Unsure of which to buy

Reaction score
Apologies for the long post as I am completely new to drones! Recently, my son received a small inexpensive model for Christmas. Unfortunately, right out of the box, 2 of the motors were faulty so we returned it. It got me to thinking that it might be worth it to just step up and buy a good quality model that we can both learn to enjoy. My first thought after some research was the P3S because it seems to be at a great price right now, but in reading in various places the last couple of days, I'm not sure now. The first thing that stopped me were the firmware issues that I kept reading about. I have this terrible fear that it will wind up as either a brick or with a severely limited range.Then in doing some more research, I've found that other models of the 3 and now the 4 have more range, object avoidance, and do not need wifi, the latter of which I can see as being a real problem with the 3S if you are in a field away from a good wifi signal. The 4P looks to be the cream of the crop, but at $1500, that's just not going to happen right now. I guess my question is, am I worrying about nothing, and should I just save a little more and go for the 3A or 3P? All that aside, I've been watching tutorials and have read the manual as well as posts on here for 2-3 days and I feel much more comfortable now than when I started!

Phantom 3 standard has built in wifi - will work anywhere....you connect to the unit itself. I fly mine way out in the country.

Phantom 3 standard has built in wifi - will work anywhere....you connect to the unit itself. I fly mine way out in the country.

Lol, after reading your response, I realized I knew that but was somehow thinking of my phone for the app which doesn't need it at that point.

Is there any advantage to buying from DJI vs someplace like Amazon?
Amazon is an okay place to buy from too. Make sure you only buy from an authorized DJI dealer if you live in the US though. Otherwise, DJI will not honor their warranty if you need to use it. I have a list of authorized DJI dealers selling Phantoms on Amazon here.

Amazon is an okay place to buy from too. Make sure you only buy from an authorized DJI dealer if you live in the US though. Otherwise, DJI will not honor their warranty if you need to use it. I have a list of authorized DJI dealers selling Phantoms on Amazon here.

Ok, thank you for the list!

What is are the big differences that make it that way? Is there any advantage to buying from DJI vs someplace like Amazon?
The standard is wifi. Kind of limited to distance and one more thing to have to log onto. Still a great drone and camera
Once you get Lightbridge you'll never go back
But it's a couple hundred more for the advanced and then more for the pro and then more for the P4.
How much do you want to spend?:)

The standard is wifi. Kind of limited to distance and one more thing to have to log onto. Still a great drone and camera
Once you get Lightbridge you'll never go back
But it's a couple hundred more for the advanced and then more for the pro and then more for the P4.
How much do you want to spend?:)

Honestly, after doing more research and what you said about the lightbridge, I'm willing to wait a bit and save the extra couple hundred to get one of the other 2. In the meantime, I may even spend $50 or so and pick up a cheap syma to help us at least get a feel for flying.

for a 120 more you could just mod the standard controller to get more range... You can get a standard for around 450 maybe 399 and then just mod the controller and you'll get good range and come out cheaper than the advanced.

I learned on the Syma x5c-1. Money well spent. Still enjoy flying it. Great to learn on.

Sent from my XT1097 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm going to order one today, possibly one of the updated versions.I think it's the right thing to do before stepping up to the phantom. I'll probably buy 2-3 extra batteries as well so we can get some good sessions out of it.

Just ordered a P4 refurbished from the DJI site.
With extra battery is came to $910 shipped and taxes included.
Check it out.
Go to DJI and in the upper part search for refurbished and all the models will come up that are available.
RC

The way I look at it is: The P3S is a good introductory drone. Yes, it does not have all the bells & whistles of the 4 but then again, both won't be worth much if they crash after a faulty flight. So, I convinced myself the P3S was a good step into the hobby, for both my son and myself to learn to fly, understand the technology, and some father/son time together. If we both still like/love the hobby a year from now, then we might upgrade. For now, the P3S shall suffice. Of course, all of this depends really on how much $$$ you're willing to throw at it.

for a 120 more you could just mod the standard controller to get more range... You can get a standard for around 450 maybe 399 and then just mod the controller and you'll get good range and come out cheaper than the advanced.
I bought a standard with the argtek range extender. Previous owner messed up the install.
I did some fancy soldering and it seems to work well.
By the time you start adding things to try and make it better you're better off just going with the real thing.
And hope you don't break anything in the process
Refurb models from DJI come with new accessories and a warranty
DJI Refurbish | DJI Store
Newegg is an authorized dealer and you can get a refurb advanced for $569 witht the coupon code
Newegg DJI deals phantom 3 advanced $569 and phantom 3 pro refurb $599 01-03-2017

As enticing as it looks right now, I'm going wait and get the syma so we can get our feet wet on that learning the ins and outs of flying one. Considering the deals right now, I have to believe that the price won't go up in the next couple of months anyway, and that I should be able to get any one of those at or near those price points when I'm. Ready anyway. Sound logical?

I bought a standard with the argtek range extender. Previous owner messed up the install.
I did some fancy soldering and it seems to work well.
By the time you start adding things to try and make it better you're better off just going with the real thing.
And hope you don't break anything in the process
Refurb models from DJI come with new accessories and a warranty
DJI Refurbish | DJI Store
Newegg is an authorized dealer and you can get a refurb advanced for $569 witht the coupon code
Newegg DJI deals phantom 3 advanced $569 and phantom 3 pro refurb $599 01-03-2017
Shouldn't have to solder anything. I'm not the type to buy a new toy every time something comes out. If I can increase the performance of what I have now for less than a newer version then it's OK in my book. 399 plus 120 for the DBS mod it's still cheaper then the other ones.

Sent from my SM-T280 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Shouldn't have to solder anything. I'm not the type to buy a new toy every time something comes out. If I can increase the performance of what I have now for less than a newer version then it's OK in my book. 399 plus 120 for the DBS mod it's still cheaper then the other ones.

Like I said in my post, po messed up the install and broke the connections where the antenna wires were on the board.
I managed to solder the ground wires and secure the connecters with hot glue.
$520 for a modded standard vs a refurb advanced with a warranty for $569? There's no comparison.
Once you've flown one of the newer versions you would throw your standard in the trash. Mine is just a dust collecter

I wound up ordering from Potensic on Amazon the upgraded version syma x5c-1. I got the package with 3 extra batteries, 4 extra blades, the multi charger, and hard case for $110. I went ahead and and got the amazon credit card, which really isn't a bad card if you don't carry a balance, and used the $50 gift card bonus towards it. Got free shipping too, and should have it some time next week.

Like I said in my post, po messed up the install and broke the connections where the antenna wires were on the board.
I managed to solder the ground wires and secure the connecters with hot glue.
$520 for a modded standard vs a refurb advanced with a warranty for $569? There's no comparison.
Once you've flown one of the newer versions you would throw your standard in the trash. Mine is just a dust collecter
You can get a refurbished P3S for 359. So yes you can get it done cheaper than 520.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20