UK CAA permission to fly training

Reaction score
I'm looking to run a small business using my P3P, the training courses in UK appear to be about £1200+. However as far as I understand from the CAA we have 'other' tests available and these will be accepted as my proof of safe capability to fly. Much cheaper but still fully approved. I'm just wondering what your thoughts or experience of this is?
Also fyi using info freely available, Inc from the CAA, I am compiling my own handbook.
Cheers.

Last edited:
I've noticed the CAA have recently updated their website..

As far as I am aware it is only possible to gain your pfaw by attending one of the NQE's

& yes - there has been lots of information readily available on their website for a while now.

Most of the "operations manual" is written itself (once you select the particular UAV you're intending to use professionally)

What part ok the uk are you sticky?

You are brave to start a business based solely on aerial videography / photography

I will be using UAV's alongside my existing work & then progressing solely doing aerial work (as I have approached multiple companies about my proposed services.. & I have received a lot of interest in return

Hi Justin, I spoke with ....... and their license is accepted by the CAA.
Due to health I've almost no choice but to change my job and become self employed soon.
I'm in the North West, Warrington to be more precise, what about yourself?

Last edited:
Hi,

I didn't make it to the drone show - I didn't fancy the drive (but I did consider it that morning!)

The FMFA A & B licence will be of similar design as the other licenses.

I'm in Dorset - with the Jurassic coast & new forest on my doorstep.

I'm sorry to hear of health reasons.. hopefully this will be an exciting & profitable adventure for you.. & just a new chapter of your life!

I run my own business' already - so I know what it's like to go through the process.

I hope you can think of many ways to apply the use of UAV's - there is certainly lots of opportunity out there that I can think of.

Just had confirmation from the CAA, page 20 of their information notice IN-2015/008 shows what certification covers ALL required elements of 'pilot competency critical elements-acceptable alternative evidence', section 6. This negates the £1000 + full category NQE course costs.... Any thoughts/comments?

Last edited:
Excellent (and sensible) news if true - I've already got a B, I took it a few years ago in order to get insurance cover for paid work.

Section 6 near the bottom, shows it, this is from a link sent to me by the CAA today after speaking with them on the phone.

Attachments

• 1450299404828.jpg
    1450299404828.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 383
So you use the license alongside your handbook as your PFAW application. I can email you the pdf if you wish as I don't know how to put the pdf on here from my phone.

Last edited:
Very good news!.. I will have to look into doing the BMFA A or B cert

Anyone here have experience with doing them recently?

Very interesting.. it appears the whole process is becoming easier!

The pfaw is a lot more accessible now.

(Feel very sorry for UAV pilots in the US.. where it appears to be a lot more difficult!)

To add a technical problem to this, the BMFA multirotor B test clearly states a specific loop must be achieved as part of the test, I've yet to see a drone out of a box perform a large loop (not a flip)... Can anyone do this? Apparently model limitations are no excuse during the test!!!
Can anyone perform a 20metre loop with their uav?

This is directly from the examination information of what is required.... Can anyone actually do this?

Attachments

• 1450344397460.jpg
    1450344397460.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 397
I'm very interested in doing this course now too. The other schemes seem to be far too expensive. As for the loop a p1 or p2 can quite easily do a flip but a loop is something I have not attempted. Does anyone know if you are allowed to use different uavs in the test? Most flying would be done with my f550 which would obviously not be suited to a loop... could I swap out to a fpv racing quad for that maneuver?

I have BMFA A and B certs for both Fixed Wing and Helicopters, does anybody know if the CAA accepts the Helicopter certs as qualifying for multi rotors? Assuming a single rotor and a multirotor are all classed as helicopters. I emailed BMFA and asked this question and received a rather non-commital reply!

I'm ex Army Air Corps and to the best of my knowledge there is/was only one helicopter that could do a loop ! Lynx . (Youtube if you don't believe me.) . It may be that they want you to fly a loop pattern maintaining the orientation, Fwd/Up. Rev/Up, Rev/Down, Fwd/Down to complete a 360deg "loop".

I have BMFA A and B certs for both Fixed Wing and Helicopters, does anybody know if the CAA accepts the Helicopter certs as qualifying for multi rotors? Assuming a single rotor and a multirotor are all classed as helicopters. I emailed BMFA and asked this question and received a rather non-commital reply!
Hi, could you please let us know what the reply was? Thank you for taking the time to explain stuff :)

I hold a CAA Commercial pilots licence and am a skydive pilot and flying instructor.

I spoke to one of the training places and thankfully I only have to do the flying test and no theory.

Also handy that I hold a Radio licence so am able to communicate with close by airports/airfields via a handheld VHF if I ever needed to operate near a airfield (licensed or unlicensed).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub