Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

UK Regulations/Licences - Concerns.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by deepheat, Jan 2, 2014.

1. deepheat

Greetings

I'm about to be the proud owner of a Phantom 2 Vision (tracking the courier as I type!)

However, since placing my order, (and despite my previous research), I am now finding very conflicting views and opinions with regards to flying a model aircraft especially one that has a camera mounted. I have also found today that my local council banned the flying of any RC model aircraft a little while back (due to a fatal accident)

Is becoming a member of The British Model Flying Association a prerequisite to model aircraft flying?

Since there is much video footage on You Tube that appears to be with the P2V "off-road" (i.e. beyond the boundaries of anything that appears to be a designated flying club, and not always private land) - what licences/agreements are required?

I would also expect that London Royal Parks are waaaay off limits.

Where are you guys flying your P2V (without risk of confiscation or worse)

Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks in Advance.

dp

2. Pull_Up

3. Meluk

Good info. I'm sure I read in the ANO that their guidelines/rules apply to any UAV over 7kg or something like that?

However I think the main point which has already been made is to just fly responsibly.

I would be a bit apprehensive to fly in any major tourist parks but just take a look on YouTube and ull find 1000's of similar flights. I mean I've seen Videos directly associated with DJI/Colin Guinn flying in major cities parks, built up areas etc etc. Legally is all still a grey area, the legislation has not kept up with the technology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Pull_Up

It's a strict rule for heavier models and for any weight being used for aerial work under a CAA permission - it's probably a sensible idea to see it as guidance or "best practice" for anything else. Obviously if you fly recklessly or endanger people, property or aircraft then you'll still be for the high jump in any subsequent investigation even with a Phantom! :D

5. Narj

Bit late replying here, but OP, are you by any chance in SE London/NW Kent?

If you're where I think you are, the byelaw specifically states "model aircraft" and previous documentation mentions wing spans etc. A Phantom is technically a "rotorcraft" rather than an aircraft from my understanding although I'm not sure whether than means we can get off on a technicality. There are nearby parks in a neighbouring borough which doesn't seem to have any similar byelaw so I use those.

Where I fly, I keep it at least 50m away from people and structures at all times and land it if people start turning up. Not being a prat and a danger to the public seems to work so far where I am. I have FPVUK membership too. :)

I'm eyeing up some other private sites as well but am having difficulty finding out who the landowners are so I can ask permission. Not great considering you could quickly burn through some cash doing land registry searches!