Understanding turns

Reaction score
While it's windy and cold, I'm trying to get a mental grasp of how to turn the Phantom 2. I've been reading about banked turns vs. rudder only turns, and am more confused then when I started. I assume with banked turns, the camera would always be facing forward, in the direction of the turn? And the banked turn would be done by some coordination of the yaw and roll? And how would that differ from the rudder turn?

Hi Duceno1 and welcome to the forum :)

you move forward using the right stick and then yaw (turn the whole unit round to the left or right) with the left stick, gentle yaw =gentle turn, sharp yaw = sharp turn.

Ive been playing with my phantom since this morning and im getting reasonably good at turns.

not sure if your confusing quads with planes or helicoptors, the mechanics are slightly different.

mendezl said:
simply move both sticks in the same direction that you want to turn. If you want to turn left, move both control sticks left at same time.

never done that, usually just turned going forward and rotating the body, im out tomorrow hopefully so will try that.

Right stick just point forward, then use the left yaw stick small increments and practice figure of 8 turns. Good exercise I love doing. Work well to practice turns in bit directions.

I think what you're referring to is a balanced turn vs just yawing. While the practice varies slightly from fixed wing flight, the principle is the same. In a balanced turn you use a similar amount of rudder(yaw) combined with bank(ailerons) in the same direction to turn. With a drone, it's doesn't really matter how you turn as long as you have space. If you need to complete a turn in a tighter space at speed, a banked turn will give a smaller radius for the turn.

This covers the principle http://www.experimentalaircraft.info/ar ... icator.php

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic