Unlocking fly zones coming real soon?

I agree, I've taken myself off to Vegas for a week to dry out!! Building of the arc will continue on the 18th.

When are you moving? We should all arrange to meet up.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Well it it because of all the idiots out there that are flying near airports etc. We are fooling ourselves to think the good ole days would never end. I am ok with this, it allows us to still fly. If they didn't do something and someone causes a plane to crash, it will be over.. Period! I know it is painful.

Wake up people it's not only because of idiots flying near airports because most phantoms won't even let you start it in no fly zones. It's because they have very little control of how u fly right now and they need to control everything. Instead of sitting on here and pouting about all these idiots when the time comes speak up about the regulations. Dji needs to sell these drones to stay in business and there going to do everything they can to make the big man happy and worry about there customers after. If it's in a beta stage it will definitely be here one day and I'm sure that's a agreement they have but will never mention that

o so i just got my Advanced it is telling me to upgrade the firmware on the quad i think i am on 1.4 something. Should i upgrade to 1.5 or 1.6?
Yes specially if u live in a cold climate. The update helps the battery's not fail.

Don't bother - seriously!
I think it is because the whole of Wales is a giant no fly zone anyway!
I haven't flown in 7 weeks!!! Swansea is the wettest city in Britain - now we have had 300% of our USUAL rainfall. How is it even possible to rain non stop for 7 weeks without everyone drowning?
Oh not forgetting the 70-80 mph winds. What is even more scary is we haven't had a single powercut or flood!!! Why scary? Well it just goes to show it is our normal bloody weather!!!

I think I've been grounded for about the same period, rain, wind and fog, it really sucks. All I seem to have done in that time is upgrade firmware and although I'm up to date with 1.5.003 and then 1.6.004 I really can't remember ever flying with either of them. I've got all the space I need, but nothing to put in it.

Never mind, snow next week could be fun.

I agree this is total overkill, a nuisance, & will prove ineffective. The older system utilized for the P2s seems much more effective, automatically prohibiting take off within close proximity to airports with automatic altitude limiting within the airport corridor. Under the new system virtually everywhere near me is within an authorization zone and, frankly, why do we need to reauthorize every "3 days?"

I find this a little hard to support, because I don't understand how this will improve safety. At least not proportional to all the efforts put into it.
As I understand, there will be no evaluation or check before you are authorized to fly. So in reality, it is still up to you to make the safety judgement before flying - just as before.

I am a pilot, so it is easy for me to check NOTAMs, classified airspace etc, but I guess most people dont have a clue. I am willing to bet most aren't checking anything at all - they just apply for the authorization. Actually that itself may impose a risk, as some may think that this authorization makes it safe to fly at places there really are dangers..

For most people some simple rules will be more efficient, and they will make the airspace safe.
  • Fly no closer than 5 km from an airport (regulation here in Norway).
  • Do not fly higher than 400 feet AGL. That should keep you separated from air traffic as minimum altitude for VFR traffic is 500 feet AGL.
  • Do not fly close to hospitals and other places with helipads for the emergency services.
  • Do not fly over prohibited areas like military bases, environmental protected areas and other airspace closed for security reasons.
The problem is that very wide areas are marked yellow, and that doesn't make sense to people. The result is lost respect and awareness for the real safety issues.
A large part of mountains and rural areas here in Norway is marked yellow. The reason is that the Air Force has assigned these areas for low flying training (min. 200 feet) I can assure - I've been walking and flying these mountains for 40 years, and I've never ever seen a low flying military aircraft. Besides, the airspace is class G, and open to all aircraft flying VFR without any reporting. A small aircraft can also be hard to see for a fighter low level at 500 kts, and imposes a bigger threat than a 5 lb quad. (After all the fighters are designed to survive a bird strike, but certainly not a C172 strike.) The chances of a quad/fighter encounter in this enormous areas may be one to a quadzillion. Birds, on the other hand - there are thousands upon thousands of 5 lb birds up there....

And the question is also whether the zones are properly updated. One large yellow zone I noticed used to be a shooting range for antiaircraft artillery. I know - I had my basic officers training there, and knew the no fly sector very well. The Air Force station is gone, closed and sold 20 years ago, and flowers are growing in the remains of the gun emplacements. They're beautiful, and I wish i could show you some nice aerial pics, but ...

Is overkill an appropriate word?

Sunny with a chance of stabbings and rockets.
Somewhat true. However with our experience and the way terrorism is spreading throughout the world I think Israel is actually safer than some parts of Europe.

Wish DJI would comment on these upcoming zones. But again they have never commented on anything,in the past. They never admitted anything about the other issues with their products when they are still cracking shells, drones falling out of the sky, fly always etc...wonder why would any new buyer out there would even consider their products if they knew about what's coming.
I only found out about these restrictions recently. Had I known before, I would have definitely not bought a p3 , three months ago.

In the video from the DJ I Representative he compares enforced no-fly zones with texting while driving. The governments want to force the no-fly zones on us through firmware and software in the app. He says why do they not do the same thing with cell phones. They have GPS and know when they are moving texting should be disabled. A fair comparison I think.

What about when you are a PASSENGER in the moving car? This is the problem with shortsighted solutions. It's like your built-in GPS navigation system not allowing you to look up a location while moving. What if the PASSENGER is entering the information. Blanket solutions are not an answer.

In the video from the DJ I Representative he compares enforced no-fly zones with texting while driving. The governments want to force the no-fly zones on us through firmware and software in the app. He says why do they not do the same thing with cell phones. They have GPS and know when they are moving texting should be disabled. A fair comparison I think.

Reactions: Wibble
What about when you are a PASSENGER in the moving car? This is the problem with shortsighted solutions. It's like your built-in GPS navigation system not allowing you to look up a location while moving. What if the PASSENGER is entering the information. Blanket solutions are not an answer.

Very true. The passenger would have to get authorization..Just like the Geo system.

Not sure what you guys are referring to. While not legal in many areas, one can text and drive. No phone prevents it.

Not sure what you guys are referring to. While not legal in many areas, one can text and drive. No phone prevents it.

No the phone does not but there are apps that will. All of our phones at my day job have this feature and you need admin rights to delete this app.

True but it came up in the course of the conversation & this idea has been presented by some lawmakers for implementation. I just see it as a silly, reactionary, short-sighted, over regulation.

I understand that. But manufacturers do not restrict their phones.
I have a feeling a lot of the people here will be switching to the GoPro Karma when it comes out in a couple months. Customer service will be better and there won't be any of these garbage onerous pain in the *** "unlocking" and "preplanning" requests. I had a little chat with Nick Woodman at CES.

The only reason people are sticking with DJI is Lightbridge. Well, guess what - GoPro is about to obliterate DJI when it comes to this.

About time! DJI is chopping off their own legs.

Lawmakers say ******** all the time. No way that will ever pass.

True but it came up in the course of the conversation & this idea has been presented by some lawmakers for implementation. I just see it as a silly, reactionary, short-sighted, over regulation.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj