Unexpected landing

Reaction score
I bought 2 used phantom2 batteries. Both have 7 flights on them, all cells are even.97% life left, these one have square contacts so it's newer stock
Flight with battery#1 at 31% red lights flashing and phantom started auto landing
Flight with battery#2. Same thing happened at 37%
After it landed lights were green again and I was able to take off again
I fly in Canada and the temperature was -11 Celsius
Can this be happening due to cold weather?

forenplayer said:
I bought 2 used phantom2 batteries. Both have 7 flights on them, all cells are even.97% life left, these one have square contacts so it's newer stock
Flight with battery#1 at 31% red lights flashing and phantom started auto landing
Flight with battery#2. Same thing happened at 37%
After it landed lights were green again and I was able to take off again
I fly in Canada and the temperature was -11 Celsius
Can this be happening due to cold weather?

The quick answer is yes. Batteries operate differently in extreme cold and heat. It could very well be that the voltage drops and causes the Phantom to go into failsafe earlier than it would in a warmer temp... Here's an article:

http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthings ... attery.htm

sounds like a possible solution is to keep the as close to room temp as possible up until the point you fly them (like an inside pocket of your jacket) - My assumption would be because discharge of the batteries actually causes them to warm up - if you can avoid letting them cool down to the air temp before you fly - you might get a little more flight time.

Also, once a battery with a low charge sits unused for awhile, they develop a bit more power.

The temperature issue and the remedy was dead on.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20