Unfortunate event as Triathlete sustains head injuries from

Re: Unfortunate event as Triathlete sustains head injuries f

Could have been a metior or a part from missing flight 380. Wrong place wrong time. Scrap happens, even to "triathaleats".

What a shame.

The drone's owner was quoted as saying:

"We will be conducting a full investigation of what happened but it looks as though someone has hacked into our system"

Say what??

Perhaps that's the local expression for "Oh ****, I don't have any insurance!"

"New Era Photography and Film" sounds a lot like a business. Commercial use of a UAV requires a licence here. I wonder if they have one?

“We will be conducting a full investigation of what happened but it looks as though someone has hacked into our system,”

Human error is much more likely.

A fault or human error is indeed most likely... However there's software available that will poll for and AR drone device in range, and execute a kill process. That will cause it to drop from the sky....

This is the sort of stupid behaviour that will have drones banned in any populated areas, areas frequented by population, areas next to those areas etc..

Australia's Civil Aviation body is now investigating this accident

"The Australian Certified UAV Operators Association (ACUO) welcomes today’s confirmation by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) that it has launched a serious accident investigation into the circumstances surrounding the reported injuring of a female triathlete by an unmanned air vehicle (UAV) in Geraldton over the weekend."

“The very act of flying a UAV low over the head of members of the public is a direct breach of Part 101 of the Australian Civil Aviation Regulations which clearly mandates a minimum separation of 30 meters.”

Looks like it won't be long before the irresponsible element of the hobby will make us all suffer

Full link to story here http://www.suasnews.com/2014/04/28440/s ... -accident/

benski said:
“The very act of flying a UAV low over the head of members of the public is a direct breach of Part 101 of the Australian Civil Aviation Regulations which clearly mandates a minimum separation of 30 meters.”

What happens if your flying 30m ABOVE someones head and the motors quit?

My own opinion if you were flying 30m and above a group of people and the motor failed you could still be prosecuted for willfully putting persons at risk.

I think the main point is UAV operators (myself included) need to be a bit smart about where we operate in relation to other persons and in proximity to government facilities and the like.

There is no easier ammunition for legislators to use than putting forward arguments that UAV's pose a threat to the Health and Safety of constituents or they pose a national security threat.

It is just my observation that UAV incidents are starting to get more airtime in the last couple of weeks on a global scale. All the incidents would not have had the air time if it was just UAV crashed. The problem is UAV crashed into persons head, UAV crashed into government facility. It is the crashing into newsworthy items that are bringing us bad publicity as a group and as sure as the sun sets in the west we will soon move from a self policing environment to regulators policing our hobby. There will be no need to purchase aerials that give you 1500 ft distance because you will be locked up if your UAV can fly more than 40ft and carry a payload heavier than a pea...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31