Unable to update FW + flashing yellow lights

Reaction score
Hi all!

Total noob here that is struggling to get my drone up and running after combing these forums (and others) extensively. Eternally grateful to anyone who might be able to help :)

tldr; my brand new drone that I haven't yet flown is experiencing flashing yellow lights and I'm not sure what to do.

I got a DJI Phantom 3 Advanced for my birthday (which is today!) and have been going crazy trying to get it working.

After watching a handful of tutorial videos, I started off by trying to update the aircraft's firmware; after side loading the BIN to a new microSD card, I powered the device on. I think I must have cycled the machine off too early because then my drone went into a hellish cry with red flashing lights. Ultimately, after a handful of attempts and resetting the SD card a few times --> letting the device sit, I was able to stop the noise (described here:
)

However, I don't think I've been able to get the drone to actually update to the latest FW. I've tried two different microSD cards now and formatted them each several times, but no luck.

When I power the device up, I see two flashing yellow lights and two solid red lights. Poking around leads me to believe this might be related to the controller not being properly attached to the drone itself?

I've seen wacky solutions that involve using a super old desktop software and others that involve opening up the drone... but nothing really straight forward. Does anyone know what the best steps to correct this are? Beyond confused.

P.S. Separately from all of this, I was able to update my controller's firmware using the iOS DJI app.

Hi all!

Total noob here that is struggling to get my drone up and running after combing these forums (and others) extensively. Eternally grateful to anyone who might be able to help :)

tldr; my brand new drone that I haven't yet flown is experiencing flashing yellow lights and I'm not sure what to do.

I got a DJI Phantom 3 Advanced for my birthday (which is today!) and have been going crazy trying to get it working.

After watching a handful of tutorial videos, I started off by trying to update the aircraft's firmware; after side loading the BIN to a new microSD card, I powered the device on. I think I must have cycled the machine off too early because then my drone went into a hellish cry with red flashing lights. Ultimately, after a handful of attempts and resetting the SD card a few times --> letting the device sit, I was able to stop the noise (described here:
)

However, I don't think I've been able to get the drone to actually update to the latest FW. I've tried two different microSD cards now and formatted them each several times, but no luck.

When I power the device up, I see two flashing yellow lights and two solid red lights. Poking around leads me to believe this might be related to the controller not being properly attached to the drone itself?

I've seen wacky solutions that involve using a super old desktop software and others that involve opening up the drone... but nothing really straight forward. Does anyone know what the best steps to correct this are? Beyond confused.

P.S. Separately from all of this, I was able to update my controller's firmware using the iOS DJI app.
Happy Birthday sir!

Firmware-
Have you already checked the txt file on your SD card to see if it shows "success" following your FW update? Which FW version are you using? Since you said you updated your RC already, the AC firmware needs to be 1.8 or 1.9 or the RC and AC will not link due to an encryption mismatch. If you dont see "success" in the txt file or if you didnt use 1.8 or 1.9, do the FW update again until you do see "success" in the txt file. Follow these steps carefully to do the FW update.

Yellow Lights-
Are the yellow lights blinking slowly or are they fast?
>If the yellow lights are blinking slowly, check to see if the flight mode switch on your RC is set to A. If it is, move it to P. Did that change the yellow lights? Are you indoors or outdoors? If you're indoors (no GPS) then try it outside. Is the green led lit in your RC when both the RC and the AC are turned on?
>If the yellow lights are blinking fast and you have a red led lit on your RC, it usually means you need to link your RC and AC.This is unusual for a new P3, but not unheard of since you chose to immediately change your FW. It sounds like you are able to connect your mobile device to your RC since you said you updated its FW, so if you have already done what I noted above with your FW you can try the linking procedure through the app.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20