Uncontrolled descent... two crashes

drjay32 said:
dragonash said:
I just posted this over the weekend.

FC40 owner.
Same thing happened. Luckily it landed into the bushes. No damage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3FqlN6AlE0

Dragonash- What firmware version?

i dont have my quad next to me (at work ;p ), but I believe it has been fully updated out of the box. So whatever the latest update is for the FC40 - I do remember seeing in the naza assistant that there are no new updates.

Sorry I cant be more detailed at this moment.

FYI, I've had 2 similar incidents with an uncontrolled descent.

Once while 150 ft up, the motors started to oscillate and the craft started to tilt side to side and front to back. It crashed into a bush and only the props tore up some branches. The camera was on video, but it stopped recording at the beginning of the descent.

The second time was at 450+ft altitude. It again started to oscillate while taking great video of the Dakota Ridge. I tried everything to regain control, but it just fell (although somewhat slowly) wildly gyrating back and forth, and making all sorts of noise (like trying compensate for wind). The video stopped (so I found out later) before it started the descent. It landed tilted and the battery popped out. Only a broken prop guard spar. After doing a reset on camera, compass, etc., and a new battery it flew fine. I have not been up to 450ft though. I suspect it could be the battery contacts because I have lost video on both occasions.

Pete

So sad that this is my first post here - but my Phantom 2 Vision is already destroyed due to this issue.

My Phantom:
- Firmware is the last version before 3.x release - updated after initial purchase on late March.
- Fled the Phantom about 10-15 times, without issue, sometimes went over about 600ft above the controller (and took some great pictures)
- Installed DJI guards

The crash case on this Monday:
- Weather: Hot and clear, about 30 C degrees ; calm, nearly no wind.

During the flight session it was normal in the first 10-15 minutes. After that I found the phantom was reluctant to rotate. A few more minutes later the battery started alert (on 30%) so that I try to move the phantom back for landing. When the unit nearly returned to the original take-off position, the battery meter was on 20% and, it suddenly fell into the seaside and sea water fluxed in.

When it fell before my eyes, I just observed that the motors are no longer moving.

I am wondering what happened - battery problem or I did something nasty?

hkechoes said:
So sad that this is my first post here - but my Phantom 2 Vision is already destroyed due to this issue.

My Phantom:
- Firmware is the last version before 3.x release - updated after initial purchase on late March.
- Fled the Phantom about 10-15 times, without issue, sometimes went over about 600ft above the controller (and took some great pictures)
- Installed DJI guards

During the flight session it was normal in the first 10-15 minutes. After that I found the phantom was reluctant to rotate. A few more minutes later the battery started alert (on 30%) so that I try to move the phantom back for landing. When the unit nearly returned to the original take-off position, the battery meter was on 20% and, it suddenly fell into the seaside and sea water fluxed in.

When it fell before my eyes, I just observed that the motors are no longer moving.

Well, if your props stopped, it sounds like a total loss of battery power. Were you able to recover the unit and salvage the video? If video recording stopped as well, that would suggest a battery problem.

PeteInCO said:
FYI, I've had 2 similar incidents with an uncontrolled descent.

Once while 150 ft up, the motors started to oscillate and the craft started to tilt side to side and front to back. It crashed into a bush and only the props tore up some branches. The camera was on video, but it stopped recording at the beginning of the descent.

The second time was at 450+ft altitude. It again started to oscillate while taking great video of the Dakota Ridge. I tried everything to regain control, but it just fell (although somewhat slowly) wildly gyrating back and forth, and making all sorts of noise (like trying compensate for wind). The video stopped (so I found out later) before it started the descent. It landed tilted and the battery popped out. Only a broken prop guard spar. After doing a reset on camera, compass, etc., and a new battery it flew fine. I have not been up to 450ft though. I suspect it could be the battery contacts because I have lost video on both occasions.

Pete

Sorry to hear that, Pete. It certainly sounds like a battery issue or other power connection problem, as you lost all power, including the camera. Check the solder points inside the Phantom to see if they are properly attached.

Update

I re-installed Firmware 3.04 today and did a full IMU calibration (Advanced).
I then took Hobbes out for testing. Everything was performing nominally until my second flight, when the throttle became unresponsive. All other controls (right stick and yaw) worked normally. I just could not climb, period. Bird just hovered.

Battery level was around 45% when this happened. My conclusion is that the added weight of the RP Gimbal is too much to compensate for once battery is below 50%. I saw the same thing with two different batteries, so I definitely think it's an issue where there isn't enough voltage to drive the motors fast enough.

I'm going to consider 50% battery my initial point for returning home from now on. At 30% battery, it just hovers one or two feet off the ground:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y4TSso5tNw[/youtube]

-Jason

Same happened to me on two occasions. Each time I was flying over water at about 5 feet. Suddenly I lost lift. Ascend control was unresponsive. Both times the craft was pointed at me. First time I was approximately 50 feet from the beach. I pulled back on the throttle hard to get it to shore. it descended as it came toward me until it was skimming the water. Barely made it to shore.
Second time I was flying over a slough, about 6 ft. above the water. Same symptoms. Under 50% battery power. Wouldn't ascend. Up lever unresponsive. Pulling back on the reverse stick made it descend more as it came toward me so I hovered to regain my composure. Then it landed itself...in a foot of water. Video won't play but shows a 1.2 gb of recording. Having the card examined to see if the footage can be retrieved. Camera and gimbal fried. Craft powers up after drying out but GPS no longer works. (no green lights, just slow flashing yellow) I will try replacing the gps unit and compass to see if I can get my gps back.

• Phantom Vision (not Plus)
• Second to last Firmware
• Open area (no wifi towers or power lines)
• Rotorpixel Gimbal

Has anyone noticed that it seems like the Phantom won't hover below 8ft. It acts like it is in some kinda programming to assist in landing? To get my craft to hover under 8ft I have to manually stay on the stick.

drjay32 said:
hkechoes said:

My Phantom:
- Installed DJI guards

Well, if your props stopped, it sounds like a total loss of battery power. Were you able to recover the unit and salvage the video? If video recording stopped as well, that would suggest a battery problem.

Too bad that I was taking static photos, not videos. I got the P2V back in shallow waters, however it's socked with sea water and I estimated the chance of successful repairing it is slim. Only thing I get back was the SD card, and just got back the photos.

Drjay could you please explain how you rolled back to v1.0.8
I have a pv2 on latest software and it's anarchy..... I know you mentioned you had a Mac but I'd appreciate any guidance that could assist me.

lloydDugmore said:
Drjay could you please explain how you rolled back to v1.0.8
I have a pv2 on latest software and it's anarchy..... I know you mentioned you had a Mac but I'd appreciate any guidance that could assist me.

Lloyd-
I downloaded the Windows version of Assistant 1.08 from Droneslinger's page: www.droneslinger.com
I then ran the Firmware "update" and this rolled me back to 1.08 on the Autopilot system. No other FW can be rolled back, to my knowledge.

-Jason

Update 2

I did more testing yesterday. This time, I wanted to test for the effect of gimbal power on thrust. To my surprise, I was able to fly and hover at around 15% charge with the Rotorpixel power disconnected. I plugged in the gimbal, and could not take off anymore.

Apparently I received a faulty gimbal, as it must be drawing too much current from the system and affecting motor output once the battery goes below 45%. I contacted Keri at Rotorpixel and he is sending me a replacement unit.

Hopefully, this solves it.

Thanks man, Im going to try this out.
im going flying just now.

charging two batteries
changed batteries in controller
took off camera and gimbal
put bumpers and string on
enabled naza-m mode

there is no wind today... taking it out on version 3.04 one last time to make sure
taking my laptop with and a video camera
if its not working so well I may do the rollback in the field and see what happens.

drjay32 said:
Three times now, I've had uncontrolled descents where it's like the motors are idling but I cannot regain control.

Each time this has happened, I've been in close range (less than 100' away) and at modest altitude (50' or lower). The Phantom just starts coming down fast and I cannot control it. This has happened in both GPS and Atti modes (the third time I switched to Atti during the descent to see if I could regain control). Moreover, I'm not rapidly descending when this has occurred... in fact one time was during slow forward flight/hovering.

This does not appear to be a flyaway issue. The motors simply run at idle speed until impact. Luckily so far, my only damage is a single broken prop.

However, I'm very concerned as to what the heck is going on. I have flown plenty of times with no issues outside of what is operator error.

Basic configuration:
Phantom 2 Vision running firmware 3.04
Battery has been over 50% both times when this has happened; no warnings etc.
WiFi is not interrupted; video can record normally even during crash!
I have a RotorPixel gimbal installed but have no reason to think this is the problem (however I have removed it and will test without it on).
I've opened the shell and all solder joints look fine and intact. Again, I'm not losing power, it just goes into idle.

Your thoughts?

ive also had the same thing. heres a video of my phantom 2 going into VRS
http://youtu.be/poKYDziRO3c

YESTERDAY I had encountered problem during my second battery flight! Started up battery warning in red but 50%. Ended up erratic begaviour and crashing. What happened ...

I have FW 2.00, not updated to 3.0. I have two batteries 15 cycles each. Yesterday I flew my first one without any sigh of problems as usually. I started to fly the second one. After some time I realized the bird slowly descends (exactly like the low battery behaviour). I looked at the screen. The battery icon was 50% but IN RED!!! WTF? I was near so i cought him and turned of. Took out battery and put again. It still had two lights and one blinking. Start... batery 50% blue.

Go on flying. I was now watching the screen, in few moments again RED batery icon and than again back BLUE. I decided not flying anywhere just drain the battery lower. In next few moments the bird took hard right so that it was almost vertical (one cannot even do that in GPS ATTI), look at the screen RED icon. Bird went right and down. Few meters further crashed. The casualties are lets say minor. Crashed dumper bracket and the looks one screw next to one motor mate the plastic cover crashed down. No propeler broken.

I took phantom back home and connected to assistant. Batteries seem both have all three cells alright.
What THE HELL WAS THAT?

Attachments

• DSC03727.JPG
    DSC03727.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 238
  • DSC03728.JPG
    DSC03728.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 272

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics