Unexpected prompt to update homepoint

Reaction score
Yesterday while returning home from a long range test flight, I opted to select the RTH prompt on DJI Go screen, and was expecting the slider to execute the RTH. What I got instead was a prompt to update the homepoint to current position or keep the original position.

I did get an audio and screen confirmation of the homepoint being updated right after takeoff and I had at least 16 satellites throughout the flight.

Not really knowing if there was an issue, I decided to just fly it in myself. I'm not sure if I missed anything as up to that point I was mostly watching the aircraft and only glancing down at the screen to check altitude and distance.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Don

Sent from my SM-G935V using PhantomPilots mobile app

What I got instead was a prompt to update the homepoint to current position or keep the original position.

The home point will be automatically set after you turn on your Phantom and it establishes a GPS connection. The lights will blink green to indicate that the home point has been marked and as you mentioned it stated "home point updated" prior to take off.

Whatever the home point was set at (original) is the correct one - the "current" option is the location of the Phantom as shown with the "paper aeroplane" icon on your device.

You didn't mention how close the Phantom was to you when you initiated RTH - as a side note here, keep in mind if you are at or within 20m of the home point when RTH is initiated, the Phantom will land at it's current location (20m or so away from you).

Isn't updating the home point just updating to the current location of the RC if the tablet youre are using has GPS?

So is that normal behavior? In the past I don't recall getting that prompt, but I typically have used the RTH button on the Tx.

So is that normal behavior? In the past I don't recall getting that prompt, but I typically have used the RTH button on the Tx.

I think it is an option to do so. You don't have to, but when you use the app it gives you the choice in case you've moved a bit since launch.

Isn't updating the home point just updating to the current location of the RC if the tablet you're are using has GPS?

The RC doesn't have GPS however your our mobile device will also record a home position for you (if your device has GPS capability). If all is ok both the device and Phantom should be close to each other as to the location (home point). Sometimes the device and Phantom locations will show different for whatever reason and when you initiate RTH you will get the question as to "current" or "original" regarding home point.

Then you have two options to reset home point - either reset to the current location of the Phantom (as shown on the map) or reset to the location of the GGPS enabled device (where the controller is).- usually what happens is if your device GPS signal is weak you will get a message saying your device GPS signal is weak hence no location acquired.

You can rely on the "original" home point set by the Phantom -- or---- change the home point while flying or when you get the optional choice between "original" (set prior to flight) or "current" as to location of Phantom at that time----or---change the home point location while flying to the current location of the GPS enabled device you are using (this option is only available if the device has GPS)

Just keep in mind "original" is relative to whatever the home point was set with - Phantom or GPS enabled device.

This is why the following is so important.................

Before take off with your Phantom you should hear the audible 'Your home position has been recorded, please check it on the map'! as a prompt to verify you concur with the accuracy of the recorded point. You should be confirming the audible to the visual (location on the map) prior to take off. Your Phantom should be showing in the correct location on the map since that is what she uses to find home if ever signal is lost with the controller (providing your home point was established via the Phantom) or RTH is initiated.

The RC doesn't have GPS however your our mobile device will also record a home position for you (if your device has GPS capability). If all is ok both the device and Phantom should be close to each other as to the location (home point). Sometimes the device and Phantom locations will show different for whatever reason and when you initiate RTH you will get the question as to "current" or "original" regarding home point.

Then you have two options to reset home point - either reset to the current location of the Phantom (as shown on the map) or reset to the location of the GGPS enabled device (where the controller is).- usually what happens is if your device GPS signal is weak you will get a message saying your device GPS signal is weak hence no location acquired.

You can rely on the "original" home point set by the Phantom -- or---- change the home point while flying or when you get the optional choice between "original" (set prior to flight) or "current" as to location of Phantom at that time----or---change the home point location while flying to the current location of the GPS enabled device you are using (this option is only available if the device has GPS)

Just keep in mind "original" is relative to whatever the home point was set with - Phantom or GPS enabled device.

This is why the following is so important.................

Before take off with your Phantom you should hear the audible 'Your home position has been recorded, please check it on the map'! as a prompt to verify you concur with the accuracy of the recorded point. You should be confirming the audible to the visual (location on the map) prior to take off. Your Phantom should be showing in the correct location on the map since that is what she uses to find home if ever signal is lost with the controller (providing your home point was established via the Phantom) or RTH is initiated.

Great post. Thanks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl