Understanding Battery Temps...

Reaction score
Hello Guys...

Just wanted to enquire what battery temps are generally accepted to start a safe flight? 10 C is fine ? or should I warm the batteries but to what temperature in order for them to deliver the full amount of power that is need straight away...

Sorry I only use Centigrades... Fahrenheit makes no sense to me nor should make sense to anyone.

Thanks!
JC

Hello Guys...

Just wanted to enquire what battery temps are generally accepted to start a safe flight? 10 C is fine ? or should I warm the batteries but to what temperature in order for them to deliver the full amount of power that is need straight away...

Sorry I only use Centigrades... Fahrenheit makes no sense to me nor should make sense to anyone.

Thanks!
JC
10 C is good I wouldn't use any lower, although I am not a expert on this as I live in the Southwest.

Battery is good to fly from -10*C~40*C according to the new specs.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Reactions: bobmyers
Battery is good to fly from -15*C~40*C according to the new specs.

RedHotPoker
Thats the outside air temperature you're talking about...

The question is about the actual battery temperature I believe. I always look at mine before take off and it tends to be mostly between 15c - 20c, but not sure what would be the minimum recommended level to undertake a flight.

Lipo works better from 0° to 40°, 50° is not a problem, at 60° it is real the limit (at 75° a cell melts). Note that the temp sensor is not placed inside lipo substrate, so it depends how DJI battery senses the temperature and it this can be 5%-10% less than real.
At high temp > 60°C (but same happens < -20°) lipo sheets can be damaged, but, worst, the impedance between heavy load (motors) and current source lipo sheets get higher, rising temp in a dangerous escalation. In this case the battery auto-shutdown and P3 fall down from the sky.

So is it safe to say 5°- 35° is ideal batt temp to start with? current supply will be the same?

So is it safe to say 5°- 35° is ideal batt temp to start with? current supply will be the same?

Yes, don't worry. Simply check time to time during flight, battery temp and cell voltage.

DJI has a few good threads on this topic in their forum. See this one and this one.

Thats the outside air temperature you're talking about...

The question is about the actual battery temperature I believe. I always look at mine before take off and it tends to be mostly between 15c - 20c, but not sure what would be the minimum recommended level to undertake a flight.
Yeah, I'm sorry that should have been:
Operating Temperature -10°C to 40°C
No we are discussing actual battery temps. Not its ambient exterior.

RedHotPoker

"Hover the aircraft for about a minute to allow the battery to warm up. ", that's very important to do when outside temp is < 5°.

DJI has a few good threads on this topic in their forum. See this one and this one.
These are good references. DJI really sums it up well in their guidelines. Running with cold batteries could be a precursor to a crash. Some of the folks on the forum have flown when below zero, but they keep the batteries warm before flying. Then when they start to discharge when flying, they generate their own heat. I've seen my own batteries swing to 30+ degrees warmer than start temperature on hot days, more like 20+ on cooler days. DJI recommends 0-30C. This must be the battery temperature, not the outside ambient temperature.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic