Unscrewing filter on P4 lens

Reaction score
I have a P4 with, apparently, a screw on UV lens - standard as shipped. Lots of folk talk about being able to unscrew this and fit other screw on lenses (mainly Polar Pro) but I'm darned if I can unscrew mine. I've not 'forced' it too much as I don't want to break the camera / gimbal but any suggestions? Turned on / turned off? Holding gimbal firmly on both sides or just one? Rubber gloves / rubber bands (I've even seen some advice about a condom!) - how did YOU undo yours the first time?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

A rubber band is the way to go....hold the top and bottom of the camera with one hand, and using as little pressure as possible, unscrew the filter with the band wrapped round it. Grip is your friend..pressure is your enemy!

Reactions: drone33
The trick is to hold the UV filter as loosely as possible while turning it to the left. A rubber glove, rubber band, etc. will help your fingers grip the filter so you don't have to put a lot of pressure on it.

I have a P4 with, apparently, a screw on UV lens - standard as shipped. Lots of folk talk about being able to unscrew this and fit other screw on lenses (mainly Polar Pro) but I'm darned if I can unscrew mine. I've not 'forced' it too much as I don't want to break the camera / gimbal but any suggestions? Turned on / turned off? Holding gimbal firmly on both sides or just one? Rubber gloves / rubber bands (I've even seen some advice about a condom!) - how did YOU undo yours the first time?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

After reading of all the ways to get it off, I turned to a pair of multigrips. That shifted it OK, but I didn't realise until later that I had cracked the lens. It cost me $AUD69 to replace it :confused:

I suggest that after you get if off you apply a microscopic amount of Luberex (GC electronic lube) to the threads. This will protect the threads from oxidizing and freezing your filter in place. Also keeps out moisture and dust.

I suggest that after you get if off you apply a microscopic amount of Luberex (GC electronic lube) to the threads. This will protect the threads from oxidizing and freezing your filter in place. Also keeps out moisture and dust.

Hey, thanks for that. I'm not an imaginative bloke and probably wouldn't have thought of it.

I guess I was lucky. Mine unscrewed very easily

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Ive tried in vain to get this bloody thing unscrewed but it still wont budge. Any one else have any ideas ???

Persevere with the rubber band method..the most important thing is not to squeeze it while you're trying to turn it.

Ive tried in vain to get this bloody thing unscrewed but it still wont budge. Any one else have any ideas ???
If you're still struggling, I sell a tool that does the job quickly and easily. Search phantom filter tool on eBay or Amazon and you'll find it.

Keep in mind the problem is with the material used to make the the threads from the camera side. Once you remove it. lube the threads and you will never have this problem again. If you can see the lube after applied, you used 2x times too much! Apply and screw on/off a filter about 10 times. Solved

Thanks for all your replies people. I tried again with a rubber band and it unscrewed realy easily this time. Just ordered my filters and going to try them out when they arrive. Happy days

I found that heating the ring with a hair dryer helps a lot. I've had my filter on and off several times. One day I went to put a filter on and it just wouldn't budge. I heated it with a hair dryer and it slipped right off.

The ring is aluminum and will expand with heat. The plastic it's screwed onto won't.

The average hair dryer shouldn't be hot enough to hurt the plastic or the camera, but one should be careful. Don't leave the dryer blowing on the ring for extended periods. It should do the trick in 10 - 20 seconds.

Mine would not come off. Returned it and bought another. That wouldn't come off so I bought six (all they had in the store) Tried them all until one came off then returned five of them. DJI needs to fix this. Customer service sucks so this is what you have to do to get the proper drone.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I too struggled to get my stock lens cover off of my P4, and after reading several threads about this issue, the best advice that I read was very counter intuitive, because the more I worked at it trying to get the lens off, the harder and more intensively I did so...all to no avail...

The trick that then worked for me was to apply as little pressure as possible to just the very edges of the lens with your thumb, index, and middle fingers - evenly spaced around the very edges of the lens - and while holding the camera steady with your other hand, gently rotate the lens until it 'pops' free. I laughed when it finally came free with so little effort, and I'm pretty sure that I heard the copter laughing back at me...

rubber band easy. Thanks to others on here who gave me the heads up, excellent help from a great bunch of people on this site

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik