uncontrolable throttle

Roc

Reaction score
Lake Lotawana MO. (outside of Kansas City)
When I start the motors with out touching anything the motors go full throttle, well at least two of them do and instantly flips over. I started them and held down the bird and it seemed like the were pulsing at full throttle on and off for about 2 seconds back and forth? I've tried recalibrating the compass but kind of knew that wasn't the problem. I may of gotten moisture in it, not water but the humidity here has been over 80% for a week and its been downstairs in the garage? I cant get it to connect to the Naza software, but I don't know if that's related or this micro USB cable is bad? I did have a light crash last time out (very light, more like bad landing). I fairly new to the game so would love some advice where to start.

You need to calibrate the transmitter I think. The pitch is probably out of sync. If you can't connect it to Naza you actually shouldn't be flying at all. First you definitely need to get Naza working and do the calibrations. In your case, do the advanced calibration AND the controller calibration. Compass can get odd when wet, check for moist behind the clamp and landing gear. 80% is not a big problem. But check for condensation when moving it to a relative colder location. Condensed damp is pure water of course.
But if you never got Naza to connect you shouldn't fly it yet, really.

You have to use the short grey USB cable that came with the phantom. Any other micro USB cable might give connection problems. Try another USB port on your PC, try a different PC. I have 2 PC's and 2 Macs. Both Macs (latest OS)just crash Naza every time I do a calibration. My PC's all work fine with the software. I don't trust the OSX version at all.

Ok, Lake _flyer I think we just might become good friends. It seems were totaly opposite. Im kind of the drive home from the store, tear open the box, charge the battery, and read just enough to get that bird in the air kind of guy who probably needs reeled in just a bit. I totaly planned on useing this first phantom as a learner and one to experiment with. I also live on Lake, which im sure will eat at least one of these. I searched for that small grey cable that you mentioned and its nowhere to be found. I think my kit was missing a package because I didnt get any screws either and had to go back to store. QUESTIONS: I didnt think connecting to NAZA was needed until you were ready for the GPS mode?****Wouldnt a new micro/USB cable from Radio Shack work? ****Where is the micro port on the controller?****I mentioned earlier it was down in the garage because of the condensation, 95 degree outside, 70 down there makes for a very damp room. Any sugestions to see if moisture is the problem?****Do you keep any spare parts onhand, if so what do you suggest and where do you order from? Please feel free to bombard me with any suggestions and all info you want to share. Not just about this issue but anything.

Sadly your method of drive home and tear open the box and get it in the air as soon as possible doesn't really work for these aircraft.
These are a bit of kit that needs a good understanding of how it works before you take off. To be honest anything that could drop from several hundred feet onto someones head needs treating with a bit of respect. I would seriously suggest you read the manuals in depth (not just you but anyone getting a Phantom as in the main most questions asked here can be found within the manuals or by a good online search.
Please don't think I'm getting at you! Its something almost everyone falls foul of (myself included).

There is no USB connection on teh controller. To calibrate the controller connect the USB to the Phantom, power on the Controller, then power on the Phantom. Connect to your laptop and run the Assistant program. There are multiple screens for configuration including one that allows you to configure the controller. The missing screws thing is a common issue - mainly because there are two bags of screws in the packaging and one of them looks like a gel pack so is often thrown away by mistake.
You can also (carefully!!!) split the controller and you'll find a USB connector internally. You can connect to that and run a more advanced calibration if required.
In terms of condensation, if its a problem you will see water droplets / dampness on the surfaces of the phantom. If the phantom feels dry and leaves no tell tale smears when you drag a finger over the surface then its likely (but not guaranteed) to be ok.

To lostkiwi (great name, btw) no offence taken.. Im a bit of free spirit and doubt that will ever change but so you know, I made sure I was no danger to anyone. I own about 200 acres where the only thing a crash will hurt is my wallet. Anyway now that that the kid on Christmas morning feeling has passed Im sure Im going to be obsessed with these machines and try to learn as much as possible. Ive read the manuals twice now and have learned more here in an hour.I appriciate your cander and welcome your advice.
I double checked, but still think I was missing a box or bag. I guess there was supposed to be an USB extender and some extra landing pads as well that I never got. Oh wel.... Will a standard USB/micro USB cable work, or does it have to be the one that came in the kit? **** How long does it usually take to connect?**** Do you always power on the controller when you connect?*****

The spare pads were in the same bag as the screws and prop wrench. The USB cable was in the charger box I think?

Roc said:
I never seen a prop wrench either, so must of not recieved that package. I bet thats the same cable it said to use for charging the camera? I wondered why there was no cord for the camera.

Yes the cable charges the camera as well.

Always power on the controller before powering on the phantom. A standard USB cable will fit both the phantom and camera as long as its not to bulky and doesn't foul the casing.

Remove the props and try doing the motor tests in the Assistant software.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20