United States airport rules?

Reaction score
I keep reading different things from different sources.

one says the FAA suggests that you contact an airport if you are flying within 5 miles of it
another says the FAA requires it.

I am hoping to fly my drone on Mackinac island in a couple weeks but it has a small airport on it.

If the topic is not specific to the P3, please post in the general forum. Thanks.

You can feel free to view the No Fly map on DJI's website for more info. I think within the orange are you get a warning but props will start. Within the red area I'm pretty sure the props won't start and the P3 will land.

I believe there is a 5 mile radius around medium to large airports in which you'd need permission to fly. There are several online maps that you can look at for this info.

ahh, thank you!

Do you know if the red circles are an accurate representation of the size of the no fly zone?

I am staying at the Grand so if this is accurate I should be able to launch from there.

Untitled_zpsis78cdem.jpg

but on the other hand its a small airport with small planes they might fly pretty low and it might not be a good idea to fly there regardless of if it is allowed or not.

You can feel free to view the No Fly map on DJI's website for more info. I think within the orange are you get a warning but props will start. Within the red area I'm pretty sure the props won't start and the P3 will land.

I believe there is a 5 mile radius around medium to large airports in which you'd need permission to fly. There are several online maps that you can look at for this info.

I think it would be considered a small airport

according to this it does not even have a control tower..

https://www.airnav.com/airport/KMCD

Which means you must notify the airport operator IF you are planning to fly within the 5 mi. radius easiest thing to do is stay away. Just give 'em a call.

When do you think would be best to call them? a couple hours beforehand?

I will certainly be within the 5 mile radius, the island isnt that big!

When do you think would be best to call them? a couple hours beforehand?

I will certainly be within the 5 mile radius, the island isnt that big!
A few days would be nice. I live within 3.7 miles from my airport. When I know the date and time I will fly I send the airport manager (airport is run by the city) an email with a date, a 2-hour window, the max. height of operations, the map coordinates of the public park I fly within and a jpg of the relevant aeronautical sectional chart with an x on the operation area. (free here click on CHARTS and on GREEN BAY along the top) . Here's my airport manager's standard reply to my emails:

"Thank you for the notification. Based on the flight parameters you have presented I do not have any concerns that your operations will interfere or present a safety concern from an airport stand point. "

And everybody's happy.( prefer emails so there's a written record.)

Reactions: BlackHawk388
I am in a similar situation where I am on the harry edge of the 5 mile radius. I called the tower and got a general ok as I fly in my local park several times a week. The dji app has a hard keep out at one and a half mile and a graduated elevation from there out to 400 feet. I keep to below 200ft where I am at just to be extra safe as I can easily enter the edge of the 5 mile radius.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in a similar situation where I am on the harry edge of the 5 mile radius. I called the tower and got a general ok as I fly in my local park several times a week. The dji app has a hard keep out at one mile and a graduated elevation from there out to 400 feet. I keep to below 200ft where I am at just to be extra safe as I can easily enter the edge of the 5 mile radius.
I figured out that 3 local airports were not included in the DJI app, I gave the info to DJI and they replied it would be included in the next software upgrade.

Reactions: redmoe
Hey Passive Jay,
Like Luis said, email is great for evidence, but I enjoy walking into the airport office and meeting face to face. My guess is you will learn that local traffic will be fairly predictable, except for the newbie who is sightseeing. There's always something to learn from a good ole conversation.

I've had great experiences with local airport managers, not many control towers here in Wyoming. In one case I found out about some of the other drone flyers, and in another I was told to come by the office and pick up a radio so I would know when an aircraft was in the area. Seems the local RC Club flies right from the airfield.

Good luck with however you go about making contact.
Hell of a place to fly. I look forward to seeing your video and/or pictures.

You can not rely on the DJI no-fly database if you want to see all U.S airports and their 5nm rings. They have a very small fraction of U.S. airports in that database.

Reactions: IflyinWY
You can not rely on the DJI no-fly database if you want to see all U.S airports and their 5nm rings. They have a very small fraction of U.S. airports in that database.

**** good point Skidz. :)

very true. None of the 3 closest airport to me where in the DB.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic