Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

UK CAA advice for commercial use

Discussion in 'Rules and Regulations' started by Kosh, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Kosh

Hi, Total Newbie here!
    I'm a professional photographer and I've just embarked on the journey for using a Drone for my work.
    I'm currently just 'playing' with a small Husban X4 quadcopter to get used to flying a remote control drone.
    I have just, however, ordered a Phantom 4.
    Next I'm aware, I need a licence and according to the abysmal CAA website I need to go on a course first with one of the 'recognised' companies (that they don't supply any links to) first.
    There dosent appear to be any in my area Shrewsbury/Shropshire - nearest I think is Manchester.
    SO I wondered if a anyone could give me some advice on the following:

1) What level of training do I need, to fly to take property for an estate agent for example (tripod in the sky use)?

2) Does anyone know of, or even better, used someone nearer to me to obtain this training?

3) is it going to cost me £970 (plus hotel costs) then £112 - £224 for the licence from the CAA (+annual renewal) to fly this P4 commercially?

4) Do i need to get permission from the CAA for each property I photograph for the estate agent - or does 'obtaining permission' simply mean to fly all (obviously with owners consent)?

Thank you for reading my post and I look forward to viewing your replies/suggestions.

Kosh

2. Loomster

How high are you intending to fly to shoot property?

3. Kosh

About 100ft?

4. grahamsknight

I have just booked on the 3 day fast track CAA approved training course at Uttoxeter staffordshire,cost £1500 (UAV) see their website, I believe once qualified you don't need CAA permission unless you want to operate near airports, see skydemonlight app

Kosh likes this.
  5. Loomster

Do you need a licence for 100ft or is it a means to an end for insurance purposes in relation to commercial use?

6. Loomster

Do you know what the three days are going to involve Graham?

7. grahamsknight

2 days theory and studying and 3rd day flying test

Kosh likes this.
  8. Kosh

My understanding is that it's illegal to 'fly' for any commercial purposes without a CAA approval. Irrespective of any financial gain.

9. Kosh

That's the same type of course I've seen in Manchester & Gloucester.
    They are both under £1000 tho. Wonder what makes the UAV one £500 more?
    - this was one of the main reasons for me posting this in the first place, 'course' prices differ dramatically but in the end as long as you qualify for the CAA (separately) u can fly commercialy, legally.

10. Cornscot21

You do need a Permission for Aerial Work (soon to be Permission for Commercial Operations) from the CAA to do anything.

In response to your questions Kosh:
    1) It's the same for everyone; you need further permissions from the CAA if operating in a congested area or close to buildings
    2) Flyby Technology are running courses in Shrewsbury.
    3) Yes (or whatever costs the training provider charge). Plus insurance which you will need for your flight skills test which is a good £400+ sometimes.
    4) No; the PfAW (PfCO) gives that permission as long as you operate within what you put in your Ops Manual which, in effect, is your contract with the CAA

The Flyby Technology website goes through all you need for your journey into the commercial world :) Hope that helps dude.

Kosh likes this.
  11. Astrobiker

I highly recommend the 5day residential course with Commercial Drone Training. I did it and receive my PtF without any problems

Watch other courses with regards to the flight test as it sometimes has to be done at another location at another times and do they work through the Ops Manual with you. We spent a lot of time understanding what had to go in the Ops Manual so its accepted first time as often it is not.

Insurance you can get from FPV UK for £15 which covers the flight training and then you can get full insurance when you get work. You don;t have to have commercial insurance in place when you apply for your PtF

Kosh likes this.