UnInitiated RTH and Return to Wrong Location

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 2 Vision+ running the most recent versions of Firmaware on evertyhing according to the Upgrade tab in Assistant.

The other day, I started a flight and flew until time to change my battery. I changed the battery and then launched the P2V+ again but this time, I took-off from a location that was about 20 feet from where I took off the first time on the first battery.

I flew until I got the Low Battery alert and then flew a little while longer and then the Phantom decided to RTH on its on and didn't alert me it was doing so on FPV. It just decided to fly on its on. The kicker is, I dont think I had the option set in the Vision App to RTH on LOW Battery. It did it on its own... and... It landed where I took off from the first time with the first battery. Not where I took off from with the Second Battery after I swapped batteries.

What is going on? Did the battery get so low that it decided to RTH on its own as a result of the battery so low and the only home it knew was where I took off from the first time?

This is scary because what if I was at a totally different location when I took off the second time and it decided to RTH and went to a home it marked a long time ago? Does the Home location not get erased when the battery is disconnected?

How can I make sure it marks Home correctly? I'm guessing I could check the locate my phantom option in the Phone app and see where it has me.

Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks in Advance for your Help

You should be able to get an idea of where the home point is by looking at the distance reading. If it says 0 or something small when your bird is on the home spot you think, then I would say you are good.

Better to know that home point is set rather than hoping it is.
You can set home point manually and confirm by flicking S2 five times after takeoff when you are hovering at a safe height. When you get the fast green you know home is set.

I had the same issue a few months ago. I flew in 1 location in the morning, went back to a different location in the afternoon which was about 200 yards away. In the afternoon flight, it initiated a RTH and was heading towards the morning home point. I posted that issue here and all the responses were to do with loosing my GPS signal as the cause. BUT, when I plotted the RTH course before I intercepted it and manually flew it to me, it was heading to the morning site. So, I gave up trying to figure it out, but I still think there is something going on with the phantom storing the home point in non-volatile memory somehow. All that being said, here is what I do now just to be sure. Immediately after taking off, I fly about 100 feet away, switch to home lock and kick the right lever in reverse. If it flies directly to the take off spot, then I know I am all set. By the way, although I think the Dynamic Home Point is a cool feature, I have had many weird things happen to me and I definitely traced them to using DHP. So I never use that nice, but troublesome feature. Maybe someday when DJI actually fixes their issues I will try to use it again.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20