Understanding NAZA... with a question...

Reaction score
I'm new with this but wondering if there's any downside to going into NAZA mode as long as I leave the S1 & S2 switches in their upright positions? Is that the same thing as using the Vision mode?

It seems like it would be useful (and helpful) to use the Home or Course lock sometimes with the flick of a switch... so I'm tempted to go into NAZA mode to have that option. But does it offer any other disadvantage or advantage? Why is it considered another "mode" as opposed to have just a check box for allowing the IOC (home / course lock)?

Is NAZA a different computer chip than the Vision mode? If so, is it faster or better in anyway?

Just trying to understand... thanks for any feedback.

Having flown it today I can confirm that with all switches up you won't notice a difference compared to Vision standard GPS mode. What has proven useful to me is the ability to flick between GPS and attitude mode. Attitude mode is a lot smoother for filming, providing you are happy with, and keep an eye on, wind drift.

I let it drift with the wind in atti mode for a smooth tracking shot, then with a quick flick up on S1 she held station perfectly. I didn't change any parameters, just changed into NAZA mode with the Assistant and she flew very nicely. See the Personal Videos thread for my video and I did a write up of the flight in a separate thread.

thanks for both replies. But i'm trying to understand if this uses a different computer chip? Or is it just a simple "mode"? For example... why didn't they just have a checkbox to turn the S1 & S2 switches on / off instead of calling it another "MODE"? what am i missing?

I think they basically wanted the Vision to work for most people new to RC out of the box and be able to hold station hands off for taking video and stills. The Vision has a Naza V2 in it, just from the factory it's limited to a subset of its features. By selecting NAZA mode you are able to access further features and deselect the default GPS mode if you wish (as well as unlock some of the other Naza features like IOC, add RTH as a selectable, etc).

Remember the DJI target market for the Vision would be people who want to simply charge, fly and record - hence the default settings limiting access to the full Naza feature set. The only disadvantage I can see to changing to Naza is being setting your switches into something other than GPS mode and getting confused, or being able to set fully manual mode as a switch setting and crashing and burning the first time you try and fly with nothing but basic gyro stabilization!

I agree 100% with Pullup. The NAZA V2 is a standard controller that can be used in other quad and hex copters and has other features that still are not implemented for the Vision, but some are not needed.

To me having the extra modes available would make it safer to fly as long as you are aware of what they do and when to use them. The fail safe switch implements a RTH mode without shutting off the transmitter. If the transmitter is shut off the Wi-Fi disconnects and if near a previously use Wi-Fi it will connect to that causing you to lose all flight data and camera picture from the Vision and make it necessary to reconnect to the Vision Wi-Fi at a time that you may already be in a panic situation and trying to concentrate on that. If you get disoriented when the Vision is a distance away IOC home lock could save your Vision.

The only disadvantage I can see is if you forgot to put the switches in the correct position or accidentally hit one to the wrong position, but you would probably realize that and immediately switch it back.

It would have been nice if the transmitter came with the correct labels silkscreened on it for the switch positions, they did have them marked s1 and s2 so it would not have added any production cost to the transmitter. I added my own labels to the switches to eliminate one possible cause for confusion.

AHill said:
I agree 100% with Pullup. The NAZA V2 is a standard controller that can be used in other quad and hex copters and has other features that still are not implemented for the Vision, but some are not needed.

To me having the extra modes available would make it safer to fly as long as you are aware of what they do and when to use them. The fail safe switch implements a RTH mode without shutting off the transmitter. If the transmitter is shut off the Wi-Fi disconnects and if near a previously use Wi-Fi it will connect to that causing you to lose all flight data and camera picture from the Vision and make it necessary to reconnect to the Vision Wi-Fi at a time that you may already be in a panic situation and trying to concentrate on that. If you get disoriented when the Vision is a distance away IOC home lock could save your Vision.

The only disadvantage I can see is if you forgot to put the switches in the correct position or accidentally hit one to the wrong position, but you would probably realize that and immediately switch it back.

It would have been nice if the transmitter came with the correct labels silkscreened on it for the switch positions, they did have them marked s1 and s2 so it would not have added any production cost to the transmitter. I added my own labels to the switches to eliminate one possible cause for confusion.

thanks. but are you saying the NAZA Controller is a separate computer chip separate from the Vision controller or is it just different software... or is it just a different "mode" within the software?

The NAZA controller is what is controlling the Vision in both modes. The only difference is in NAZA mode more built-in features are implemented. If you go to DJI website they have information on the NAZA V2 controller.

race3 said:
thanks. but are you saying the NAZA Controller is a separate computer chip separate from the Vision controller or is it just different software... or is it just a different "mode" within the software?

The Vision has a NAZA brand flight controller (hardware) inside it. By software, its functions are limited when in what they call "Vision" mode - this is the default. If you wish, you can change the software settings to allow the controller (hardware) to perform more functions - NAZA mode.

One lump of electronics, two different software selectable feature sets.

Great thread. I had the same questions basically minus the hang up on the hardware. Thanks for clarifying a bit guys. You said what I "thought" it would do but wasn't positive. I wanted more options and the ability to switch from GPS to Atti and switch to come home mode etc. I really like the idea of labeling the switches. Im going to do that for sure. Thanks again.

JAmes

I find the "home" mode under Naza is helpful if it gets too far away and I can't see which way it is facing. I can click the left toggle to home mode and just pull back on the right stick until it gets close enough to see and then switch it back to GPS (or atti) mode.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers