UK

Hi all. Am from Newport South Wales. Phantom and 550. One or two usually meet up every Sunday in Cwmcarn.

hi guys im in the scottish highlands originally from london then essex but moved up here with the family about 12yrs ago

Hi
I will be coming to UK - London next week and thought of bringing the P2V and was wondering what's the regulations of FPV flying in UK ?
Is it ok to hoover a little around the Thames near London eye, if it is not to close to buildings or directly over people etc ?

Hope you enjoy your trip to London next week and have good visibility for flying too. As for the rules and regulations re quad flying :shock: check out the British Model Flying Association website ( http://www.bmfa.org ) and click the heading 'News' which should bring up the story about the first quad pilot prosecuted under UK Law for flying over restricted airspace - a nuclear submarine refitting base :lol: NOT a good idea to fly over a military zone and an even worse idea to crash the **** thing into the water alongside the submarine with the camera still rolling. Mr Putin would not have been amused let along the British Gov't. So £4K later the poor quadcopter pilot is feeling a bit broke and somewhat remorseful :?
Anyway enough of this guff - the main point of my reply to you is that this BMFA article on website also contains the 'need to know ' regulations re flying within the law, such as maintaining a minimum distance of 150 metres between the UAV and buildings and people.
Hope this helps!!

Operating rules for UAVs:
• An unmanned aircraft must never be flown beyond the normal unaided ‘line of sight’ of the person operating it. This is generally measured as 500m horizontally or 400ft vertically.
• An unmanned aircraft fitted with a camera must always be flown at least 50m distance away from a person, vehicle, building or structure.
• An unmanned aircraft fitted with a camera must not be flown within 150m of a congested area or large group of people, such as a sporting event or concert.

I assume that the 50 metres can be vertical, so you could take off in a open space for instance, go up to 50 metres above the highest structure and go where you want.

Most people flying from their own garden are therefore flying illegally.

Going back to the question, the London Eye is very close to parliament, so you would probably attract a lot of attention from the authorities very quickly. i wouldn`t risk it.

Encantador said:
Going back to the question, the London Eye is very close to parliament, so you would probably attract a lot of attention from the authorities very quickly. i wouldn`t risk it.

Not to mention there will be not a single place there where you can launch (and land again!) and not be well within the 50 metres perimeter you should have.

I'd agree with above, thought many a time about taking mine down to London when I visit but think it's just asking for trouble in most places of interest, not worth the hassle.

There's a video on YouTube of some idiots flying a quad over/around the Palace of Westminster, pretty stupid!

Encantador said:
I assume that the 50 metres can be vertical, so you could take off in a open space for instance, go up to 50 metres above the highest structure and go where you want.

Most people flying from their own garden are therefore flying illegally.

All numbers relating to UAVs in the ANO are distances, not heights, unless explicitly stated. In your garden you are fine as the structure is under your control - the rules you quote aren't quite as straightforward as there are differences for non-camera or non-recording equipped UAVs vs. recording equipped ones. However for buzzing around London you'd fall foul of the 150m rule in most places, never mind the fact that immersive FPV is illegal unless operating under the conditions of the FPV exemption (which include having a competent spotter) - but you still have to follow the other rules anyway.

I did a video on UK law recently...

http://youtu.be/djS3Q0d7CcU

Unless you have a house with its own grounds, most people will be within 150ft of a neighbours house and I assume therefore would be flying illegally.

If the rules are supposed to about `safety`, I wonder why it matters whether there is a camera attached or not.

Hello All
I live in the most spectacular part of the Uk - Cumbria - and am looking forward to producing some videos of the local area.
I have flown Radio Controlled for over 50 years and am really enjoying the Phantom 2 + GoPro I have.
I am trying to find the best way of attaching a 7" screen to my Tx for FPV - anyone have any ideas?
Peter

Just south of Coventry
Hope to be getting the Phantom 2 Vision plus next week and would be great to meet up with other flyers and learn the ropes
Steve

Encantador said:
Unless you have a house with its own grounds, most people will be within 150ft of a neighbours house and I assume therefore would be flying illegally.

If the rules are supposed to about `safety`, I wonder why it matters whether there is a camera attached or not.

If you remained within the boundaries of your own property I think you'd probably get away with it...

The camera thing is a bit odd, but I'm guessing the rule was made in the days where anything carrying a camera aloft was a lot bigger than today's mini marvels...

Hi Chaps, I'm up in Orkney. Just got my first P2 and looking forward to many hours of fun :)

New to forum.... If anyone fancies a meet in the Newbury Berkshire area, I will have an ideal location for the next 2 weeks and I've still got to put my new p2 together ready for first flight so be good to meet with some fellow p2 owners

Hi BALDYIAN I'm in Barnsley - new owner of P2 with FPV and Hero 3. iOSD on order for telemetry.

Got some good footage so far but a few nervous moments and crashes :)

Happy flying! good to have folks local to me ..

Cheers
Archie

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1