Uncontrolled descent

Reaction score
Hello All.

I was flying earlier today and things were normal. The Drone was hovering about 400 feet away and about 200 feet up. Then without any input from me, it began to drift and descend.
I gave controller inputs for full "Up" but it didn't help. The drone descended and dropped out of sight below some houses on the horizon.

I was able to find the drone in a neighbors back yard with the motors still running, thank goodness, but I still can't account for why this happened. Battery was still half full and I was attempting to bring it back for a landing.

I was recording video when this happened, but I can't get the .MP4 file to open... (Girrr...)

Any ideas or suggestions for what I should do next?

Thank you in advance.
Q~

Sounds like it went into autoland.

Did you launch with a fully charged battery? Or was it only partially charged at launch?

Mine did that at 27% battery last week. If your battery is old, it may behave oddly.

I don't think so. Thr battery was still above 50% and the controler said I had 11 minutes left. Maybe the battery needs to be checked.
Does anyone here know how tonget and interpret the flight log?
Q~

I agree with Markmnd. Sounds exactly like autoland. Especially since you found it sitting with the motors running! I have also read that in some cases, (I think with a certain firmware) your phantom can and will auto land if you fly into a "no fly zone" or restricted area. Not sure if that is your case.

I'm glad it didn't auto land on someone's head! :)

I had a battery once that seemed fine until you gave it full power in any direction - it just slowly sank to the ground and landed/bounced, even with full throttle and 92% battery, was definately a battery fault as they replaced it and it never happened again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Great_Lakes
Hello All.

I was flying earlier today and things were normal. The Drone was hovering about 400 feet away and about 200 feet up. Then without any input from me, it began to drift and descend.
I gave controller inputs for full "Up" but it didn't help. The drone descended and dropped out of sight below some houses on the horizon.

I was able to find the drone in a neighbors back yard with the motors still running, thank goodness, but I still can't account for why this happened. Battery was still half full and I was attempting to bring it back for a landing.

I was recording video when this happened, but I can't get the .MP4 file to open... (Girrr...)

Any ideas or suggestions for what I should do next?

Thank you in advance.
Q~
Upload the file to healthy drones to check flight data.
Check battery health by holding down button for 5 seconds and see how many LEDs light up.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20