Unlocking fly zones coming real soon?

Just checked the yellow areas near me (CZ) there is for example huge former military testing area which is closed by goverment law and does not exist legally over a year. It is now open to public. The whole yellow idea is nonsense and it won't bring the safety dji is talking about. All the other simpler drones wil be able to start anywhere.

Last year's "Phantom Slayer" was the Walkera Tali H500. Didn't exactly work out that way... Now an action camera company is going to slay DJI by releasing a first generation quadcopter? I sincerely doubt this. Meanwhile DJI is working on 4th gen Phantom & 3rd gen Inspire platforms.

I understand that. But manufacturers do not restrict their phones.
I have a feeling a lot of the people here will be switching to the GoPro Karma when it comes out in a couple months. Customer service will be better and there won't be any of these garbage onerous pain in the *** "unlocking" and "preplanning" requests. I had a little chat with Nick Woodman at CES.

The only reason people are sticking with DJI is Lightbridge. Well, guess what - GoPro is about to obliterate DJI when it comes to this.

About time! DJI is chopping off their own legs.

GoPro has a lot more weight behind them than anything that has challenged DJI up to this point. It is crazy to compare GoPro to a small Chinese company like "Walker" who can't even use proper English on their website. GoPro also leverages its Bay Area location and hires great programmers and engineers. You don't think GoPro knows what it is getting into and what it needs to release to compete? Apple comes late to the things but often implements them better.

Last edited:
I'm flying using the Beta firmwear live in Tucson,AZ and travel a lot through the Midwest and south. Currently only have used it in AZ. The Air force Base and Airports are clearly a yellow zone I'm sure soon to be red. I don't have an issue with these types of things.

Look, all one has to do is do a daily serarch on YouTube to see idiots making dangerous decisions and putting their craft potentially in harms way. Then it's easy to understand that these restrictions are needed.

I'll post more when I try to unlock a zone and such..

I understand that. But manufacturers do not restrict their phones.
I have a feeling a lot of the people here will be switching to the GoPro Karma when it comes out in a couple months. Customer service will be better and there won't be any of these garbage onerous pain in the *** "unlocking" and "preplanning" requests. I had a little chat with Nick Woodman at CES.

The only reason people are sticking with DJI is Lightbridge. Well, guess what - GoPro is about to obliterate DJI when it comes to this.

About time! DJI is chopping off their own legs.
GoPro with better customer support? You must be joking. And they can't even get camera firmware correct. I'd be hesitant to use any GoPro product that attempted to fly.

And I've been using GoPros since the Beginning.

Reactions: Dirty Bird
I love the competition as it ultimately makes all of the products better & less expensive. But GoPro isn't Apple. Go read the GoPro forums & you'll find plenty of horror stories from their camera customers. Combine that with a brand new 1st gen flying machine. We'll have & see what happens but I don't expect DJI to be seriously challenged anytime soon.

GoPro has a lot more weight behind them than anything that has challenged DJI up to this point. It is crazy to compare GoPro to a small Chinese company like "Walker" who can't even use proper English on their website. GoPro also leverages its Bay Area location and hires great programmers and engineers. You don't think GoPro knows what it is getting into and what it needs to release to compete? Apple comes late to the things but often implements them better.

What you are saying is precisely what was said when Apple decided to make a cellphone. Apple was MUCH smaller then. Remember Blackberry? Many don't now.

As mentioned earlier, if you look at a certain RCGroups discussion you will see DJI are publicly commenting, and explaing their reasoning. IMO what they are doing is to be applauded, it's only in BETA to work with users, it helps protect their business for sure but in return we are customers. We either put up and suggest real alternatives as law change across much of the world is coming whether we like it or not. Surely we are fortunate to be in a position where we have this technology.
I'd rather click a few times to accept responsibility than be forced by overpowering regulations set by governments that don't understand the hobby or business side that point blank ban so many areas.
So shoot me down, it's work in process for sure, but I am going to work with it, not against it.

Following thread
My entire area is yellow, I have to drive am hour to hey away from it

No. False. You have to have an Internet connection and pre authorize flight every 3 days. There will be no spontaneous flying. Good luck trying to spontaneously catch a sunset or sunrise.
Imagine if you are in a yellow zone which has spotty Internet or cell reception. You are **** out of luck.

Reactions: hot dog
You can consecutively apply, covering 90 days, just one application is what they're working on.
It'll be instant through the app and plus 24hrs through notification.

Oh. So you need to sit and apply over and over and over again to take off in your own backyard? Excellent! It's retarded and does absolutely nothing. It is poorly implemented and limits all spontaneity.
Imagine if you travel somewhere and decide to bring your drone with you. You are in a yellow zone but you have no cell reception. Can't fly.

And the yellow zones that are currently implemented are incredibly error prone and cover areas they shouldn't.

Please explain what you mean by "consecutively apply" over and over again so a user can fly in an area like their own backyard.
And also provide evidence of your 90 day claim.

You can consecutively apply, covering 90 days, just one application is what they're working on.
It'll be instant through the app and plus 24hrs through notification.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers