P3 Firmware unsure about updating firmware

Reaction score
I am unsure abouty updating my firmware to the latest firmware, Ive been reading lots of horror stories lately about all the failed updates and guys not being able to get it fixed guess its got me a little scared, I was just gonna stay with the update I have on there now but now that they came out with a update for flying in the cold kind of makes me wanna do it because I live in Sask Canada and its cold here right now and like to do a little winter flying when I can, I dont know guess im just looking for some reassurance on doing the update, it seems we hear more of the horror stories on here about the updates then the success stories....to do or not to do thats the question I guess, or just stick with whats been workingbut cant skip all the updates I guess either...opinions?

Thanks everyone for the tips and help New firmware update was a success, just have to do a IMU calibration gimbal calibration RC calibration yet and phantom dance and see how she flies

I have always updated my P3P relatively soon after each firmware or GO app was available, since last May.

No issues at all, other than the time they broke the VPS (so I landed manually, which I do most of the time anyway).

As with any new mass-produced consumer technology (that's not military or industrial grade), there will be glitches. Each firmware update will probably fix three things, but break something minor.

Early PC's and mobile phones were like that, too. (And many still are: Windows Vista, and for some, Windows 8 )?

The Phantoms are outstanding products that incorporate amazing technology at very-affordable prices. Mine is flying even better now will all the updates, than it did when I bought it. And it was pretty good then, too!

Last edited:
I installed the update yesterday. My drone updated just fine but then I couldn't figure out how to update the controller. It was funny because with the controller and the drone on I could move the camera around but it didn't show that it was connected via the app. Once I connected the remote control to the drone via the supplied USB cable everything updated and worked fine.

Once I connected the remote control to the drone via the supplied USB cable everything updated and worked fine.
This is the part the just thoroughly confuses me. The onlt cable I got has a Micro connector on one end and a standard USB on the other end. I have a standard, so this must be a Advanced and (or) pro thing right?

Thanks everyone for the tips and help New firmware update was a success, just have to do a IMU calibration gimbal calibration RC calibration yet and phantom dance and see how she flies
Squiddley, I took my first flight yesterday in 19 degree weather, no problems. Actual flight time was only about 12 min. cuz I wasn't wearing gloves and my fingers got too numb to fly anymore, otherwise I'd have kept on going and likely would have flown another battery. If anything the aircraft's response seemed a little sluggish, which was somewhat expected with this cold weather update. Happy flying!

Do you have any gimbal shake after the update i noticed mine drifts more then normal now when hovering and my gimbal shakes slightly now after the update

I noticed no difference after the upgrade. Well, maybe in RTH when it descends. It seems to descend a little bit slower but that is all I noticed. Everything else seems just like before the firmware update.

I have downloaded the latest firmware v1.6 but haven't installed it yet. My P3P came with v1.3, I see where other versions were out between v1.3 & v1.6. Because from what I've read some people want to go back to v1.3 & if you want to go backwards from v1.6 to v1.3 you can only go back 1 version at a time to get where you want to be. With that said it is possible to update from v1.3 to v1.6 without doing the updates in between?

Also I am concerned about the geofencing. I do real estate photography & homes are near an airport. I never fly more then 80ft when taking pictures of homes but with a geofence in place will this prohibit me from taking photos if I update the firmware to v1.6? Anyone know off hand how far out the fence goes? Think I read 5 miles, is this true and can the parameters be changed? Or is it just a warning me?

I have downloaded the latest firmware v1.6 but haven't installed it yet. My P3P came with v1.3, I see where other versions were out between v1.3 & v1.6. Because from what I've read some people want to go back to v1.3 & if you want to go backwards from v1.6 to v1.3 you can only go back 1 version at a time to get where you want to be. With that said it is possible to update from v1.3 to v1.6 without doing the updates in between?
You can update from 1.3 to 1.6 but not 1.6 to 1.3 yet.

Also I am concerned about the geofencing. I do real estate photography & homes are near an airport. I never fly more then 80ft when taking pictures of homes but with a geofence in place will this prohibit me from taking photos if I update the firmware to v1.6? Anyone know off hand how far out the fence goes? Think I read 5 miles, is this true and can the parameters be changed? Or is it just a warning me?
Yes, 1.6 had Geo in it. 1.5, 1.6 and 1.7 do have Geo in it, just seems to be a gradual increase.
No perimeters cant be changed unless you go to 1.7 and get DJI to allow you to in a request. Hence, why Im waiting on updating. (Yet) not till we work out the ability to roll back fw without caching the NFZ in the quad.

You can update from 1.3 to 1.6 but not 1.6 to 1.3 yet.

Yes, 1.6 had Geo in it. 1.5, 1.6 and 1.7 do have Geo in it, just seems to be a gradual increase.
No perimeters cant be changed unless you go to 1.7 and get DJI to allow you to in a request. Hence, why Im waiting on updating. (Yet) not till we work out the ability to roll back fw without caching the NFZ in the quad.
Ok great, I have 1.3 & will have to keep it cause 1.4 is not available anymore. Thanks for the information.

I know 1.4 has POI, Waypoints, & Home Lock. Only interested in Home Lock, but then again RTH does the same thing pretty much. By the time you get up in the air & lock your positions your battery is draining & every minute counts. I'm not into video much, more photography. Its still on the DJI website available for download. I'm curious why are you trying to get back to 1.3?

1.3 handles better, didnt drift, doesnt have as much NFZ limiting, and all those POI, Home lock, Course lock, waypoints, etc Litchi can do even on 1.3, which I prefer anyway. With Litchi, I can pre plan my POIs without using up my battery.

Have firmware 1.4.30+ on controller -- 1.4.10+ on Quad Comes up that an update is required. Somewhere I read that if I dont update regularly I wont be able to update to a later version in time (ie; missing out in between updates) and later will not operate. Also if updates are done incorrectly and the Phantom crashes how will this effect my warranty.

I am in South Australia. Rang dealer here who sold it to me and was told. 1. Not sure whether updates would have to be progressively installed ( ie missing out of in between updates) 2. If an update was unknowingly installed incorrectly and Quad was crashed you would not be covered by your warranty. Leads me to think that I should get the dealer to install updates as they become available as this would then maintain my cover.

It's my understanding that you do not need to do an update if you choose not to. I am on v1.3 & plan to stay there for now after reading many posts. In fact some people are trying to get earlier versions after they've upgraded, you can only go back one version at a time in order to get the one you are comfortable with but as for going forward you can go from v1.3 to v1.6 without any problems. I have not updated because of Geo Fencing. I live in the Fla Keys, groups of islands connected by bridges that stretch 110 miles. If I update to v1.6 Geo Fencing is enabled & my motors won't arm if I'm within 5 miles of an airport. That means some islands are completely off limits. I always Fly Safe & in no way do I fly near any airports, I have no need to fly higher then 100' for my photos, but the newest version (from what I've read) prohibits me from flying in quite a few locations. I've read that v1.3, v1.4 is a good version but v1.4 isn't available anymore, its not on the DJI website. Depending who you talk to on the forum most have upgraded without any problems & some have failed miserably. I've read so many things that have gone wrong, kinda spooked. I started out with a Blade Chroma & it operates flawlessly but wanted better pictures quality, its ok in the middle of the photo but falls apart around the edges so I was looking to upgrade. When I fly my Chroma I'm very confident in my ability & equipment & what to expect but with my P3P I am a bit hesitant & don't have that warm comfy feeling in side. Haven't had any problems yet, just have to get comfortable with it. I realize most problems are pilot error that causes most crashes but the fly aways concern me the most. I know a guy this happened to & he was a good pilot, we still can't figure out what happened, flew out over the ocean never to be seen again. If you are looking to upgrade or just get info on you quad there are some really good videos on youtube that are easy to follow & very informative. Pick out a few to get familiar with the procedures on updating. There is lots of good advice from more experienced with the P3P then I am, but I have learned a lot. As for sending it into DJI for updates done correctly that's a good idea but beware, I've read their service dept takes forever to get anything done & sent back, like weeks.

Reactions: Apilot101
Thanks JP. You have been most helpful.As I understand DJI announced an update on 7th. Dec.2015 that would allow - Waypoints - Point of interest - Follow me -- Course Lock and Homelock. Would I be stretching the point to far to suggest that any Phantom 3 that was manufactured after that date and in my case sold three weeks ago would have the update to that level thus including the above. I have only flown it a few times having graduated from a QX350 so I have not explored the expanded potential of the Advanced.Once again thanks for your help Skyedoge

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20