Unable to configure controller on new Phantom 2 Vision

Reaction score
I have the Phantom 2 Vision and have installed the DJI assistant on my Mac (latest version of OS). The controller of my Phantom 2 vision does NOT have a MicroUSB port. The manual says "if there is no one, users should open the rear cover to find the Micro-USB port on the board inner the remote controller." This is scary to do with a brand new purchase, but I did it. I opened the case and found the USB connection on the circuit board. I followed instructions to configure the remote controller on p. 53 of the user manual. THE DJI ASSISTANT SOFTWARE DOES NOT CONNECT TO THE CONTROLLER. I have tried repeatedly with no success. The message is always "please connect the controller" and the controller IS connected.

I believe the DJI Assistant software for Mac may be very recent and to blame? It is terrible that the controller has no USB jack and you have to take it apart to make a connection with the DJI assistant. I bought this from Amazon and kept all of the packaging. If this can't be resolved, I guess I will return it as defective. I have put in a support ticket with DJI. Do they respond?

I had pretty much the same experience as you, only I've got the PC version. Can't believe they put a USB port on the Phantom, but not on the controller. Duh...

I opened mine up, plugged it in and ran the "Assistant" - and found that I couldn't do anything. I was trying to check to see what version of software (or firmware?) I was running but couldn't find anything of help. So, I just put it back together and went out for a maiden flight (which worked out fine). But I'm still wondering if I've got what I should have to be up to date. :roll:

edbriggs said:
I have the Phantom 2 Vision and have installed the DJI assistant on my Mac (latest version of OS). The controller of my Phantom 2 vision does NOT have a MicroUSB port. The manual says "if there is no one, users should open the rear cover to find the Micro-USB port on the board inner the remote controller." This is scary to do with a brand new purchase, but I did it. I opened the case and found the USB connection on the circuit board. I followed instructions to configure the remote controller on p. 53 of the user manual. THE DJI ASSISTANT SOFTWARE DOES NOT CONNECT TO THE CONTROLLER. I have tried repeatedly with no success. The message is always "please connect the controller" and the controller IS connected.

I believe the DJI Assistant software for Mac may be very recent and to blame? It is terrible that the controller has no USB jack and you have to take it apart to make a connection with the DJI assistant. I bought this from Amazon and kept all of the packaging. If this can't be resolved, I guess I will return it as defective. I have put in a support ticket with DJI. Do they respond?
There is no RC Assistant for the Mac as yet. :-(
To do this you will presently need to do it on a Win Machine.

There is Assistant software for Mac. I got it from DGI site. I just doesn't work. If I get no Mac solution I suppose I will try using the Windows software on a PC. But I sure hate taking the new controller apart - there are connecting wires that could easily break.

I am boxing up the Phantom 2 Vision to return. Even if the Mac version of Assistant would connect, I anticipate that there will be frequent firmware upgrades and I am just unwilling to do a risky disassemble of the controller every time. It is ridiculous that they did not put a USB port on the controller. I will hope to buy another unit later after they fix it.

don't be mistaken friends
only phantom 2 Vision assistant is available both for win and mac
but for upgrading the tx or changing the mode 1 or 2 you need the Phantom RC Assistant Software v1.0 that is available only for windows yet

urgno said:
don't be mistaken friends
only phantom 2 Vision assistant is available both for win and mac
but for upgrading the tx or changing the mode 1 or 2 you need the Phantom RC Assistant Software v1.0 that is available only for windows yet
+1

Vision Assistant (PC & MAC) - connecting to aircraft, performing firmware updates to aircraft, calibrating transmitter and IMU in aircraft, tweaking settings and modes, monitoring your battery state, etc. This will happen quite a lot, for any or all of the previous reasons.

RC Assistant (PC Only) - connecting to transmitter to update firmware if you have a version earlier than current. I suspect this is going to be infrequent, the initial update was required to change something internally to boost CE mode performance. There was a corresponding receiver update, hence why everyone had to do it even if you don't fly CE. Given that the Tx is a "dumb" transmitter without any advanced features like expo, programming, etc it's not going to be frequent...

Hello,

Has anyone fixed connected the controller to mac for firmware update?

I can connect the phantom but as for the controller, its just does not show?

Thanks

All - This is covered in detail in the Firmware Upgrade Sticky: the TX/Controller can only be upgraded in Windows. If you're on a Mac you can run VMware Fusion or Parallels for Windows. This because RC Assistant only exists as a Windows application as this time. Other details, conditions, consequences, & how to check firmware are posted in the Sticky.

If you're out-of-box Vision shows your NAZA-M firmware is v1.05 or later, you're good to fly. You can even upgrade Vision to v1.08 from v1.05 w/o upgrading the controller as there were no upgrades to the TX/Controller with the introduction of v1.08.

Good luck,
iDrone :geek:

Edbriggs - don't give up. It seems painful at the time but as someone who went through the same thing, once you get that first controller check/update done then it's smooth sailing.

I have a Mac at home and a PC at work. When I read here that the Mac controller updating wasn't possible I took it into work and everything went fine. Only took 10 minutes to do and since then I can now see the controller on the DJI software on my Mac, and do calibrations etc.

One thing I would say about the firmware updating process is that they need to improve the feedback experience to the user in the UI. After you update, you don't receive a big green 'YOU ARE UPDATED' message, and the updates do not get grayed out as an option. So you do stop for a second and think 'Did that actually work?'

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic