Update FC40 swim

Reaction score
I thoroughly dried quad, or I believe I did, and plugged in battery and quad went beep beep beep rather quickly and a puff of smoke came from one of circuit boards in one of arms, unplugged immediately and saw that little black squares some appeared melted and in other arms appeared corroded and some appeared fine. I am not mechanically inclined so if these boards are replaceable it is beyond my ability. Is this quad toast anyway?

isle said:
I thoroughly dried quad, or I believe I did, and plugged in battery and quad went beep beep beep rather quickly and a puff of smoke came from one of circuit boards in one of arms, unplugged immediately and saw that little black squares some appeared melted and in other arms appeared corroded and some appeared fine. I am not mechanically inclined so if these boards are replaceable it is beyond my ability. Is this quad toast anyway?

Did you follow my suggestions with paper towels, then rice in a closed bag? Did you open it up first so the rice could get inside?

No, it isn't toast. It sounds like you have some ESC's that are damaged, most likely from not totally drying everything prior to turning it on. There are vents in those areas, so water got in. You could have other damage. But hopefully, it is just the ESCs.

You don't need to be mechanically inclined, but electrically inclined is kinda important! :). You obviously have small scale components that are burnt. I suggest that you send it in for repair or let one of the guys here fix it.

If you would rather sell it, you could sell it here, but I suggest you have it repaired. But, if you didn't take my last suggestion, you might not take this one! :)

Edit: I see that someone pretty much said that I was an idiot for suggesting rice. What a shame. There is no point in my giving more advice. I tried to help you.

Did not use ricetoo many other sources said not a good idea, next time yes, but used fan for two days and hair dryer seemed dry to me but obviously I was wrong live and learn I am not electrically inclined either. Do not live near any kind of hobby shop and would pay to fix but not sure where to look, also looked into buying new one but I have searched Internet high and low and can not find one except on Amazon and store that sells through Amazon does not get good reviews and I do not want to buy used.i am thinking upgrading to a vision and would sell this but for how much?

isle said:
Did not use ricetoo many other sources said not a good idea, next time yes, but used fan for two days and hair dryer seemed dry to me but obviously I was wrong live and learn I am not electrically inclined either. Do not live near any kind of hobby shop and would pay to fix but not sure where to look, also looked into buying new one but I have searched Internet high and low and can not find one except on Amazon and store that sells through Amazon does not get good reviews and I do not want to buy used.i am thinking upgrading to a vision and would sell this but for how much?

Since you have not posted the location where you live in your profile how do you expect anyone to help you with either a hobby shop or service center near by.

isle said:

Next time, look at the profile of the person who is given you advice. Also, using rice should be all over the Internet and YouTube. No offense meant, but my 86 year old Mom knows about the rice method. Used with what I suggested, works well. But, even though my success is 100%, it isn't a guaranteed fix.

I am very sorry about the damage. I tend to think water was still trapped there as vent are right underneath. But, you Phantom probably isn't a total loss.

For those who may not have thread it, desiccant powder is better than rice, if you have a lot of it. Talk to your Pharmacy manager and they will most likely save it for you. They throw it away anyway. I had to beg mine to stop! I put them with guns, in drones when not flying, etc.

isle said:
Central coast California, San Luis Obio

Check your PM messages

Ahhhh dang It must not of been completely dried yet when you turned it back on. and you fried your esc. (electric speed controller) the escs have a lot of amperage in them and the wires going to them. so it dont take much to short them out and fry them completely.

and the rice method its useally a good ideal to wait about a week or more before trying to power on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic