Uncommanded power-on on WIFI range extender

Reaction score
I apologize if this topic has been discussed elsewhere in the forum. Would appreciate it if someone could point me to those previous posts.

I am concerned about a new development in my setup. Earlier this week, I switched on my WIFI range extender only to find that it had no juice. So I plugged it to the wall using a standard USB2 cable with wall plug adapter.

I expected it to take several hours to charge back from zero. When I went to check, I saw that the indicator lights were on - both of them. The signal indicator light was flashing green, and the power light was a solid green. This, in spite of the fact that the power switch for the range extender was in the OFF position.

Puzzled, I disconnected the repeater and turned it on. Powered up okay, or so it seemed. So I put it back in my carrying case, and stowed my gear for the next days' flying.

The next morning, I decided to check the repeater again, and flipped on the power switch. It was dead.

I plugged it in to a USB2 cable connected to my Mac. The customary orange/yellow charge indicator (the right side LED) was lit.

A couple hours later, I examined the repeater. The charge indicator had turned RED. I made sure the power switch was in the OFF position. I reconnected the USB2 cable, and re-established the orange/yellow charge indication.

Thirty minutes later, I checked the repeater, only to find both lights on - GREEN, this time, with the WIFI signal indicator flashing, and a solid green on the power indicator.

What is the deal with this? If anybody knows, I would appreciate your advice. Otherwise, I wonder if it is time to purchase a replacement WIFI repeater.

No, no progress to speak of. I took the cover off the unit to see if there might be a physical problem with the switch, but I couldn't tell visually.

The switch is unresponsive now. No matter what I do, the battery just drains down. Currently, it is dead again, and I am debating about purchasing a new range extender -- for the whopping cost of US$99. Ouch.

I bought the unit in February, so I am still under the 1-year limited warranty. Let's see if I can get warranty service next.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl