Under the Hood - Production Model

Reaction score
I decided to take my Phantom 3 Pro apart today to see how she ticks. Given that I'll need to do this for the Flytrex Live I've ordered, I thought I'd give it a go now. I may have voided my warranty, but to be honest I can't see how they would know if the lid has been removed... (except for a few very minor dents because those clips holding the lid on are a bloody pain in the ***!)

Anyway, onto the pictures (those pics that look upside down were taken with the Phantom on its side, looking down from above):

thumb_IMG_3521_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_3516_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_3515_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_3514_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_3510_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_3509_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_3508_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_3507_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_3505_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_3504_1024.jpg

Last edited:
That SD card under the motherboard won't pop out because the metal slider holding it in place is itself held in place with glue.

I couldn't take the whole motherboard out either because those LED circuit boards are stuck in place - looks like they melted the plastic protrusion they were mounted on to hold it in place.

The side arm clips can be popped off by poking a small object through the vents and pushing the plastic retainer off the clip.

The central clips were really difficult to remove though, hence using a ruler to pry them apart. Here are some more pics showing the clips in detail.

thumb_IMG_3539_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_3537_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_3536_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_3535_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_3513_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_3512_1024.jpg

Last edited:
WOW you have gone from wondering about that memory card to stripping her back. You went for it :D good man. Cheers for the pics.

WOW you have gone from wondering about that memory card to stripping her back. You went for it :D good man. Cheers for the pics.
heh thanks, I had hoped to look at the SD card contents, but it's fully glued in there. If I were to take all the LED boards out and motors off it may be possible, but I wasn't willing to go that far! :)

Key thing is, she still flies after all that!

If I recall correctly with reference to Mohan's pre-production photos...
The production P3 LED modules have wires instead of flex circuits and the motor wires seem much better strain relieved at the main PCB with slots and adequate adhesive/sealer.

heh thanks, I had hoped to look at the SD card contents, but it's fully glued in there. If I were to take all the LED boards out and motors off it may be possible, but I wasn't willing to go that far! :)

Key thing is, she still flies after all that!

Don't bother. You can see all contents of the sdcard when you connect the craft to a computer and put it in flight data mode.

I decided to take my Phantom 3 Pro apart today to see how she ticks. Given that I'll need to do this for the Flytrex Live I've ordered, I thought I'd give it a go now. I may have voided my warranty, but to be honest I can't see how they would know if the lid has been removed... (except for a few very minor dents because those clips holding the lid on are a bloody pain in the ***!)

Anyway, onto the pictures (those pics that look upside down were taken with the Phantom on its side, looking down from above):

View attachment 19126 View attachment 19127 View attachment 19128 View attachment 19129 View attachment 19130 View attachment 19131 View attachment 19132 View attachment 19133 View attachment 19134 View attachment 19135

How exactly does the Flytrex device hook up its power source to the Phantom?

Im sure plenty will be going back to mohans post now and saving pics and comparing them that's for sure. allemtura i think your maybe the first to post pics from under the hood on a production model. It was Interesting to hear your observations on them NOR17RW,

wow - thanks. I have been too busy flying... this is good stuff

Revision on board is ending 07 (my model was 06)

Don't bother. You can see all contents of the sdcard when you connect the craft to a computer and put it in flight data mode.
Thanks for the tip! How do you put it in flight data mode please? Will it just appear like a USB drive in this mode?

Is there still a GPS antenna mounted to the top of the shell or is it all in the big black cube?

I think it will be via the CANBUS port (or P3 equivalent) as the P2V+ CANBUS version didn't need you to solder wires to a power source

It's the "or equivalent" part that I'm trying to figure out. Will Flytrex REQUIRE everyone who purchases it to crack the hood of their Phantoms and possibly void all their warranties?

Is there still a GPS antenna mounted to the top of the shell or is it all in the big black cube?
GPS antenna is indeed still mounted to the top of the shell, with a cable that then connects to the motherboard. It seems that out of the many photos I took, not one of them shows this! :)

Reactions: ctp
It's the "or equivalent" part that I'm trying to figure out. Will Flytrex REQUIRE everyone who purchases it to crack the hood of their Phantoms and possibly void all their warranties?
It was the same with all prior versions. Not sure why popping the hood wouldn't be required ever... You need power and a "data" connection, not like you can splice the battery pins and expect GPS data...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen