Under the lights video

Reaction score
Good morning,

I am about to do a small project for a local race track. My question is what is the best video setting for "under the lights" racing at a asphalt race track

Please HELP !!

Go to the settings on the DJI app and open up everything as much as it will go you will need it all

I guess I should have been more specific. I know how to change all the settings but what actual settings should I be using.

Best advice I have for ya is to go to a super walmart at night since they have lighted parking lots...and shoot little 60sec clips using different setting paying attention to the lighting on the cars and detail not the lights. Since you can change settings on the fly there is no need to land to change anything. Should be able to figure it out in one flight. Dont worry about what you see on the monitor cuz that isnt truly what the end video will see. Keep a journal and jotting it all down...then go back and watch the footage on the pc and television to see which one yeilds the best results. Good luck...hope it helps.

lsteigerwalt said:
Best advice I have for ya is to go to a super walmart at night since they have lighted parking lots...and shoot little 60sec clips using different setting paying attention to the lighting on the cars and detail not the lights. Since you can change settings on the fly there is no need to land to change anything. Should be able to figure it out in one flight. Dont worry about what you see on the monitor cuz that isnt truly what the end video will see. Keep a journal and jotting it all down...then go back and watch the footage on the pc and television to see which one yeilds the best results. Good luck...hope it helps.
This is excellent advice but just sitting down anywhere and linking up to your phone and trying each setting in order will show a different exposure. Just keep adding the exposure setting the spot setting and even the frame size setting (try 640) and wherever you are the picture will get brighter and brighter. When you reach the point when the picture on your phone is just as bright as it can be then this is your setting. As you go higher you will need every piece of available light you can get. I used any early phantom with a Go Pro to film a train leaving a station and I used every bit of exposure I could get (which is more than the present Phantom 2 camera) I was only about 100 feet or so up and although you could see the train and the lit carriages there was very litttle detail.

How much light is in your dining room? How much is in mine? You next-door neighbors? Your boss's? Your doctors?

There's no way we can know what settings to use because we don't know how much light is going to be available.

There is NO one, single "Here's how much light EVERY venue of this type will provide" answer. Each venue is different. Not only for the amount of light, but also the color temperature.

Here is the train video or a bit of it. The Go Pro is open as wide as it could go with every bit of gain possible. This is the result it may help a bit but is probably not what you are looking for. There is a chap here from Maryland who shot some fireworks which are excellent but very little detail in the dark places, the ones which are illuminated by the availabe light. He could probably say what the picture was like a lot nearer to the take off point. https://vimeo.com/102332277 . Good luck.

When you say underlights, i assume its like when F1 races are held underlights. If i recall, its very well lit.

1080p @ 25fps is the lowest shutter speed. Slower shutter speed will capture more light.
Try it on your FPV/Phone screen. If you change 720@60fps its darker, change and 1080p@25fps and it becomes brighter.
Also lock in 100/200 ISO (higher number will capture better but will be more grainier). Lock in CLOUD for white balance. These settings will minimise the purple/yellow random tinge in the vids. And average metering will help the change in colour.
If you cant enough light, adjust to positive exposure.

If you are uncerntain, take the tips from the guys and take it a bright light parking lot and test each setting.

Post up your results and note the setting you had.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1