Unstable P3 and Motor/Compass Issues?

Reaction score
I have had my P3 for about 2 weeks now. After 1 week I crashed it pretty bad and broke the gimbal off completely. I tried fixing but in the end I replaced the entire gimbal/camera unit with a new one. I ALSO had to replace a motor that was sounding funky.

At that point in time I did a few flight tests and all was OK and flying normally. Over the next 2-3 days I continued flying it and saw no issues.

Then 3 days later all the sudden whey flying it seems to loose control and become very unstable. The first flight i had it about 20 meters up and was seeming to just go off on its own but I still had full control. It was just if I let go of the controls it would float off.

Later when I tested and with all future tests, it gets off the ground 4 meters but then basically looses control after a few seconds (if not sooner) and lands roughly or flips or crashes.

I would have thought it was from the crash to cause these issues but since it was fine for 2-3 days after fixing it is very odd. I am COMPLETELY clueless as to what is causing this. I checked firmware updates on the RC and P3 but all was current. I ran a full IMU and reset and checked everything else. I even opened up the drone to check if my motor soudering was bad but it is still attached just fine. And when you just turn the drone on from the ground the motors sound just fine. But once it flies it sounds a bit like it is hitting something but visually on inside and out it seems just fine!?!?

Any advise is appreciated as I have had trouble finding any good answers to this kind of problem here or elsewhere on the P3. All indicators on the APP say everything is just fine, all of the ESC lights work just fine.

The only discrepancy I can see is when I power off the motors, they all stop at the same time except for one? Maybe one is over powered somehow? I will note the one that stops last is not the one I replaced.

The only discrepancy I can see is when I power off the motors, they all stop at the same time except for one? Maybe one is over powered somehow? I will note the one that stops last is not the one I replaced.
You may have a bad bearing on one making the noise or maybe a small screw is caught on one inside the motor. did you run them inside with the props off? Try to run them and determine which motor the noise is coming from.

I thought so too except when I power it on inside to just listen to the motors they all sound fine. Only issue is after takeoff. After more research I believe it may be the compass which I later noticed also took damage from the crash. So getting that replaced to see if that does the trick. If not thinking it may be the IMU. Going that direction as after running the IMU calibration a few times it did seem a bit better then got worse again so seems less likely a motor issue.

Update - I ended up ordering a new set of legs with a new compass (only $12) as the old compass did appear slightly damaged. After installing the new one and doing many compass calibrations it seems to be all back to normal!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31