Uncommanded descent!

Reaction score
Waited for course lock and home position as usual. Even did a compass cal for the heck of it on Phantom power-up. Was flying at about 1300 ft distance and 150 ft altitude over a lot of houses at night, so I had a good visual fix on the bird. In NAZA mode, both switches up, commanding about 5 mph forward stick. Wifi starts to lose bars. Then I get "Phantom Connection Broken" on the app screen. No biggie right? Wrong. At the same time, I see the bird descending what appeared to be straight down at a pretty descent rate. No commands given to do this. I panicked for a moment, gave up throttle command but still descending. I then switch S1 middle and back up. Control regained!! Bird is hovering and responding to my commands. I could feel my heart beating through my chest.

So I switched to course lock and brought it back uneventfully within about 350' of home. Then tested IOC off, CL, HL all fine. Tested GPS, ATTI, and even Failsafe. All fine.

I thought maybe the Failsafe mode was Landing instead of RTH Landing, but disproved that with the testing. Flew a second battery without incident.

Never thought I would have one of these unexplained behaviors, yet I had one! When I got home, I ran the Assistant. I did an advanced IMU and checked Failsafe Landing was checked. I even checked Landing and rechecked RTH Landing just to be safe. Did a stick cal as well for the heck of it.

One more thing, I MAY have had the TX angled up too high, instead of pointing more at the bird. Might explain the connection broken, but not the landing mode. Even if it was trying to RTH, it should have stayed at altitude as I was above 20m. Looked like it may have been going to 20 meters, but I didnt wait to see. Again, I was able to regain control with a switch of S1 to middle then top. Implying it was RTHing and I got control back.

Any ideas?

I'm wondering if that isn't a bug in 3.0 software. Seems like alot of strange anomolies with 3.0. I'd email DJI tech support and report it.

Not sure if anyone cares but I am going to revert to 1.0.8 tonight before I fly again. I think it is more stable than 2.0 or 3.0. Just too many unpredictable events. I don't care about fpv mode. As long as the gimbal works I will be happy. After everyone is done beta testing 3.0 maybe I will try 4.0.

BlackTracer said:
Not sure if anyone cares but I am going to revert to 1.0.8 tonight before I fly again. I think it is more stable than 2.0 or 3.0. Just too many unpredictable events. I don't care about fpv mode. As long as the gimbal works I will be happy. After everyone is done beta testing 3.0 maybe I will try 4.0.
I heard someone say the only 2.0 and higher supported 3 axis. Not educated enough to fully described what that means.

srandall25 said:
BlackTracer said:
I heard someone say that only 2.0 and higher supported 3 axis. Not educated enough to fully describe what that means.

Just proved its not true. Just downgraded to 1.08 and all three axes work. Only thing 1.08 doesnt have for the new gimbal is FPV mode. Pretty sure I can't go wrong with 1.08 as far as flight control is concerned. The firmware is guaranteed simpler without all the area restrictions and the cylinder limits cluttering things up.

Just wanted to clarify about the gimbal and 1.08. In flight, the gimbal operates on all three axes exactly as in 3.0. It even yaws with the left stick. However the Gimbal settings in the 1.08 assistant have no effect on the gimbal. These are the pitch and roll and power settings that are not in the 3.0 assistant. I may try 2.0 to see if the gimbal settings in there do anything with the plus gimbal.

The gimbal settings, and tilt speed were implemented in 3.0. In 2.0, they still did nothing.
How did you downgrade to firmware 1.08? I can't even find it on the web..only 2.0 and 3.0

havasuphoto said:
The gimbal settings, and tilt speed were implemented in 3.0. In 2.0, they still did nothing.
How did you downgrade to firmware 1.08? I can't even find it on the web..only 2.0 and 3.0

I don't see any gimbal settings in 3.0 assistant other than FPV on/off. Am I missing something?

BlackTracer said:
havasuphoto said:

I don't see any gimbal settings in 3.0 assistant other than FPV on/off. Am I missing something?
Supposed to be a gain setting for tilt speed. Most are using 3 or 4.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl