Upcoming FAA 107 certificate testing and certificate information

mjw

Reaction score
Has anyone seen any information about the upcoming testing for the 107 certificate (if I am saying it right) so one can use their drone commercially? I have the summary of 107 rules but surely something either exists or will be issued to study for the test. I don't want to wander into a testing facility spend $150.00 and not pass -

Has anyone seen any information about the upcoming testing for the 107 certificate (if I am saying it right) so one can use their drone commercially? I have the summary of 107 rules but surely something either exists or will be issued to study for the test. I don't want to wander into a testing facility spend $150.00 and not pass -
For study check this out: www.sarahnilsson.org/aviation/uag-test-prep-1/

Go to FAA Safety. They have a study guide, practice test, etc. Also, do a search for flight training schools in your local airports. I called one close to me today. They are doing thenFAA testing starting Aug 29, thats when FAA is cutting the chains. They also supplied me with some additional study materials as well.

The study guide at FAA right now is really only helpful for people with current sports license. You have to prep WAY WAY beyond what is in that little guide. The Sarah Neilson thing above is a good start and points more to ALL the areas of the test. It's a pretty significant amount of info when you don't already have a pilot's license.

You can certainly get all the information online if you know where to look and what you need. First, you'll need to go through the ACS and cross-reference all the references to the areas/tasks. This will point you to the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, the FAA Risk Management Handbook, the FAA Weather Handbook, the AIM, various ACs and SAFOs, and finally, the full list of regulations. The ACS will give you the books, but it doesn't tell you which chapters or sections of chapters are pertinent. For example, only about 20% of the Pilot's Handbook (PHAK) is relevant to Part 107 issues. Without guidance, you have no idea what to actually study. The same thing with the rest of the books and docs.

Just found a guy online who is selling a Part 107 Study Guide for $179. He doesn't tell you much about the book beyond showing the Table of Contents. Based on the titles of his chapters, looks like he's skipping about half the stuff in the ACS. Y'all be careful. It's a jungle out there!

I don't know, I'm pretty sure I remember taking a study course on FAA site and took a practice test and everything. And what I THOUGHT I read was that currently licensed pilots don't have to pay the $150 to take the test, but unlicensed, new UAS guys have to pay. But it's the same course.

You are 100% correct, Gary. Part 61 pilots can take the online short "course" followed by a 35-question test without charge. Once Part 107 goes "live" you'll be able to enter it into IACRA and you'll be in business.

It's not, however, the same course for non-pilots. The Part 61 test does not cover airspaces, weather, airport operations, communications, etc., since pilots have already passed this material in previous tests. Non-pilots will have to take the full deal.

Here's the email I got from the testing location based in a flight school near me.

Gary,
This is a confirmation e mail: Aug 29th at 1pm
615 Airport Rd, Suite 101
Winchester, VA 22602

You need to bring with you
a valid drivers license with your current address
$165.00 for the testing fee

There is no endorsement needed to take the test
I will be providing pencils and paper as well as any testing supplements that the FAA will provide.
This link Computer Testing Supplements will take you to the faa.gov site.
Click on Private, Recreational and Sport Pilot supplement. (FAA-CT-808-2G). I have been told that this is the supplement that will be used for the UAS FAA computer test. Do not panic. There are figures that you will not be required to know. Use the faasafety.gov Part 107 course to locate the pertinent figures to study.
This is new and we will be learning along the way together. :)

Well, they're sorta right and sorta wrong. The "course" at faasafety.gov is not the full deal and if that is all that non-pilots use to prep, they are guaranteed to fail the test. If that happens, they have to shell out the cash to take it again and wait 14 days before doing it. Lots of reasons for people to try to pass it the first time.

Reactions: qrandle

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31