Unscrewing the P3 camera lens cap

@bmcgnh hey I checked for you. So the rubber ring goes last. So the housing first, then the glass and then the rubber o-ring. Hope that helps.

New ND filters arrived today and I can't get the frigging lens cap off the camera! I had presumed it was finger tight but appears to me I am in for a surgical session with it in order to remove it! Guess I should break out the monkey wrench......[emoji14] joking of course.....anyone had this problem and a solution??? I don't like even touching the camera when it's tethered to the gimbal....[emoji40]

I went thru the same BS over two nights, I must have sat at my desk for over an hour. What I did was very simple an the lens came off within seconds with a light touch. I put the whole thing in the freezer for about 30 minutes, I took it out and it came from off!

I lubed mine right up put a condom on the end of it, then put some rubber gloves on and got a happy ending, its called the Bangkok screwing system, im going to patent it so if anyone else uses this method i either want paying or you video it for me so i can LMAO!! happy screwing i mean UNscrewing!

Didn't happen without pictures.

shrug

Filter goes in first and then the 'O' ring next, thread side. The 'O' ring seems to hold the filter in place and when screwed on, possibly stops the filter vibrating loose.

I simply slip one of these on the P3's lens ring and presto! you can easily unscrew the lens cover, or not.

lol

51H%2BF9EvFnL.jpg

Snake River Prototyping
ND16CP btw

I simply slip one of these on the P3's lens ring and presto! you can easily unscrew the lens cover, or not.

lol

51H%2BF9EvFnL.jpg

Snake River Prototyping
ND16CP btw
My system is better and a lot more fun too!:D

BTW-

I know that this thread was started as a result of the Polar filters... I had little problem removing my lens cover to get the filters on...but...I ended up returning the filters. I made several test flights. Launching the drone up to 120' from the same launch point, taking a photo facing due north, rotating to take a photo facing due south, and then video with all three of the filters.

I just either didn't see any improvement--or--it appeared (to me) that the video was so dark I seemed to loose detail. I am in Central Florida with lots of sun and usually flying over vegetation.

I also noticed when I had the filter (any one of them except for the factory lens cover) the gimbal faced downward when at rest. With the DJI cover on the gimbal "rested" facing forward. I know the weight of the filters is not much but since I was not wowed using them, and I saw the unnatural "resting" position of the gimbal I just could not see any upside to using them....

bmcgnh,

The main reason for using the NDs on a video camera is so you can use the correct 180 degree shutter speed, to avoid the "Private Ryan" effect, very jumpy strobing footage.

For stills it will make very little difference unless you want a slow exposure to create motion blur.
Like if you are following a car keeping up with it and thus blur the back ground. Makes for great stills that really makes the car or bicycle, person or whatever look fast and stand out from the BG.

Best way I have found to remove lens is with a rubber wrist band. The ones they sometimes use to get you into events etc. Works a treat. Using fingers is useless.

Thanks for all the tips. Before checking the forum I used a large wrench and it would not budge. Used a strap wrench like uav-video and worked great. Amazing that it won't move w a typical gripping wrench

I used sun shade. Think trick was that it put back pressure on filter while turning. So try gently push from front while turning. Sun shade works every time for me.

The aluminum threads can be easily cross threaded and bind with excessive pressure. You need to get a firm but only finger tight grip to remove the cap I. use rubber gloves to get a good grip and then using as little pressure as possible, turn the cap counter-clockwise. Be sure to clean (gently) the actual glass photo lens with a brush and micro–cloth.

New ND filters arrived today and I can't get the frigging lens cap off the camera! I had presumed it was finger tight but appears to me I am in for a surgical session with it in order to remove it! Guess I should break out the monkey wrench......[emoji14] joking of course.....anyone had this problem and a solution??? I don't like even touching the camera when it's tethered to the gimbal....[emoji40]
Take a piece of flexable wire like a lamp wire and wrap it once around the filter. Grip both ends close to the filter with a pair of pliers to tighten the wire around the filter and then gently turn the filter. It will then unscrew. Thats how i got mine off.

I received the Polar filter set (that's how I had to come to remove my clear filter.) I made 4 test flights. One with each filter and one with the stock clear cover.

I positioned the drone in the same takeoff location; went to 120 feet and took a test photo "due north" and another photo "due south" and then a short hop around the field.

I was not impressed with the performance of the filters... I found the video was so dark the vegetation had little definition. I couldn't notice any improvement with the filters. The pictures were different--but I just couldn't say one photo was better than the others.

I also noted when the drone was at rest the camera pointed straight down (rather than straight-and-level). I know the filers do not have much weight but it was enough to have the camera "droop" at rest. I'm sure the additional weight of the filter is minimal but it appears to be enough to offset the CG of the camera. I'm not sure if there is any additional strain on the gimbal--maybe not.

Considering both factors I just decided to pass on the filters. I am flying in Central Florida with lots of sun, vegetation and quite a bit of water, maybe the filters would work better in another environment.

I just got my filters today,at first I could not get the stock lens off the camera. But I was gripping too tight.i then used some rubber grippy gloves holding the cap and turning lightly it came off.i need to do some test shots with each one to get a feel of how they perform.

I had the hardest time as well. I final just very loosely gripped the lens and start twisting and it came off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20