UK CAA advice for commercial use

Reaction score
Hi, Total Newbie here!
I'm a professional photographer and I've just embarked on the journey for using a Drone for my work.
I'm currently just 'playing' with a small Husban X4 quadcopter to get used to flying a remote control drone.
I have just, however, ordered a Phantom 4.
Next I'm aware, I need a licence and according to the abysmal CAA website I need to go on a course first with one of the 'recognised' companies (that they don't supply any links to) first.
There dosent appear to be any in my area Shrewsbury/Shropshire - nearest I think is Manchester.
SO I wondered if a anyone could give me some advice on the following:

1) What level of training do I need, to fly to take property for an estate agent for example (tripod in the sky use)?

2) Does anyone know of, or even better, used someone nearer to me to obtain this training?

3) is it going to cost me £970 (plus hotel costs) then £112 - £224 for the licence from the CAA (+annual renewal) to fly this P4 commercially?

4) Do i need to get permission from the CAA for each property I photograph for the estate agent - or does 'obtaining permission' simply mean to fly all (obviously with owners consent)?

Thank you for reading my post and I look forward to viewing your replies/suggestions.

Kosh

I have just booked on the 3 day fast track CAA approved training course at Uttoxeter staffordshire,cost £1500 (UAV) see their website, I believe once qualified you don't need CAA permission unless you want to operate near airports, see skydemonlight app

Reactions: Kosh
Do you need a licence for 100ft or is it a means to an end for insurance purposes in relation to commercial use?

Do you need a licence for 100ft or is it a means to an end for insurance purposes in relation to commercial use?
My understanding is that it's illegal to 'fly' for any commercial purposes without a CAA approval. Irrespective of any financial gain.

2 days theory and studying and 3rd day flying test
That's the same type of course I've seen in Manchester & Gloucester.
They are both under £1000 tho. Wonder what makes the UAV one £500 more?
- this was one of the main reasons for me posting this in the first place, 'course' prices differ dramatically but in the end as long as you qualify for the CAA (separately) u can fly commercialy, legally.

You do need a Permission for Aerial Work (soon to be Permission for Commercial Operations) from the CAA to do anything.

In response to your questions Kosh:
1) It's the same for everyone; you need further permissions from the CAA if operating in a congested area or close to buildings
2) Flyby Technology are running courses in Shrewsbury.
3) Yes (or whatever costs the training provider charge). Plus insurance which you will need for your flight skills test which is a good £400+ sometimes.
4) No; the PfAW (PfCO) gives that permission as long as you operate within what you put in your Ops Manual which, in effect, is your contract with the CAA

The Flyby Technology website goes through all you need for your journey into the commercial world :) Hope that helps dude.

I highly recommend the 5day residential course with Commercial Drone Training. I did it and receive my PtF without any problems

Watch other courses with regards to the flight test as it sometimes has to be done at another location at another times and do they work through the Ops Manual with you. We spent a lot of time understanding what had to go in the Ops Manual so its accepted first time as often it is not.

Insurance you can get from FPV UK for £15 which covers the flight training and then you can get full insurance when you get work. You don;t have to have commercial insurance in place when you apply for your PtF

Thanks for all your support guys.
It looks like it going to take me a good 12 months to get back what it costs to fly 'legally' commercially in the UK. My main client has just informed me that he now has contact with a couple of photographers who offer full property internal and externals and a short video for £120!
I only do a couple a month that require/allow Ariel images [emoji37] the rest are just standard Photography

Sent from my XT1068 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I just booked a course with 3iC. Most of the courses are all the same. The main variable is whether you stay over or not. 2 days classroom and one day test and flight test. Then write the ops manual and off you send it to the CAA.

3iC seem to do things differently. £995 gets you the online course with self paced presentations to watch and a flight manual Template to fill in as you go. Then at a convenient time you do the test and flight test.

Much better for me and perhaps those who can't commit to 3 or 5 days off work. Worth having a look.

I don't work for them, but I bought the course today.

I just booked a course with 3iC. Most of the courses are all the same. The main variable is whether you stay over or not. 2 days classroom and one day test and flight test. Then write the ops manual and off you send it to the CAA.

3iC seem to do things differently. £995 gets you the online course with self paced presentations to watch and a flight manual Template to fill in as you go. Then at a convenient time you do the test and flight test.

Much better for me and perhaps those who can't commit to 3 or 5 days off work. Worth having a look.

I don't work for them, but I bought the course today.
Hi
I'm thinking of doing the 3ic training course. What did you think of it?

The guys are very supportive. I've been really busy and not started properly. The thing is.. doing it like this will take longer than just doing the usual 3 day course, and you cane it in 3 days whereas I've been faffing and not getting on with it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20