to within 3-400ft of me when it gets down below 25%. Just like to play it cautious on the battery.
In order to be at 400 feet for a "slow and soft autoland," I would first have to ascend to 400 feet, wasting valuable remaining battery to ascend and descend from that height. My top elevation above my home point during a flight is usually less than 100 feet, if even that high! The autolanding is always at 10% remaining battery, unless you have it set at a higher percentage. You cannot set it lower than 10%. The issue is remaing flight time displayed at 10%. It used to be 0 minutes, meaning if you were over your home point by 0 minutes, you still had a "hidden" 2 minutes to safely land in Autoland. No longer. Blade strike just confirmed that remaining flight time has been changed so that 0 minutes is now 0% and shutoff, and it will have already initiated autolanding at 2 minutes and 10%. No more hidden safety buffer of 2 minutes of flight time when it displays 0 minutes, for Autolanding. Engines will now shut off at 0 minutes! Major undocumented change! :eek:

Reactions: KevMo Photog
I know this is a old post, but how do I set to 4 Mbps?

As KevMo stated, you have to use a manual channel to be able to lower the transmission setting to 4 Mbs. The setting does not appear when you select Auto for either 2.4 or 5.8 Ghz.
Thx GadgetGuy! I have been out of commission here. Been at the NAB Show in Vegas this week! Got to meet John Locke in person btw. He said he knows you pretty well I think.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Thx GadgetGuy! I have been out of commission here. Been at the NAB Show in Vegas this week! Got to meet John Locke in person btw. He said he knows you pretty well I think.
Indeed. He copied us both on an email he sent out, of a private video he shot in the desert on the way home. ;) How was your dinner with him? Any NAB selfies of you with Tahoe Ed and Blade Strike? :cool:

Indeed. He copied us both on an email he sent out, of a private video he shot in the desert on the way home. ;) How was your dinner with him? Any NAB selfies of you with Tahoe Ed and Blade Strike? :cool:
Had a great dinner at an Italian place just off strip. But no, I did not get to meet Tahoe Ed or Blade Strike. Sure wish I could have though. Nab show was awesome again! We flew some awesome stuff right up against Zion Park. All legal for sure![/QUOTE]

Had a great dinner at an Italian place just off strip. But no, I did not get to meet Tahoe Ed or Blade Strike. Sure wish I could have though. Nab show was awesome again! We flew some awesome stuff right up against Zion Park. All legal for sure!
Cool! Maybe John will share his selfie taken with them, so you can photoshop yourself in. NAB is quite an event. Zion is a rare jewel! Sounds like you got a two for one!

Cool! Maybe John will share his selfie taken with them, so you can photoshop yourself in. NAB is quite an event. Zion is a rare jewel! Sounds like you got a two for one!
Yeah he showed me his selfie with those two guys. Great show and great flying is def a win win!

Yeah he showed me his selfie with those two guys. Great show and great flying is def a win win!
So, anything from NAB that you found particularly relevant to your current flying? Anything you found that you can't live without, or that will be a game changer for you?

So, anything from NAB that you found particularly relevant to your current flying? Anything you found that you can't live without, or that will be a game changer for you?
Def will have the Crystal Sky monitor as soon as possible. And maybe get into the goggles as well. I'm wanting to try goggles so that it makes me concentrate on smooth pleasant flight from the start to finish. Instead of just lining up for a certain shot. Ken Heron does this on his Youtube Channel. It's one piece a lot of times without too many cuts. Just to be different. I think goggles might allow to see you height above objects a little better too.

Def will have the Crystal Sky monitor as soon as possible. And maybe get into the goggles as well. I'm wanting to try goggles so that it makes me concentrate on smooth pleasant flight from the start to finish. Instead of just lining up for a certain shot. Ken Heron does this on his Youtube Channel. It's one piece a lot of times without too many cuts. Just to be different. I think goggles might allow to see you height above objects a little better too.
After the disastrous P4P+ debut, which shares all the CystalSky weaknesses (buggy customized Android programming, which DJI still hasn't satisfactorily fixed after over 5 months!) with some major advantages (moving everything except the screen inside the controller and its built-in HDMI module), CrystalSky has no appeal to me, especially at those prices. Lighting midday is terrible anyway, and at sunset, iPadPro is plenty bright already. A black cloth over your head or a sun shade works during the day, too. The 5.5" is simply too small, because the telemetry covers up the edges of the video frame, making flying dangerous, unless you go full screen and remove all telemetry, which is even more dangerous, and the 7.85" still has the same issues, and is not nearly as large as a 9.7" iPadPro at almost half the price, which uses iOS GO 4 and still supports all 3rd party SDK's. The Goggles, on the other hand, if they aren't buggy, should be a welcome addition to any Mavic Pro owner, and still useful to Phantom owners with an HDMI out. Those I will be buying from B&H to try out for 30 days! :cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl