UK in High Gear to Restrict "Drones"

Reaction score
Not sure if this has already been posted?

_87996612_87996608.jpg

Drones pose 'real threat' to civil aviation: Iata chief
Drones pose 'real threat' to civil aviation: Iata chief - BBC News

Following the lead of the US fun Police, the UK seems to be in a relentless media blitz to demonize "drones" similar to what occurred in the US.

Last edited:
I don't think the article sets out to demonise drones .....more of a reasoned argument that people need to fly by the rules, and find some way of stopping the idiots who fly near airports.

Following the lead of the US fun Police, the UK seems to be in a relentless media blitz to demonize "drones" similar to what occurred in the US.

The article quotes that person as saying "There is no denying that there is a real and growing threat to the safety of civilian aircraft [coming from drones]".

We keep reading or hearing about these events with UAV's - however, we don't read or hear as much when it comes the use of "personal and/or recreational lasers" anymore - or at least like we used to, and they have and continue to be a very real threat for aviation for a very long, long time.

Remember long before UAV's were flying around, the big deal was these lasers being pointed at airplanes and affecting the pilots. In the first half of 2015 for example there were 48 reports at Heathrow alone of such events involving lasers.

Don't get me wrong here - I am not justifying flying UAV's around airports or anything like that - I am not saying one is as bad as the other or one is worse than the other - just that over time, I would think the fear of the 'drones" and airplanes will dissipate as did the laser issue.

These politicians and law makers have such short memories - sick of reading about them jumping on the band wagon of whatever is the latest thing and making bigger deal out of whatever it is just to grab their own 15 minutes.

Here is the latest Laser report........'Laser incident' forces plane back to London - CNN.com

Reactions: JKDSensei
I don't think the article sets out to demonise drones .....more of a reasoned argument that people need to fly by the rules, and find some way of stopping the idiots who fly near airports.

Partially agree.....but I don' think it's all based on reality. VERY few of the reported incidents in the US that led to our registration were confirmed independently and many were silly...such as pilot reports of drones at 25,000ft (while the plane was moving at 300+ knots.
News media has a tendency to "sensationalize" Shock and awe sells.

Reasonable arguments don't move magazines and newspapers, or draw in advertising dollars due to readership as fast as sensational stories.
They are playing into the publics "fear" of "drones"

I think eaglegoaltender's post about lasers is a good example. "Drones" are just better for media frenzy because they can be painted in so many "evil intent" dimensions.

That's just an opinion of course .

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
hmmmm...username "El Cheapo"....

They say the wealthy are very "cheap" ;)
Hey sensei think you might need to go to specsavers the username is clearly ELHEAPO!!:mad:

I live in Australia and it's already regulated here with no fly zones around major airports and airfields. I am not sure how they could regulate it further other than banning them completely.

Here politicians tend to jump on the media band wagon and regulate anything that causes a stir. We have thousands of idiots driving half tonne pieces of metal around and they've regulated the crap out of that and they still kill themselves.

There will always be idiots doing the wrong thing no matter how much they regulate, my concern is that the vast majority of drone users are responsible (I definitely won't be crashing my 2.5 k worth of drone), however it's the very small minority and the media that will make us all pay for it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20