UK Newspaper Article about Drone Shield

Reaction score
'Alarms to warn if eye in the sky is watching'

An article in our Times Newspaper today about a device called 'Drone Shield' which is a high tech device which warns home owners when their airspace has been breached. It is an American device but I think they will arrive here in the UK at some point.

'The device is a small black box that can be carried or fitted to walls or fences. It is filled with high quality microphones that listen for the sound of drones around the property' (snip) 'It then sends messages to the owner if it detects the presence of an UAV'
Drone shield costs $100 for individuals and about $2000 for businesses. The company behind it say they have sold only a few hundred so far but believe sales will pick up when drones become a more commonplace sight over our skies.

http://www.droneshield.org/

I think it's gong to have to have some pretty impressive discrimination circuitry to not be confused by next-door's lawnmower, the noise from the helicopters from the RAF base 2 miles form my house, a bee coming close to the microphones, or the police helicopter chasing some bad guys... I suspect you could get a little annoyed with the volume of "intruder alerts" from this system quite quickly!

Plus I don't think they'll make their money back in the UK. We just don't have the same level of antagonism towards "surveillance" -
most people welcome local authority-run CCTV in town centres, for example, for the public protection and crime prevention factor. Most people's attitude seems to be more along the lines of "I'm not doing anything wrong, so I've got nothing to hide".

Pull_Up said:
Plus I don't think they'll make their money back in the UK. We just don't have the same level of antagonism towards "surveillance" -
most people welcome local authority-run CCTV in town centres, for example, for the public protection and crime prevention factor. Most people's attitude seems to be more along the lines of "I'm not doing anything wrong, so I've got nothing to hide".

As opposed to the previous colonies. Everyone here is so paranoid about being caught on cam picking their nose walking with someone else's spouse or generally being spotted somewhere they really shouldn't be. Plus. I don't think you have quite as many bleeding heart liberal special interest groups in old blighty...

-slinger

The issue of invading people's personal privacy did not really occur to me when I got the PV2 but I have found that it is one of the most frequent comments made by people when I tell them about it. Things like peeping tom, seeing people sunbathing topless and stuff like that. Maybe they are really commenting on my own personality - eek ! I have never thought of myself as in any way pervy :)

But to be honest, most of the population in the UK are not fortunate enough to own property that runs into numbers of acres. So you're far more likely to be spied on by a neighbour from an upstairs window than me with my quadcopter - especially if it's you that's getting your kit off!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4