UNOFFICIAL Vision App for Android (Distance, Speed, etc) v11

Re: UNOFFICIAL Vision App for Android (Unlimited GS Distance

I'm attempting to download and install on my nexus 7 now. Its raining here as well so there is no chance of a test but hopefully tomorrow I can try it out. Thank you very much man.
And I second the question....how far/long can we fly and still return safely???
I know wind speed will have an affect but what is a safe mission?
Follow me and see if my math and thinking is correct. If we travel 20mph for 15minutes which I think our birds can handle continuous flight for that long. We would have a safe distance of 5 miles round trip...I understand the bird has to slow at each way point but we should be "safe" going out 2.5 miles and returning...Heres the math I did 20mph * 15min and then divided by 60 to get the distance...
so again if I am thinking correctly you could reverse engineer that as well...lets say you want to fly a distance of 3 miles round trip and want to know how long the trip would take. The math would be 3miles * 60 then divided by 20mph(an average top speed). The total trip would take 9 minutes of continuous flight...add 30seconds for each way point (overkill) and you have a safe way to "tell" if your flight is within the limits of your birds battery.... I hope this makes sense,lol...

That makes sense to me!

The thought of sending it out and hoping it comes back is both exciting and nerve wracking LOL.

I don't believe there is a function to land the phantom via the app is there? Would be neat if you know where you're going and comfortable having it land itself like it can in naza mode.

lsteigerwalt said:
how far/long can we fly and still return safely???
I know wind speed will have an affect but what is a safe mission?
Follow me and see if my math and thinking is correct. If we travel 20mph for 15minutes which I think our birds can handle continuous flight for that long. We would have a safe distance of 5 miles round trip...I understand the bird has to slow at each way point but we should be "safe" going out 2.5 miles and returning...Heres the math I did 20mph * 15min and then divided by 60 to get the distance...
so again if I am thinking correctly you could reverse engineer that as well...lets say you want to fly a distance of 3 miles round trip and want to know how long the trip would take. The math would be 3miles * 60 then divided by 20mph(an average top speed). The total trip would take 9 minutes of continuous flight...add 30seconds for each way point (overkill) and you have a safe way to "tell" if your flight is within the limits of your birds battery.... I hope this makes sense,lol...

You are correct in your math... and probly a bit conservative... which is a good thing...(i think the average top speed will be over 30 with the new update)

I would try 2 miles to be on the safe side... the less waypoints the better... then work your way out incrementally... pay attention to wind like you said... and theoretically this should be good for over 3.5 to 3.8 miles... on a good day with perfect wind conditions :ugeek:

ilovecoffee said:
The thought of sending it out and hoping it comes back is both exciting and nerve wracking LOL.

Another advantage of having these massive antennas... i know they're big and ugly but i'll have video link and the ability to dump the mission and fly it home if anything goes funky along the way... comforting feeling :ugeek:

ilovecoffee said:
That makes sense to me!

I don't believe there is a function to land the phantom via the app is there? Would be neat if you know where you're going and comfortable having it land itself like it can in naza mode.

Thanks man....one thing I did notice when I booted the app up, and it may have been cuz my phantom was off. I can place a waypoint anywhere but...if I attempt to move the waypoint it was jumping back to the 1600ft geofence enforced by DJI. Not sure if anyone else is having this issue. I can send my bird to work to check on things from the air and come home again ;) Sweet!!! And now those places that we couldn't reach via car and our transmitters wouldn't let us reach are accessible. Time to play in the swamp :lol:

lsteigerwalt said:
Thanks man....one thing I did notice when I booted the app up, and it may have been cuz my phantom was off. I can place a waypoint anywhere but...if I attempt to move the waypoint it was jumping back to the 1600ft geofence enforced by DJI. Not sure if anyone else is having this issue. I can send my bird to work to check on things from the air and come home again ;) Sweet!!! And now those places that we couldn't reach via car and our transmitters wouldn't let us reach are accessible. Time to play in the swamp :lol:

Interesting... Did you previously have it on? Is that why you could still place waypoints? You shouldn't be able to place any waypoints if it hasn't connected to the phantom.

I haven't encountered that but not sure if I tried to move a WP outside of the original geofence.. Will give that a try next time. Should be a simple fix if that's happening for everyone.

Ya I had the phantom on and forgot to cache the maps before I took it outside to aquire sats so I could enter the app and check the waypoints in the app...whenever I moved one outside the original geofence it jumped back to 1600ft....not a big issue if you just zoom in on the map you can place the waypoint pretty precisely anyway...one word of caution as we start to stretch our legs....vegetation grows faster than google takes new pics so be mindful of that guys. Anyone take their bird out with this mod yet?

DBS said:
ilovecoffee said:

Another advantage of having these massive antennas... i know they're big and ugly but i'll have video link and the ability to dump the mission and fly it home if anything goes funky along the way... comforting feeling :ugeek:

Thats my idea also.
Range on distance has to be what you are able to get from RC and FPV.
Its useless to send out on a auto mission and never get to experience it on FPV.
As someone wants distance and gets acquainted with mods and limits they also learn what to do and don't and what its capable of.
A auto mission beyond RC and FPV range is a what went true the mind of a Kamikaze and thus spells disaster lurking behind the corner.

I did a 6,300 linear foot waypoint flight outside of the original 1500 foot radius limit and it did perfectly fine (80% beyond LOS due to trees and I was only at 180 feet altitude)!!

This was at the NEW medium speed so it was done in 6 minutes and got back mission complete with 73% battery life still! I only did 7 way points as I was just testing the application.. tomorrow I'll go for greater distance away :)

Coffee, hats off man!.. I might just have to dust off my SDK tools and take a look at things more closely myself!

You've broken the radius fence and the speed limits, and that is almost where most people would want to be with this app!.. Ideally it would be nice to be able to put a heading at a waypoint and a duration (pause value) before continuing on to the next WP.. and of course, the holy grail would be to fly a circle around a POV (think a structure, and tell it to fly a 100 foot circle around it while keeping the camera on target)... that's a lot more than an app edit though :)

I'm looking forward to more flights this weekend! I could post a link to the video but it's not that interesting..

Coffee - fantastic work! I haven't even used it but I'm excited to - Now... Since I can't get my ancient android tablet to run the app., I have to seriously think about getting a Nexus 7 or something...

You probably already mentioned this, but any hope to have this as an iOS app as well?

srandall25 said:
You probably already mentioned this, but any hope to have this as an iOS app as well?
It would be nigh impossible to do, unless you had a jailbroken iOS device. But given that, his work modifies the Java-based code that runs Android apps.

iOS is Obj-C -- if we had someone skilled at that sort of thing, they could compare notes, but it still comes down to needing a jailbroken phone.

Morgon said:
srandall25 said:
It would be nigh impossible to do, unless you had a jailbroken iOS device. But given that, his work modifies the Java-based code that runs Android apps.

iOS is Obj-C -- if we had someone skilled at that sort of thing, they could compare notes, but it still comes down to needing a jailbroken phone.
it is possible to install apps not approved by apple on non-jailbroken iOS devices... the iRec app is one example... there is a thread in this forum on this as well...

I'm thinking I will next attempt to decrease the amount of time spent at each way point. I'd ideally prefer it to fly right through the way point, rather than come to a complete stop... Not sure if it's possible, might be a condition of speed and some kind of coordinate accuracy requirement that maybe I can widen.

Or maybe you could mod it so the waypoints are "rounded off" like the full version of GS does. Instead of going to the waypoint and making a stop and hard turn, the quad rounds off the hard turn. You might need to decompile the full version to see how they do it.

I did a 3200 foot waypoint(from homepoint) today and lost LOS and signal about half way. I couldn't believe how fast that sucker came back using the fast speed though, very cool.

Hi ILoveCoffee.
Amazing, well done.
What would be fantastic is if we could save the waypoints/flightpath. This is one of the best features of the PC Ground Station.
It is so cool to just load up the wayoints and hit go.

Hope you can do this.

Kitt

Secure Air 1 said:
Hi ILoveCoffee.
Amazing, well done.
What would be fantastic is if we could save the waypoints/flightpath. This is one of the best features of the PC Ground Station.
It is so cool to just load up the wayoints and hit go.

Hope you can do this.

Kitt

Perhaps the only solution would be to let you place waypoints in advance without being connected to the phantom. Not sure if this would break the functionality once connected and once it finds its home point. I don't see any opportunity to save them though. At least with my limited knowledge.

Pity.
I have clients who alert me when they have a possible security breach. With the PC Ground Station, I simply load the clients waypoint and hit go.
I am over the client's residence/business within 30 seconds.
Would be so cool if it could be done with the App.

Thanks for the amazingly quick response.

just curious... how much of this 'source code' is actually observable? Is it possible that one day we could have an open source application that works with the phantom flight controller? much like in the ardupilot / 3d robotics world?

srandall25 said:
just curious... how much of this 'source code' is actually observable? Is it possible that one day we could have an open source application that works with the phantom flight controller? much like in the ardupilot / 3d robotics world?

I don't think it's possible that anyone will release an open source communication package for the phantom. It would be a tremendous amount of work. Not everything is observable, but it's all editable if that makes sense. At least from the android app. I would like to see the firmware decompiled. That would likely allow us to change the max speed back to the previous firmware, while keeping GS app functionality.

There do seem to be a few references to "joystick" in the app but haven't had the time to figure that out, if it's a feature that's implemented but not enabled.

I've also noticed I can enable the photo button while recording is enabled (so you could take stills while shooting video) , but haven't tested that yet either (I'm going to guess it won't work but you never know).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic