Upcoming Vacation/Traveling with P3

Reaction score
As the title says, I will be traveling to the Oregon coast next Monday for vacation. I'm definitely planning on bringing my P3 in its travel case (carry on). That said, is it true I need to deplete the battery to 30% (or lower) beforehand? Other than that, any tips and/or advice?

wow, nobody replied yet, I don't think it matters if you deplete the batteries or not, they just want those batteries in carry on. Somebody else should posts some info.
If your flying, you must have travels laid out, where are some of your stops on the coast?

wow, nobody replied yet, I don't think it matters if you deplete the batteries or not, they just want those batteries in carry on. Somebody else should posts some info.
If your flying, you must have travels laid out, where are some of your stops on the coast?
Thanks, RodPad. We'll be spending our week in Lincoln City.

Whether the batteries' state of charge is being checked or not, I think it's just plain common sense to discharge the batteries to a safer level (20-30%) before you pack them for your flight. It would also help to put them in a LiPo bag.

Well, the only thing I won't have is a LiPo bag, but it doesn't look as if it's required by the FAA. In addition, I will be draining the battery down to 0%. According to United, his shouldn't be an issue.

The FAA does not require batteries to be discharged to a certain level. See more details about their requirements here.

I just bought a P3S on my recent vacation to Hawaii and had no trouble bringing it home to Australia as carry on. TSA didnt even blink at it. I know the airlines only have restrictions on lipo batteries above 100wh and the P3S is only 68wh

Put your props in hold luggage just to be safe, I've seen some people have them taken off them as they could be used as a weapon. When j travelled from London to Milan I put the batteries in plastic zip lock bags and taped over the connector just to be safe and also depleted the batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Well, the only thing I won't have is a LiPo bag, but it doesn't look as if it's required by the FAA. In addition, I will be draining the battery down to 0%. According to United, his shouldn't be an issue.
Don't go to zero.:eek:
Maybe set them to auto discharge in a day, two days before you leave?
;)

Reactions: cfd701
They auto discharge to 50% for storage, I would think that's good.

Just don't travel when the batteries are still auto-discharging. The process generates some heat, which is normal and well-documented. But it may not be ideal for safety reasons when the batteries are packed/padded in your carry-on at 39,000 ft.

Just don't travel when the batteries are still auto-discharging. The process generates some heat, which is normal and well-documented. But it may not be ideal for safety reasons when the batteries are packed/padded in your carry-on at 39,000 ft.
Yeah, that was my thought, making the discharge time as short as possible.
Added:
Makes you wonder is it 24 hrs or less than 48?
or
Is it in based on an hour glass with rice?

The discharge time is relative to the initial state of charge. The documentation says it can take "up to 2 days". In other words, discharging from 100% to 60% will take longer than discharging from 80%.

Here comes the silly question. I go out and fly until the battery is at 50%. Is this the same as being auto discharged?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Here comes the silly question. I go out and fly until the battery is at 50%. Is this the same as being auto discharged?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
50% is 50%, no matter how it got there.

Pretty much the same result.

The auto-discharge prevents premature ageing of the batteries by draining them down to a more stable state of charge. If you used the battery down to 66% or lower, the auto-discharge will no longer be triggered.

Thanks. Thought so but wanted to make sure. I have experience with discharging from my rc cars (mini-z) but this is my first "smart" battery.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

The discharge time is relative to the initial state of charge. The documentation says it can take "up to 2 days". In other words, discharging from 100% to 60% will take longer than discharging from 80%.
Hum, I guess this makes me think more, if you set it to Discharge in 2 days, so after say 48 hrs, with the battery at 100% how many hours or days would it take to complete the discharge?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20