Unstable phantom (v1)

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I have experienced some problems with my Phantom and hoped you could help.

My phantom is really hard to fly lately, in all modes. It makes sudden dips and tents to yaw to the left. I have done several recalibrations, changed the carbon props for Grapuner 8x5's and recalibrated the IMU a few times on a good, solid and level surface. All the props are fastened tightly, no loose parts that can shift around.

Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_vwelr ... e=youtu.be

The sticks were set for a gentle left turn, but it wobbled all over the pace. No wind that day, at all.

Anyone any clue what I can do about this?

1) go back to the OEM props
2) try balancing your props

those are my only thoughts I had a similar problem when i switched to the Carbon Fiber props and these were some of the suggestions that I received. switching to the originals solved the problem quickly.

flyguy25 said:
1) go back to the OEM props
2) try balancing your props

+1

On a P1, I've seen little or no benefit to CF or E-props, and unstable jumpy flight like that is ofen the result. You can balance the props (should always do that anyway) and tweak the gains some, but your better bet would probably be to just start using the stock P2 props...which are great. There's a non-self-tightening verison now too for those P1 owners who don't have cross-threaded motors.

I was under the impression that the Graupner props were fastly superior and didn't need balancing. I'll go back to the stock props and I'll see what they'll do. Thank you for responding!

OI Photography, I did notice an improvement when I switched to the CF props it was faster and more agile but the jumpy. The jumpy flight could be caused by the stiffness in the props. I like to think of the props like a cars suspension the more flexible they are the smoother the flight will be and vis versa the stiffer they are the better performance you will receive but will defiantly notice the gyroscopic corrections the onboard computer is making to keep it level due to the fact that the props don't really flex. You do make a good point about the P2 props being better there are lots of threads on here that suggest that is the case.

flyguy25 said:
OI Photography, I did notice an improvement when I switched to the CF props it was faster and more agile but the jumpy. The jumpy flight could be caused by the stiffness in the props. I like to think of the props like a cars suspension the more flexible they are the smoother the flight will be and vis versa the stiffer they are the better performance you will receive but will defiantly notice the gyroscopic corrections the onboard computer is making to keep it level due to the fact that the props don't really flex.

Very true, and the suspension analogy is good, as that's pretty much exactly what's effectively happening when you move to stiffer props like that. There can indeed be situations where they're the better option, I've just found them to be not well suited for the average Phantom user. However, if you're building a rig where speed and tighter response are the goals, you will probably want something less flexible than stock props.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj