Underbody LED Specs

Reaction score
Does anyone know the specs for the red/green underbody LED's? I'm travelling this week, and wanted to order some replacements (different colors) before the weekend - didn't have time to take it apart before I left.

Leds are part of ESC (Electronic Speed Controller), so you have to buy it and they don't have other colors.

Interesting... guess I expected those to be little separate boards under the frosted housings. Still, I'm not afraid of some electronics surgery - they're getting swapped one way or another.

They are SMD LEDs so if you can get the same specs in different color and you have the tools to work with SMDs, then I think you can change them out.

Found this photo on the web -

null_zpsdcd13d20.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is possible, but you need quality equipment and a very steady hand!

My question is why? If you want a port/starboard set up, just swap the ESCs around. If your hell bent on changing the colour, why not look at replacing the ESC (with better ones???) and just use/ make up your own LEDs (or 12v automotive LEDs) to colour the arms? Connect the power for the LEDs to the same connection on the board as the ESC.

The wire length is different for the red esc and green esc. You're pretty much stuck wherever they are.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Driffill said:
It is possible, but you need quality equipment and a very steady hand!

My question is why? If you want a port/starboard set up, just swap the ESCs around. If your hell bent on changing the colour, why not look at replacing the ESC (with better ones???) and just use/ make up your own LEDs (or 12v automotive LEDs) to colour the arms? Connect the power for the LEDs to the same connection on the board as the ESC.

Luckily, I have the tools and knowledge for circuit board surgery... not scared of that part. The "why" is this... I'm red/green colorblind. The lights are pretty, but really don't offer me much navigational assistance. Swapping one set to white or blue would me a huge difference for me.

I've also convinced a couple friends to order Phantoms as well - be nice to have mine a little different.

BTW - natscape, thanks for the pic!

Reactions: Whorls
Luckily, I have the tools and knowledge for circuit board surgery... not scared of that part. The "why" is this... I'm red/green colorblind. The lights are pretty, but really don't offer me much navigational assistance. Swapping one set to white or blue would me a huge difference for me.

I've also convinced a couple friends to order Phantoms as well - be nice to have mine a little different

That sounds like an awesome project. Definitely share some pics, when you can.

That's fair enough, I was just wondering if it was purely for "looks".

I'm the type of person who would do it for looks alone, and because one or two people would tell me its not possible lol.

Have a look at the LEDs used on this item on eBay 281129538511. They look very similar to the ones on the ESC.

The only other issue I see is some led colours use a different voltage to other led colours. Red and yellows are around 3.4v and blue, green, whites and a few other are 2.5v or so.

You could swap to blue and yellow? Greens to blue (as in eBay link) and reds to yellow. I'll keep searching and see if I can't find you some bare LEDs to use.

Driffill said:
That's fair enough, I was just wondering if it was purely for "looks".

I'm the type of person who would do it for looks alone, and because one or two people would tell me its not possible lol.

Have a look at the LEDs used on this item on eBay 281129538511. They look very similar to the ones on the ESC.

The only other issue I see is some led colours use a different voltage to other led colours. Red and yellows are around 3.4v and blue, green, whites and a few other are 2.5v or so.

You could swap to blue and yellow? Greens to blue (as in eBay link) and reds to yellow. I'll keep searching and see if I can't find you some bare LEDs to use.

Well, it's for looks, too... heh.

That's an awesome idea, the auto parts stores around here have tons of those LED bulbs... cheap. I'm back home this week, will have to break it down and see what things look like. Definitely interested to see what the voltages on the different colors meter at.

I was searching for the same info that you were, and then I just took a multimeter to the phantom. The Green ESCs have the voltage at 3.2 volts per LED, so you could use blue or white for that same LED without needing a resistor. The Red ESCs use 2.9 volts, so you could swap it with yellow or orange. I bought Blue PLCC 6 5050 LEDs off of ebay, and they work perfectly. I'll post pictures if you want.

I was searching for the same info that you were, and then I just took a multimeter to the phantom. The Green ESCs have the voltage at 3.2 volts per LED, so you could use blue or white for that same LED without needing a resistor. The Red ESCs use 2.9 volts, so you could swap it with yellow or orange. I bought Blue PLCC 6 5050 LEDs off of ebay, and they work perfectly. I'll post pictures if you want.

Yes, definitely post some pictures. I think it's great ! now all you have to do is introduce some kind of sequencer. :D

Anyone capable of swapping out the surface mount LEDs can probably handle lengthening (or shortening) some wires.

Steve

cbpagent72 said:
The wire length is different for the red esc and green esc. You're pretty much stuck wherever they are.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

I don't want to go red side/green side with mine but I would love to be able to swap the red and green front to back.

My brain just can't wrap around red not being the tail lights.

Is there any reasonable way to do that without soldering, cutting or adding wire?

What are the differences of the red left and red right and green left and green right? So the boards are each different?

Can. Red ESC be CCW and CW?

What are the differences of the red left and red right and green left and green right? So the boards are each different?

Can. Red ESC be CCW and CW?

No, only from the factory, one of the leads that goes to the Naza M-1 ---M-4 inputs is a little bit longer.

If you can solder and heat shrink 2 pieces of wire to extend one lead, you can change them any way you like.

They are all capable of being CW or CCW just depending on how you connect your motor. If you connect the motor
and it spins the wrong way, just change "any" two wires and it will reverse rotation.

It is by spending time under the hood of your Phantom, that you will learn how everything works together. And if you
see something you don't like. Change it !

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj