Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Uncontrolled Fly-Away--GoPro with Wifi?

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by Flying Cephlopod, May 12, 2014.

1. Flying Cephlopod

I haven't been able to find matching topics, nor have seen any videos that specifically mentioned interference from a wifi-enabled GoPro, but the following warning is in the description of BH Photo's DJI Phantom 2 Quadcopter with Zenmuse H3-3D 3-Axis Gimbal at:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... _with.html

When I read about other people's Fly-Away problems, they seem to be at loss as to why if occurred. Could a wifi-enabled GoPro be the cause?

It's a concern because sometimes the wifi (blue lights) on my GoPro 3 and 3+Black Edition cameras intermittently turn on when I turn on the camera--even though my fingers did not come close to the button to turn on wifi. Anyone have this problem?

2. thongbong

Yes, GoPro with WiFi on plus Phantom is Murphey's law waiting to happen. Do a google search and you'll see plenty of flyaways attributed to this.

3. QYV

QYV

I've only been flying my Phantom (2) for about a month and I very clearly remember at every stage of the process from research, purchase, reading documentation, and plastered ALL OVER this forum were warnings about not flying a Phantom 2 with gopro with it's wifi enabled.

I use the gopro's wifi and the iPad app to quickly change camera settings all the time, but you should always always always triple check that the wifi is off before you spin up the propellers

4. dragonash

I believe the FC40 and the Visions are the exceptions to those rules since they work on the 5.8ghz frequency, correct?

5. QYV

QYV

I don't own a FC40 or Vision series but according to everything I've read on this site you are correct. those models already have 5.8ghz RC's.

6. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

No one knows for certain what caused their fly away unless they can record a datalog of events from the FC. But, GoPro WiFi being left on is up there on the list of top causes.

I've never seen a GoPro turn it's WiFi on by itself. I have 2 GoPro 3+ blacks. Upgrade the firmware.

P2V and FC40 are 5.8GHz systems and totally different.