Unstable, Shaky Video... How can I improve?

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 2 Vision and I'm not pleased with my captured video from my flights. It is very unstable and jerky/jumpy. How can I improve? How can I obtain movie-like pans? I'm sure the wind is having an effect as well.

Do I have to step up to the Vision Plus to get that buttery smooth movie-like panning without editing?

Should I try ATTI and just let the phantom float to pan?

Re: Unstable, Shaky Video... How can I improve?

Geert said:
djsydvicious said:
I have a Phantom 2 Vision and I'm not pleased with my captured video from my flights. It is very unstable and jerky/jumpy. How can I improve? How can I obtain movie-like pans? I'm sure the wind is having an effect as well.

Do I have to step up to the Vision Plus to get that buttery smooth movie-like panning without editing?

Should I try ATTI and just let the phantom float to pan?

You can not make a smooth video with the standard gimbal. You will need at least a 2 axis gimbal.
There are several options for another gimbal.

Geert./.
I thought the vision was a 2 axis and the plus is a 3axle

Wow! I think I'm going to send this one back and get the 3 axis. I guess you really do get what you pay for.

Thanks.

Geert said:
djsydvicious said:
Wow! I think I'm going to send this one back and get the 3 axis. I guess you really do get what you pay for.

Thanks.

If I were you, I would not send it back. Just add a decent gimbal. See http://www.rotorpixel.com
The camera and the gimbal from the Phantom 2Vision Plus are very fragile. Several members say that after even a small crash , they have to replace camera/gimbal and they are very expensive.
The camera from the Phantom 2 Vision is much more robust.

Geert./.
I will definitely take a look at that. Although, I would love the distance gain (for the WiFi and the TX), I'm very scared of that camera and it's sensitivity to damage.

It's definitely an improvement, for $389, but you will occasionally notice some motion artifact in the yaw axis. I read that there was going to be some kind of Rotorpixel add-on for the third axis, but I haven't seen it around yet and don't know what it would add to the cost.

I'm seriously considering this RotorPixel route. It's cheaper for me to get a Vision+.

Let me ask this, how does the RotorPixel affect flight time? Also, does the RotorPixel affect landings and takeoffs and how the Vision flies?

I'm sure a lot of my answers are in that 500 something page thread but would be hard to find.

The rotopixel gimble is excellant , flight times are about 16 mins dependant on wind and I usually land at 30-40% , easy to fit , it's a bugger to balance if you have a filter attached to your camera , if not its balanced already for the camera on its own.
I can't wait for them to bring out the. 3 axis , hope it's soon , if not they will miss a window as the inspire will be affordable mid to late next year I reckon

karlsch said:
ProDRENALIN will often stabilize videos reasonably well. It also eliminates fisheye distortion. http://www.prodad.com/home/products/act ... ,l-us.html

ProDAD Mercalli 3 and 4 output acceptable video from the P2V shots, but there is significant loss in detail (resolution) and the original usually does not have any detail to spare. I usually scale everything to 720p when I am done because it actually does not look any worse than 1080p after processing.

ProDAD Mercalli 3 is good enough unless you need advanced rolling shutter and jello correction which require Mercalli 4

Check this example from some footage I shot last friday:

Side by Side http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPUFawZB ... 0LXFS3tD2w
Result: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idGwIHdr ... 0LXFS3tD2w

(For those who are concerned, yes those are some big antennas, but I have done several test flights, increasing distance very gradually)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20