Unpaved airports

Reaction score
What's the rules for flying around unpaved airports. Flew yesterday and got the warning and had to self authorize the flight.after opening the AirMap app the airports don't even have contact phone numbers.

You are supposed to be more vigilant in areas where you get that warning. There is no reporting requirement; just keep an eye peeled for aircraft. There are several near me that see little or no traffic but it is nice to be reminded. Know that if a pilot using those dirt strips/backyard airfields sees your drone from his a/c he will more than likely report it. When I do get traffic if they see me they see me descending until the coast is clear. Any attention I get from the Feds I can show that I was not breaking rules at the time and took prudent spacing action when the plane showed up. If my flights were regularly nearing the actual strip I would make it a point to chat up the owner/operator to let him/her know I'm in the area from time to time and that when I see his plane I will descend until he clears the flight space.

You are supposed to be more vigilant in areas where you get that warning. There is no reporting requirement; just keep an eye peeled for aircraft. There are several near me that see little or no traffic but it is nice to be reminded. Know that if a pilot using those dirt strips/backyard airfields sees your drone from his a/c he will more than likely report it. When I do get traffic if they see me they see me descending until the coast is clear. Any attention I get from the Feds I can show that I was not breaking rules at the time and took prudent spacing action when the plane showed up. If my flights were regularly nearing the actual strip I would make it a point to chat up the owner/operator to let him/her know I'm in the area from time to time and that when I see his plane I will descend until he clears the flight space.

I was below tree level most of the flight and it's very unlikely that the location I was at sees much air traffic. But yes I always watch for planes and helicopters.thanks for the info

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl