Uncontrollable crash

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My dji3-professional today dropped like a stone from 20m. I think it is unrepairable:-( It was my fourth flight that day. The others been okay, except for some warnings of weak transmission, but, still manageable. On my last flight after just one minute (battery at.ca. 70%), the status on the App on my iPad went to "disconnected". So I could not use the iPad anymore, however, since the drone was just ca. 25 meters away and did not fly high, I did not push the return home button, but decided to fly it home manually. I might have pushed the left stick to the ground, but, as I understand, this should not stop the motor in mid-air! I'm just happy no one got hurt. However, before I buy a new one, I must find out, where the problem lies, because this is just too dangerous. Not to imagine the drone would have fallen on someone's head or a driving car...
The flight record shows five! last flights of 0m Distance and 0m altitude with no GPS.
I guess, this is all my last flight. And I remember to had GPS in the green, otherwise I would not dare to fly. Any ideas what went wrong?

Attachments

• Flight-record-crash.png
    Flight-record-crash.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,071
Hi everyone,
My dji3-professional today dropped like a stone from 20m. I think it is unrepairable:-( It was my fourth flight that day. The others been okay, except for some warnings of weak transmission, but, still manageable. On my last flight after just one minute (battery at.ca. 70%), the status on the App on my iPad went to "disconnected". So I could not use the iPad anymore, however, since the drone was just ca. 25 meters away and did not fly high, I did not push the return home button, but decided to fly it home manually. I might have pushed the left stick to the ground, but, as I understand, this should not stop the motor in mid-air! I'm just happy no one got hurt. However, before I buy a new one, I must find out, where the problem lies, because this is just too dangerous. Not to imagine the drone would have fallen on someone's head or a driving car...
The flight record shows five! last flights of 0m Distance and 0m altitude with no GPS.
I guess, this is all my last flight. And I remember to had GPS in the green, otherwise I would not dare to fly. Any ideas what went wrong?
Check your iPad connection cable. I discovered this problem before flying. The cable is very weak and easily damaged where it enters the iPad. Did you have any charging problems with the iPad before the flight? If not then it may be something different.

The flight record shows five! last flights of 0m Distance and 0m altitude
My first thought is a loose/bad battery connection, although this might prove difficult to show after the fact.

However, before I buy a new one, I must find out, where the problem lies, because this is just too dangerous. Not to imagine the drone would have fallen on someone's head or a driving car...
If you can still power on the P3 you should get the dat logs out of the P3 and post the logs of that day in dropbox or google drive.
Here's how to retrieve it.
Retrieving a .DAT from the P3

Reactions: Fernossi
Check your iPad connection cable. I discovered this problem before flying. The cable is very weak and easily damaged where it enters the iPad. Did you have any charging problems with the iPad before the flight? If not then it may be something different.
A bad cable connection might be the reason for the "disconnection". However, the drone can be landed without the iPad just by RC

Is it possible you inadvertently performed a CSC while piloting it back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As said, I may have pulled the left stick down as far as it goes, because I thought to land the drone as quick as possible. However, as I understand, while flying mid-air, this commando should not turn of the motor completely. This would be just too dangerous!

As said, I may have pulled the left stick down as far as it goes, because I thought to land the drone as quick as possible. However, as I understand, while flying mid-air, this commando should not turn of the motor completely. This would be just too dangerous!
Sorry, when I say CSC I mean the same combination you use to start the motors.

(Both sticks down and inward as far as they will go)

As I understand it, doing this midair will cause the motors to shut off completely, and had resulted in uncontrollable crashes before.

If you can still power on the P3 you should get the dat logs out of the P3 and post the logs of that day in dropbox or google drive.
Here's how to retrieve it.
Retrieving a .DAT from the P3
I still had access to it and saved today's files to my Mac. I can open them as a txt-file. But, of course, I do not understand what any of those letters and signs mean...

Sorry, when I say CSC I mean the same combination you use to start the motors.

(Both sticks down and inward as far as they will go)

As I understand it, doing this midair will cause the motors to shut off completely, and had resulted in uncontrollable crashes before.
I do not remember to have used the right stick at all, so I do not think I did a CSC in mid-air. Next time I need someone to record my moves as well, so I can be sure:)

Upload the logs here:

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

And don't fly over people! This should be an eye opener. Even if you find out what happened in this instance, anything propelled can stop being propelled and fall to the ground. On of the first and foremost safety concepts is to think about what would happen if you lost control.

I still had access to it and saved today's files to my Mac. I can open them as a txt-file. But, of course, I do not understand what any of those letters and signs mean...

That file needs converted to a csv format before viewing. Upload and attach the txt file here and I will diagnose it. Btw, the txt file is located on the device used with the GO app.

I might be wrong but doesn't bringing the left stick down to its fullest extent turn the motors off? It does when I catch mine.

Reactions: FT in Japan
That file needs converted to a csv format before viewing. Upload and attach the txt file here and I will diagnose it. Btw, the txt file is located on the device used with the GO app.
I tried to upload the last dat-file from the drone, but it says it is too big to be uploaded here (44MB) :-(

Hi everyone,
Fernossi, when you say it fell like a stone, did it tumble or come down on the legs? If you panicked and pulled all the way down on the left stick the phantom will hit the ground very hard, surely sustaining major damage.

Fernossi, when you say it fell like a stone, did it tumble or come down on the legs? If you panicked and pulled all the way down on the left stick the phantom will hit the ground very hard, surely sustaining major damage.
It felt from 20 to 10, then the blades rotated a little bit again keeping the drone at place, but after a second it felt the remaining 10m and landed very hard on grass. The battery, the memory card and three of the four blades seems to be unharmed, but the drone is done.

Upload the logs here:

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

And don't fly over people! This should be an eye opener. Even if you find out what happened in this instance, anything propelled can stop being propelled and fall to the ground. On of the first and foremost safety concepts is to think about what would happen if you lost control.

Yes, it definitely was an eye opener and will change my attitude to this potentially very dangerous toy. I tried to upload my file to the mentioned site, but even after 10 minutes, it still says "Please wait" :-(

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2016-05-08 um 22.51.09.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2016-05-08 um 22.51.09.png
    92.6 KB · Views: 582
If you want to have an idea what happened post the DAT so some of us can have a look.
It will give a good indication what caused the crash.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues