Unable to load maps on iPhone air 2.

Reaction score
Can someone help me with what I'm doing wrong?

I had an iPad Air 2 non cellular that I tethered with my iPhone and it worked perfectly. I know have the cellular version air 2 and the maps don't seem to show up. It must be something obvious that I'm missing. Also the image transmission keeps cutting out or is super choppy. Image transmission setting was on auto. Gonna change it to custom to see if that helps. Sorry I guess that's 2 questions.
d70c5ba56652338e7d2d71e27a445130.jpg
d3d3de4a4cb3fa74bb665f287b70fa07.jpg
c210de8862d5bb44a3fa66366cad3d0d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought I read that you don't need a data plan, that you just need the GPS which is on the cellular version as opposed to the non cellular which doesn't have GPS. Maybe you still need cellular service to load the maps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought I read that you don't need a data plan, that you just need the GPS which is on the cellular version as opposed to the non cellular which doesn't have GPS. Maybe you still need cellular service to load the maps?

Yeah data plan is needed to load the map images. GPS will work, but you'll just be placed on a blank map like you are. You can preload the maps if you know exactly where you'll be flying. Just pan around the map before you go fly and it will be saved on your ipad. That way the GPS dot won't show up in an empty space.

Reactions: AmosMoses

The cellular version iPad also has GPS. None cellular iPads do not have GPS. Having GPS allows you to set a dynamic home point (set a home point after the P3 is in the air). That's why people get the cellular version. :)

You have two options:

1) Connect to your WiFi at home and cache the maps. Make sure cache the maps in the background is enabled before you do this. This is an option on the Pilot app.

2) Or get a data plan through your cell phone provider so you can load the maps when you open the app. No need to connect to WiFi beforehand.

Yeah data plan is needed to load the map images. GPS will work, but you'll just be placed on a blank map like you are. You can preload the maps if you know exactly where you'll be flying. Just pan around the map before you go fly and it will be saved on your ipad. That way the GPS dot won't show up in an empty space.
You can also connect the iPad to a mobile hotspot out in the field (where you're flying) if you have that service on your phone.

I thought when I mentioned that I did a local hotspot from my iPhone to my non-cellular iPad, others piped in to say that they don't recommend it because of the frequency? Thanks guys for taking the time to help me understand this.

I thought when I mentioned that I did a local hotspot from my iPhone to my non-cellular iPad, others piped in to say that they don't recommend it because of the frequency? Thanks guys for taking the time to help me understand this.

Yes that is correct. If you do it that way, use the hotspot to cache the maps, then turn the hotspot off so it doesn't potentially interfere with the communication to the P3.

I will take it out again tonight to see if changing the image transmission setting to custom will cure the video getting choppy or loosing connection.

You don't need the cellular version to get dynamic home point. You can buy a Bluetooth gps add on and use that on a wifi tablet only and cheaper then buying a cellular iPad mini or air 2 with cellular.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31