Upcoming Premiere Pro CC 2015 Features

Reaction score
New feature highlights of the upcoming Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015 update:

- Premiere Pro expands on its exceptional support for UltraHD, 4K and beyond workflows with new, native support for HEVC (h.265), DNxHR, and OpenEXR media, for both encode and decode, allowing editors to edit and deliver any format they need to.

- Lumetri Color Panel, designed to let editors to be creative with color without needing to work in a complex grading application, will be further enhanced with initial support for High Dynamic Range (HDR) workflows.

- Touch support for Windows hybrid touch devices like the Microsoft Surface Pro, and improved gestural support using Apple Force Touch track pads.

- New GPU optimized Optical Flow Time Remapping will let you get that smooth slow motion and speed ramps you want even when you haven’t shot at ultra high frame rates, and will provide significantly improved frame-rate conversion.

- Loads of other improvements and optimizations throughout the application as our goal remains unchanged: to provide the best creative experience possible.

More here:
Revealing the next release of Adobe Premiere Pro CC | Premiere Pro work area

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442584335.099706.jpg

Reactions: woobisah
Not sure I follow. I think all of the above are of interest to phantom video editors.

- Premiere Pro expands on its exceptional support for UltraHD, 4K and beyond workflows with new, native support for HEVC (h.265), DNxHR, and OpenEXR media, for both encode and decode, allowing editors to edit and deliver any format they need to.
No relevance at all for Phantoms because they use H.264 which is already supported.

- Lumetri Color Panel, designed to let editors to be creative with color without needing to work in a complex grading application, will be further enhanced with initial support for High Dynamic Range (HDR) workflows.
Lumetri Color Panels have been around awhile (I use them in my color correction in conjunction with the Three-way Color Corrector effect). The only addition is HDR, and the Phantom does not do HDR video, just HDR photos.

- Touch support for Windows hybrid touch devices like the Microsoft Surface Pro, and improved gestural support using Apple Force Touch track pads.
I do have a Surface, but I don't do video editing on it, especially since I work primarily in 4K. I guess I could edit 1080p or lower on it, albeit at a significant speed penalty.

- New GPU optimized Optical Flow Time Remapping will let you get that smooth slow motion and speed ramps you want even when you haven’t shot at ultra high frame rates, and will provide significantly improved frame-rate conversion.
-This might give more control over time lapse shots or converted regular frame rates into slow-mo. We'll have to see how well it works because Adobe's own video announcing the feature used a fairly jumpy video to start with and ended up with a jumpy video. I don't know why they chose that example.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm ecstatic since I'm both a Phantom and Samsung NX1 owner. :)
I'm happy for you. Samsung NX1s are fantastic video cameras, but the lack of H.265 support seriously damaged the usefulness of them since no mainstream NLEs supported H.265 (until now). It's funny how the leaders in modern photography and videography now seem to be the large electronics conglomerates like Sony, Panasonic and Samsung with traditional camera companies like Canon and Nikon playing catch up (certainly on the video side of things). I don't have anything that uses H.265, but I would be curious as to decode/encode times with it.

Exporting to H265 ESPECIALLY for Phantom and Inspire owners is a great export option to have. Modern streaming and all 4K TV's for the last year support HEVC 265 and it provides much higher quality than feeding these devices the DJI 264 encoded video.

Do some research on this topic but the problems with subtle flickering are related to playback where the playback processor is asked to delta between subsequent frames while decoding where virtually all pixels have changed and the load on the decoder is extreme resulting in flickering. This is in part due to the lack of b-frames in the DJI encoder. It can be somewhat reduced by shooting with Sharpness = -1, or 3, but that produces noticeable softer/mushy video and the resulting artifacts are still there.

On large format (60-inch or bigger) 4K TV's this actually results in physical nausea by the viewer. Just the effect you were going for.

Offloading that decoding to the rendering process on export to H265 rids the resulting video of that nasty subtle flicker effect partly due to moving the decoding to the (already long) rendering process and partly due to the high performance of dedicated HEVC hardware-based decoding.

Last edited:
Touch support isn't for editing ON the devices, it's for moving around the Premiere Pro interface on your PC/Mac

Last edited:
Optical flow time remapping uses a combination of technologies Adobe has built into Premiere over the years.

Getting liquid smooth slow motion when you didn't record in a high frame rate is pretty awesome.

Agreed, hopefully the result will be awesome and work well for aerial photography.

I do have a Surface, but I don't do video editing on it, especially since I work primarily in 4K. I guess I could edit 1080p or lower on it, albeit at a significant speed penalty.

I have a Surface Pro 3, Corei7 and all that, tried to edit 4k on it once... once...

Touch support isn't for editing ON the devices, it's for moving around the Premiere Pro interface on your PC/Mac

Oh I figured that.. was just agreeing with your speed penalty comment. I had figured a Corei7 system, regardless of being a PC or tablet, would be able to somewhat handle 4k...

Exporting to H265 ESPECIALLY for Phantom and Inspire owners is a great export option to have. Modern streaming and all 4K TV's for the last year support HEVC 265 and it provides much higher quality than feeding these devices the DJI 264 encoded video...
It's great that these TVs support it but what does that really mean for the content producer? It still is of no use to me until YouTube accepts H.265...and YouTube in 2015 is the lion's share of video content production and distribution in the world nowadays (certainly for amateurs). I can see them accepting H.265 files at some point, but they will still re-encode into VP9 (or whatever Google's current codec is at that point). Besides H.265 videos today will drain iPhone batteries even faster than they already do so mobile distribution is a weak spot for H.265 right now as well. There are a variety of scenarios in the future where H.265 will be the go-to codec, but it will most likely be when we go beyond 4K and we are nowhere near there yet and when that time comes I am sure I will have moved on beyond the Phantom 3 Pro. So for me (and, I suspect, a majority of amateur videographers who put videos on the interwebs) it provides no real advantage, unless I happen to have a Samsung 4K camera, which I don't. I'm in the MFT galaxy.

I'm don't follow what you mean here. Using a touch interface for moving around the Premiere Pro interface is in fact for editing on the device with the touchscreen (e.g. a Surface Pro 3). Am I missing something? It's happened before.

It's great that these TVs support it but what does that really mean for the content producer? It still is of no use to me until YouTube accepts H.265...and YouTube in 2015 is the lion's share of video content production and distribution in the world nowadays (certainly for amateurs). I can see them accepting H.265 files at some point, but they will still re-encode into VP9 (or whatever Google's current codec is at that point). Besides H.265 videos today will drain iPhone batteries even faster than they already do so mobile distribution is a weak spot for H.265 right now as well. There are a variety of scenarios in the future where H.265 will be the go-to codec, but it will most likely be when we go beyond 4K and we are nowhere near there yet and when that time comes I am sure I will have moved on beyond the Phantom 3 Pro. So for me (and, I suspect, a majority of amateur videographers who put videos on the interwebs) it provides no real advantage, unless I happen to have a Samsung 4K camera, which I don't. I'm in the MFT galaxy.

I'm don't follow what you mean here. Using a touch interface for moving around the Premiere Pro interface is in fact for editing on the device with the touchscreen (e.g. a Surface Pro 3). Am I missing something? It's happened before.

If YouTube is your only destination, quality probably isn't a concern and h265 is probably of no interest to you.

Anyone who wants to deliver content elsewhere will want this as an option however, and users making home movies shown on their own 4K TVs will want h265 as well for the best quality with DJI h.264 codec-captured video.

Re: mobile device gestures, Windows supports direct touch on the screen and that's supported as well as Apple trackpads for interacting with Premiere Pro running on the PC/Mac (not running on a device):

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442635786.060671.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31